How to Resolve OBS Black Screen When Recording
This article provides you with quick-fix tutorials that tackle both potential problems. And if you still experience the dreaded OBS screen capture black screen, we suggest an alternative editing suite you can use that is superior to OBS.
How to resolve obs black screen for game capture
I was using OBS Studio to record some videos of CS:GO with the 'Game Capture' option, but was consistently left frustrated with a black screen when I launched the game.
At the time there was no information on the internet, but I figured out the problem. So if you are experiencing the same problem here's the solution.
- Open up CS:GO or whatever games you want to use OBS game capture
- Pull up OBS
- Right click to pull up a menu a select 'Add'. If you like, name the file.
- In the 'game capture' box pull out the drop down menu at the top and select the game you want to capture. Then check the box titled, 'anti-cheat and compatibility hooking' and click okay.
Since I resolved my problem, I have noticed other users have encountered the OBS black screen when using a NVIDIA control panel. To fix the OBS black screen game capture with NVIDIA open the control panel and follow these instructions.
- Select 'Manage 3D Settings'
- Click on 'Program Settings tab
- Pull up OBS in the program list. If it's not there, add it to the list
- Open the application folder and select OBS64 or OBS32
- Tick 'show only programs'
- Select 'High Performance NVIDIA processor
Either of the options above should resolve OBS black screen. However, if the problem still persists, you may want to try alternative software that has a game capture feature such as Wondershare Filmora scrn.
Best alternative video editor – Filmora scrn
There are loads of recording services available online, but the stand-out screen capture software is Wondershare Filmora scrn. If you want high-impact results from your video recording software, Wondershare Filmora scrn is the real deal.
What makes Filmora scrn stand out is the wealth of features. You can record from your webcam and your computer at the same time, adjust the frame to record part of your screen or the full screen and add annotations or other elements.
Not only that, but the software also has a full editing suite so you can edit clips using a wide range of tools. The software also supports importing media files like audio, photos to customize your captures, and allows you to export MP4, MOV and GIF files.
How to capture game with Filmora scrn
Recording videos on Wondershare Filmora scrn is easy. All you have to do is follow the simple instructions below:
- Open Filmora Scrn and click 'Get Started.'
- Select whether you want to capture full screen or partial screen
- Choose the game you want to record (Filmora scrn is available for Minecraft, League of Legends, Overwatch, Dota, CS:GO for now)
- Select the fps.
- Set up audio. You can record using a microphone or just your computer. If you don't want sound, select don't capture.
- Add the file location you would like to store your video recording
- Tick the GPU Acceleration field
- Click capture.
- To stop recording press F10.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>