Best 10 Video to GIF Converters: Top Picks
An easy yet powerful editor
Numerous effects to choose from
Detailed tutorials provided by the official channel
Having trouble converting your videos to GIF? Browse the top 10 converters to sort this out!
Part 1 Why GIFs are Widely Used and Popular?
If you take a poll on the watch preference of GIF versus videos, most of votes you get would be in favor of watching GIFs. There are obvious reasons to the fact that anyone would prefer watching a GIF over a video, irrespective of its length. Some major ones that make it quite annoying to watch videos include the following:
● To begin with, you need to turn the video on and off, depending on your choice of watching a video or surfing through stories and feeds, failing which you get to hear additional sounds through your feed from the already running video. You further need to stop the music or go for a volume control in case you are not interested to watch the video.
● Most of the videos you run turn up to be irrelevant or uninteresting through the middle, but you don’t have a choice to make bit adjustments. If however possible, the method is not quite convenient. You may need to visit a different site in case you run a video that is not integrated with webpage of your searched content, wait for the portal’s interface to load or watch an advertisement.
● GIFs, on the other hand, do not require pausing or turning off, and run automatically. You also don’t need to mute any sounds. These ensure to-the-point message delivery and don’t divert your attention from the primary content you visit the webpage for.
Owing to the above, most of us are now much interested to convert videos to GIFs for an exact, impactful and to the point content creation and sharing. See through the next sections of this article to learn about the best video to GIF conversion tools and software.
Part 1 Top 10 Ways to Turn Video into GIF
Considering the credibility of GIFs, you may often require to convert your long videos into short and content specific GIFs. Given below are the 10 best methods to cater to the need of video to GIF conversion:
Wondershare Filmora Video Editor is one among the most popular and easy methods to convert videos to GIFs. It is compatible with almost all common video formats and is loaded with a plethora of exciting effects and editing tools. Take the following steps to create GIFs from videos using this application:
Step 1: Import Your Video
Launch Filmora and import your desired video in the app’s welcome window. To do this, click on ‘New Project’ followed by ‘Import’ option from the drop down menu to add your video to the Filmora.
Step 2: Timeline Dragging
Add your video to the app’s timeline using the ‘Drag and Drop’ method. You can also extract video frames by taking screenshots and merge these images into your GIF from the media library.
Step 3: Explore Your Editing Skills
You can now edit the imported video in the timeline using a range of interesting effects. Crop, trim, split or make speed adjustments to give your video a catchy look.
Step 4: Include Messages
Try adding texts and supplementary elements to deliver impactful messages through your creation.
Step 5: It’s Time to Share!
Click ‘Export’ to save your GIF to your device. You are now ready to post your work in your social communities to get the most deserved attention of your peers!
02YouTube to GIF
This one is a simple and user-friendly video to GIF converter. You can convert videos to GIFs from your PC or other online platforms with this converter. The converter allows you to play with a variety of editing effects to make your creation more interesting. All you need to do is the following:
● In the video URL bar, type ‘gif’ after ‘www.’ and you will be redirected to converter’s working window. Set the GIF time interval or apply specific effects using the tools from the panel in the left of the working window.
● To set the video time frame, highlight it in the video timeline. Set the desired interval using the ‘Start Time’ and ‘End Time’ options.
● To add a new visual effect, select it from the menu. Below the video timeline, a row of parameters will get displayed. Set the effect parameters to make desired changes.
● Click ‘Create GIF’. In the ‘Settings’ menu, you can rename and add tags to your creation and even make it private.
● That’s it! You can download your GIF now. You may get a converter purchase offer for enabling advanced features. While most users prefer sticking to the free version, it is up to you whether to decline or accept the purchase offer.
● The ‘Download’ feature is exclusive to registered users. However, if you don’t prefer creating an account, just open the GIF download link in a separate tab’s ‘Direct Link’ row. Alternatively, you can replace ‘gif’ with ‘conv’ in the video URL bar and choose ‘Convert to GIF’. However, this process may take some extra minutes.
03Giphy GIF Maker
This is an editing tool that you can use to convert video to GIF online. This one is a reliable converter tool with a user-cohesive interface. It is a simple video editor that is available to you for free. All you need to do is mentioned below:
Step 1: Load your Video
Go to the official app website and paste your desired video link in the search bar. Your video gets uploaded to the app’s editor screen. Specify the time frame and check out your GIF’s preview.
Step 2: Let’s Go Editing!
Select ‘Continue to Decorate’ to edit your GIF with texts, effects, frames and filters. You can even go for a straight upload if your video doesn’t require customization.
Step 3: Time to Share!
Select ‘Continue to Upload’ and add required tags. Tap ‘Upload to Giphy’ to make a social media post or add it to the app’s website through a specific share code.
This is an effective video to GIF creator tool, loaded with extensive features. You can use this application to convert videos, live photos and multiple snaps into interesting GIFs. TunesGo gives you the freedom to edit your work in your own style with a variety of effects. Here’s what you need to do:
Step 1: Launch TunesGo
Download, install and launch the app into your PC. You may be asked for a device connection setup, but you can skip that in case GIF creation is your only requirement.
Step 2: Upload your Video
In the app’s welcome screen, navigate to ‘Toolbox’ at the top. From the drop down interface, choose ‘GIF Maker’. In the new window that pops-up next, click on ‘Add’ to upload the desired video to the app from your PC.
Step 3: Let’s Create!
Set the required time frame for your GIF in the app’s timeline and tap the ‘Create GIF’ button to start the conversion process. On completion, your work gets automatically saved in the ‘Pictures’ folder in your PC. You can also customize your target location.
