Though Facebook is one of the best ways of keeping in touch with your friends and family, yet at times, some of us tend to be rather overwhelmed with the continuous flood of texts, likes, updates and advertisements. Moreover the advent of smartphones has made our engagement with social media all the more addictive. There is no lack of reasons why people want to do away with all social media engagements- maybe you are sick of all those food pictures your friend uploads or you are a rebel who doesn’t like to conform.
In a survey conducted by the researchers of the University of Winchester 10 self-proclaimed Facebook addicts were told to stop using Facebook for one month. Most of them have reported becoming totally alienated from friends and family and some even said that they felt absolutely cut off from the rest of the world. If you are tired of the constant Facebook notifications and want to take some time off social media then keep reading this article where we are going to tell you everything about how to delete your Facebook account.
If you are sick of your social media presence, then you have two options before you- you can either choose to deactivate your account or delete it permanently.
Deactivating your Facebook account implies:
1. You will be able to reactivate your account at any given time
2. Nobody will be able to find you on Facebook or view your timeline
3. The messages sent by you to your friends are going to remain visible
4. All your account information like your friends and interests are saved by Facebook
Deleting your Facebook account is something more serious. If you are considering to take a break from Facebook then you can just deactivate your account for a few weeks. However if you have decided to leave Facebook for good then you should consider deleting your account.
If you don’t want to use Facebook ever again then you need to delete your account permanently. However, once the account has been permanently deleted there is no option of reactivating it or retrieving anything previous shared. Ideally you need to download a copy of all your information for Facebook before you go about deleting it permanently.
1. Click the down arrow on the top right of the Facebook page
2. Choose the settings button
3. Now you will find the General Account Settings window. You need to hit on the link right in the bottom of the main menu saying ‘Download a copy of your Facebook data’.
4. Hit on ‘Start My Archive’. The file which would download is going to have all the information for your Facebook profile. Therefore, you need to be very careful about where to store it.
6. Now you are almost done deleting your Facebook account and all you need to do is confirm the steps of the process of deletion.
It could take up to 90 days for FB to delete all your activity on Facebook. While your posts are getting deleted, nobody is going to be able to view your profile. However the messages sent by you to a friend might still be present in her/his inbox.
But you may have had some good memories on Facebook, and if you want to continue on Facebook, you can also make some videos. Here, we recommend you Wondershare Filmora. Watch the video below to get some idea about making a video with Filmora.
Shanoon Cox is a writer and a lover of all things video.
Follow @Shanoon Cox
Other Recommend Products
Easy-to-use and powerful video editor for all creators.