Best Slow-Motion Cameras in 2023
The memories of Keanu Reeves dodging bullets in slow-motion in the Matrix are still fresh even though the film was released some twenty years ago. Since that time slow-motion cameras have become much more affordable which enabled a myriad of video content creators to capture fascinating videos in slow-motion. Building suspense, making a scene more dramatic, or capturing movement that is too rapid to be observed with a naked eye is only a few reasons why filmmakers choose to record their footage in slow-motion. Read on, if you are looking for a camera that can help you capture mind-boggling slow-motion videos because in this article we are going to take you through the best slow-motion cameras in 2021 that fit both moderate and big budgets.
Best Slow Motion Cameras in 2022
You no longer need a professional camera to record videos at high frame rates, in fact, some recent Smartphone models allow you to shoot videos at both high resolutions and high frame rates, which makes them perfect for the production of slow-motion videos. Let’s take a look at some of the best slow-motion cameras you can find on the market in 2020.
1. Huawei P30 Pro
Only a few months after its release, Huawei P30 Pro is already setting the standards of Smartphone photography and videography, much like its predecessor Huawei P20 Pro has done a year earlier. The phone is equipped with a Leica Quad Rear Camera with 40MP, 20MP, 8MP, and TOF sensors, while it also features a 32MP front camera. The Huawei P30 Pro is capable of capturing slow-motion videos at 120fps, 240fps, and whooping 960fps, but it is only possible to record slow-motion videos in 1080p resolution at 120fps. The maximum resolution for super slow-motion videos captured at 240fps or 960fps is limited to 720p.
- 6,47-inch FHD OLED screen
- 8GB RAM + 256GB ROM
- 40 MP (Wide Angle Lens, f/1.6 aperture,OIS) + 20 MP (Ultra Wide Angle Lens, f/2.2 aperture) + 8 MP (Telephoto, f/3.4 aperture,OIS)
- 32 MP, f/2.0 aperture front camera
- 4K and Full HD resolution recordings
- ISO (50 to 409,600), shutter speed (1/4000s to 30s)
- Huawei AI Image Stabilization
- Support for Phase and Contrast Autofocus
- Remarkable slow-motion video recording features
- Excellent performance in low light conditions
- High image quality
- Incredibly light, which makes it ill-suited for handheld shots
- The quality of the videos recorded at 960fps is underwhelming
2. iPhone XR
You can hardly go wrong if you choose iPhone XR to record slow-motion videos, take pictures or shoot 4K videos at 60, 30, or 24fps. Unfortunately, you can’t capture slow-motion footage in 4K resolution, but you can decide if you want your slow-motion video to be recorded in 1080p resolution at 240fps or 120fps. Additionally, you can shoot a slow-motion video in 720p resolution at 240fps. The iPhone XR features a 12MP wide-angle camera that is much less powerful than the cameras featured on Huawei P30 Pro. Nonetheless, this iPhone model is still one of the best options for videographers that want to shoot high-quality slow-motion videos.
- 1-inch diagonal all-screen LCD Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- Water and dust resistant
- 4K video recording at 24fps,30fps, and 60fps
- Slow-motion video recording at 1080p at 120fps and 240fps
- Time-lapse video stabilization
- 7MP f/2.2 aperture TrueDepth Camera
- Continuous autofocus
- Cinematic video stabilization
- Superb slow-motion video quality
- Excellent dynamic range
- Powerful camera sensor
- Slow-motion video recording options are similar to those on earlier iPhone models
- Slow-motion video files are large in size
- Capturing slow-motion video in 4K resolution is not an option
3. GoPro Hero 7 Black
Slow-motion videos are not a recent addition to GoPro cameras because all models released since GoPro Hero 3 offered this feature. That’s why it is hardly a surprise that the GoPro Hero 7 lets its users capture super slow-motion videos at 240fps or 200fps in 1080p resolution. Moreover, this GoPro camera model also supports slow-motion recordings in 2.7K resolution and 120fps or 100fps which makes it one of the best consumer slow-motion cameras in 2019. Besides impressive video recording options GoPro Hero 7 Black features a HyperSmooth video stabilization technology designed to endure severe camera shakes.
- 8X Slow-Motion
- 4K video recording at 60fps
- 1080p video recording at 240fps
- Live streaming functionality
- 12MP Photos
- HyperSmooth video stabilization technology
- 5mm Audio Mic Input
- Time-lapse video and time-lapse photo features
- Excellent slow-motion video quality
- Endurable and water-resistant
- GoPro isn’t an interchangeable lens camera
- Short battery life
- Produces poor image quality in low light conditions
4. Sony PXW-FS7
Sony’s PXW-FS7 is perfectly suited for experienced industry professionals in need of a camcorder capable of delivering stunning performances on a broad range of shooting locations. This camera model can capture 1080p slow-motion videos at 180fps or 7.5X times its normal frame rate. The PXW-FS7 is equipped with a 4K Super 35 Exmor sensor that has 11.6 million pixels and 8.8 million effective pixels. Sony’s high-end camcorder has 14 stops of exposure and α lens mount that makes it compatible with a broad range of lenses. PXW-FS7 can record over eight hours of HD footage on a single 128GB memory card.
- 4K Super 35 Exmor sensor
- Built-in ND Filters
- Captures slow motion videos in Full HD at 180fps
- α lens mount
- ISO 2000 sensitivity
- External RAW Recording and Apple ProRes 422 recording
- Smart grip and telescoping arm
- Offers support for 4-channel audio recording
- Excellent for handheld shots
- Produces professional level slow-motion recordings
- Not a good option for inexperienced videographers
- Requires additional equipment
Aspects You Should Consider When Choosing A Slow Motion Camera
The reason why you’re creating a slow-motion video is the best way to determine which camera you should choose since there is no reason to spend thousands of dollars on equipment if you just want to make social media videos. In addition, the number of features a camera offers besides the slow-motion video recording options are also something you should pay attention to because you must be able to use a video camera for more than just one purpose. Consequently, if you are looking for a camera that enables you to create slow-motion videos you can quickly share on social media, then Huawei P30 Pro or iPhone XR is your go-to option. Videographers who need a video camera they can use for professional assignments should invest in a powerful camcorder like Sony PXW-FS7.
Recording your outdoor adventures or capturing a perfect moment in slow-motion can be a great way to share your stories with your friends on social media. Furthermore, slow-motion is frequently used in TV commercials and full feature films so you have to pick a camera that is best suited for the type of slow-motion video you’re trying to make. Which slow-motion camera are you going to be using in 2021? Leave a comment and let us know.
Do you want to edit GoPro video in Adobe Premiere easily? Check this article to know how to edit GoPro in Premiere.
by Liza Brown May 16, 2023 18:51 PM
What is the best GoPro editing software in the market? How to edit great GoPro videos by using them? Check our complete list of the best GoPro video editors and APPs.
by Liza Brown May 16, 2023 18:51 PM
The article below includes complete details about all entry level, mid range and high end alternatives to GoPro series action cameras.
by Liza Brown May 16, 2023 18:51 PM