Vimeo is also a quick, 3-step video to GIF converter. However, you need to have a Vimeo account to take up the conversion process. This is an easy and hassle free GIF creator, that adheres to your creation needs within minutes. Here’s what you need to do:
Step 1: Upload Your Video
Log in to your Vimeo account. In the opening window, select ’Upload’ from the toolbar at the top. ‘Drag and Drop’ or click ‘Choose Files’ to upload the desired video from your device.
Step 2: Create Your GIF
After you are done uploading the video, select ‘Create a GIF’ from the sidebar at the left. You will be directed to the GIF Editor window. Select a loop section from the video and set a time frame of maximum 6 seconds in the video timeline. Now click ‘Create GIF’.
Step 3: Export Your Creation
Your GIF is ready to download and share. You can also embed your GIF by generating embed codes for specific platforms.
06 Adobe Photoshop
This one is one f the most popular editing applications you can use to make GIF out of video. It’s simple and user-friendly interface does not require you to possess a Photoshop mastery for the conversion purpose. Here’s what you need to follow:
Step 1: Search Your Video
Find a video of your choice from a desired platform. In case you want a YouTube video, add ‘ss’ prior to the video’s service name in YouTube’s URL bar.
STEP 2: Edit Your Video
Use any preferable video splitters and editors to crop, trim and add interesting effects to your video and set a maximum time frame of 3 seconds.
Step 3: Create GIF
Open your edited video in Adobe Photoshop and tap ‘File Import-Video frames into layers’.
Step 4: Adjust Settings
Make required setting adjustments and click on ‘File-Save for Web’. Try adjusting image resolution and color range if your file size exceeds 10 MB.
Step 5: Save Your Work
In the ’Files’ tab at the top, select ‘Save’ and choose the ‘.gif’ extension in the ‘File Type’ dialog box to save your creation to your PC.
This converter provides a simple, 3-step process to create GIF from video. Either use it as a browser extension or download it from Google Chrome Webstore. Take the following steps to convert videos to GIF online.
● Upload your desired video to the service timeline. You can either choose files directly or ‘Drag and Drop’ them from your device.
● Select ‘Convert’ to make GIF from your uploaded video.
● Tap ‘Download’ to save your creation.
You can use this service to make different format conversions. However, this converter does not allow you to edit or add effects your GIF.
You can use this tool as a GIF video maker online to create, exchange and share GIFs on different platforms. Additionally, you also get the flexibility to use already saved images in your device to add them to your GIF. The app’s basic version allows you to create GIFs without watermarks. To add watermarks, you will need an account on the app. To convert videos to GIFs using this tool, you should take the following steps:
Step 1: Upload Your Video
In the app’s welcome screen, click on ‘Video to GIF’ and upload a desired video in the editor timeline. Add effects and make speed and time frame adjustments. When satisfied, tap ‘Continue to Publishing’.
Step 2: Add Names and Tags
In the publishing window, give a suitable name and add required tags to your edited video to make it easily identifiable. When you are done, click on ‘Create a GIF’ from the bottom right.
Step 3: Ready to Share!
You can now share your created GIF across social media platforms.
Similar to Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere too is quite a preferred application for creating GIFs from videos. This is a simple, quick and free application that converts your videos to GIFs in a span of few minutes. Here’s what you need to do to go about the process:
Step 1: Edit your Video
Add a video of your choice in the Adobe Premiere timeline and play with your editing creativity to add desired effects and filters to it. Make sure to set requisite time frames to your edit.
Step 2: Prepare an Export
Click into the app’s video timeline, and prepare a file export using the following path:
File> Export> Media
Step 3: Settings Adjustments
In the Media Export window, navigate to the ‘Format’ tab. From the drop down menu, choose ‘Animated GIF’. Here, you can add your gif file, select its target destination and adjust the required settings.
Step 4: Export Your Work
Click ‘Export’ to share your creation on social media or click on ‘Queue’ to send your GIF to a specific media encoder.
1010. Movavi Video Converter
This is one of the latest video converter software you can rely on to make GIF from video files. This software allows you to create top quality animated GIFs and is compatible with a variety of video formats. Using this converter, you can create amazing GIFs in 5 quick steps: here’s what you need to follow:
Step 1: Download and Install the Software
To begin, download the converter software from its official site and adhere to the user instructions to install the same in your system.
Step 2: Upload Your Video
In the software’s opening window, click on ‘Add Media’ followed by ‘Add Video’ and select a desired video from your system to upload on the Movavi video timeline.
Step 3: Trim Your Video
Select ‘Edit’ from the right of your video file. In the editing window, specify the initial cut of the video by displacing the marker to the desired point. Click on ‘Scissors’ to add multiple cut points to your video. You can even drag the cut points around the editor timeline. Choose the unvented sections and click ‘Trash Can’. When the result satisfies you, click ‘Done’.
Step 4: Choose a Conversion Format
Navigate to the ‘Images’ tab and select ‘GIF’ and set an adequate size for the GIF. Here, you can adjust quality, frame size and rate and resize method using the ‘Cogwheel’ tool.
Step 5: Let’s Get Converting!
Tap ‘Convert’ and wait for the conversion to finish. You will be automatically directed to the folder where your converted files get saved.
● Key Takeaways from This Episode →
● GIFs are short, to the point and convenient to access, providing exact and impactful message delivery.
● The software market is flooded with a variety of editing tools to convert your dull videos to catchy GIFs.
● Filmora is a quick and smart editing tool that envisages your GIF creating experience with a range of exciting features.