How to Make a Skype Group Chat on Android and iPhone
Sep 28, 2020• Proven solutions
Skype is a video, audio, and text communication app with an overwhelming 300 million monthly active users. It allows you to create video and audio group calls with a large number of people using diverse computing platforms and devices. Making a group chat on mobile devices makes it very easy and effortless to stay connected with coworkers, family, and friends, especially during the pandemic COVID-19 quarantines. Skype group chat feature offers an efficient and easy way to stay in touch while staying physically distant. In this article, you will learn:
Part 1: Skype Group Chat Settings You Should Know
You can access the Skype group chat settings in the profile window. To get to the group chat settings right-click your group name and select “Manage group”, you’ll get a new popup window on Skype with profile details and settings. Head down to the bottom of the “Profile” window and you’ll see “Group Settings”.
In Skype group chat settings, you can do the following:
- Hide conversation: If you want to hide your group chat from the chat list you can press this button. It will hide the conversation until a new message arrives in the group. You can use the search to find the group chat again.
- Enable or disable notification: You can turn on or off notifications to receive an alert when you receive a new message in the chat group.
- Smart notification: You’ll be notified only if someone quotes or @mentions you in the chat group.
- Add the group to the favorites: Add the group conversation to favorites to display it at the top of the Chats tab.
- Chat history: Lets everyone to see the chat history.
- Share group via the link: This option enables group members to create and share an invitation link for the group with other people
- Leave group: If you want to leave the group chat.
Part 2: Make a Skype Group Chat on Android
Skype enables you to start a skype group chat on your Android smartphone or tablet. Let’s see how it can be done (step by step):
- You can create a group chat from the home page, the “Chats” page by pressing the “New chat” button with a pencil icon.
- You can also access the “New Call” button from the “Calls” tab at the bottom of the Android screen. By pressing the “New Call” button you can select the new group call members and start the group call directly by selecting the contacts.
- Press “New Group Chat” to select the people you want to add to your new Skype group chat.
- Enter the new group name and select an image to be uploaded as the group picture and tap the checkmark.
- Write a shiny name for your group representing the aim of creating the group. As for the name I chose it’s just to show you how to create the group on skype.
- Now you’ll be presented with a list of all your contacts. Search through the list to find the people you want to include in your group. To add a contact just tap on the contact name and it is marked with a blue tick, also the contact appears on the top of the people list. Press “Done” to create the group.
- Your skype group chat will be created, and you’ll be taken to the chat window. Here you can have a video, audio call with the entire group members, share messages, files, pictures, etc.
- Now that you’ve created a new Skype group chat, you can call the whole group just by pressing the video call or audio call icon on the top right corner of the app. Add more people to the call by pressing the options menu and selecting “Add to call”. Skype has made the group video call less intrusive by making it ringless and the members will only receive a notification instead of the constant ringing.
- You can add more people to the chat group by tapping the “Invite More People” button at the bottom of the screen.
Part 3: Create a Skype Group Chat on iPhone
Skype is a multi-platform or cross-platform app that is supported on all mainstream operating systems including Apple’s iOS. Before we proceed with creating a Skype group chat on the iPhone, you’ll need to install the Skype for iPhone app from Apple App Store. Assuming you already have a Skype account, I’ll go directly into the steps to get started with making a group chat on iOS devices.
- Launch the Skype app on iPhone and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- After logging in to the app you’ll be presented with all the chats at the home page. Press the “Sync Contacts” if the contacts don’t show up automatically. To make a group chat on the iPhone press the “notepad” icon on the top right corner.
- On the next screen select the “New Group Chat” option.
- Write a name for the group and also select a picture. Now press the “arrow” icon to go ahead with the creation of the group.
- Sift through all your contacts and select the ones you want to add to the chat group. Otherwise, you can also search for particular people by their username in the search bar. Once you’re done selecting your group participants, press the “Done” button at the top right of the screen.
- Skype will take a few seconds to create a chat group for you and take you to the newly created group. To make a video call with all the group members press the “Camera” or “video” icon. Group members can join the call at any time during the call.
Chatting doesn’t need to be with a single person at a time, group chats can be a pleasing and convenient way to stay in touch with multiple people concurrently. Skype allows anyone to make a group chat to make video calls as well as voice calls to multiple users at the same time while allowing you to send text messages simultaneously with the video call and record the calls if need be. It is a multi-platform app supporting all the major operating system and device range, we can create a Skype group chat on both Android and iPhone devices to see the excellence of this amazing tool for keeping everyone in touch with friends or coworkers working remotely.