Can I get GIFs with Sound on Mac?
Jun 23, 2021• Proven solutions
When GIFs were first introduced, no one knew how important they will become in the future. With the advent of social media, people have been more creative with GIFs than ever before. Apple has even introduced a GIF keyboard on their Mac devices.
With all that, there is a question that arises; can you have GIFs with sound on your Mac device? This is a frequently asked question around the internet. To answer that question, we shall discuss the history of GIFs first. GIFs or Graphics Interchange
Formats were invented by Steve Wilhite in 1987 along with his team at CompuServe. The GIFs were invented by Wilhite for one purpose. That was, being able to share a color image file without taking up too much space. He found a way to do it with the help of a compression algorithm pooled with image parameters like the 256 available colors.
So basically, GIFs are just animated images. So just like still images, GIFs with sound are not possible to achieve on your Mac. Although, there are ways to turn your GIF files into video files and play that same animation with the sound. This will change the file format but you will be able to achieve your desired result.
Section 1. Difference between GIF and mp4
The main difference between a GIF and an mp4 file is that GIFs are image files that have been compressed into frames that have a loop effect. On the other hand, mp4 is a video file. But there are different uses for both which will be discussed below:
GIFs are particularly easy to work with as their file size is small and they are compatible with all browsers. No matter how much you reduce the file size of a GIF, it will not lose its quality.
GIFs can support static as well as animated images. They always have low resolution and frames per second and only support 256 colors. GIFs are always in a loop which means they have a constantly repeated effect but can be paused and played with the click of a button.
Mp4 is a video file format. It is the most universal video file format and almost all devices around the world that can play videos support this format. However, mp4 is not an open-source format.
This format can retain a high quality while keeping the file size low. It can store audio and video files as well as static and text images. Some of the video formats supported by mp4 files are HEVC, H.264, and AVC.
|Low File Size
|Supports Audio Files
Section 2. Add Sounds to GIF with FilmoraX
As it was initially mentioned that GIFs with sounds are not possible yet there are alternatives. The best way to do that is to convert your GIFs to mp4, Avi, or WebM file format as they support images and texts.
Nevertheless, among all these three formats the best way to achieve GIFs with sound is to convert it to mp4 format because it is a universal format as well as it will keep the file size low unlike the other two.
For this purpose FilmoraX by WonderShare is recommended to be the best software to convert GIFs to mp4. The process is simple and easy as explained below:
1. First of all, open your WonderShare FilmoraX video editing application.
2. Click on the option File at the top left corner of your window and select Import media and then select Import media files.
3. Select your desired GIF file which will open in the preview box on the right side of your application window.
4. Drag your animation down to the timeline.
5. Once you have done that, click File again and select Import media.
6. This time, add the audio file you wish to add to your animation.
7. Drag that file down to the timeline right below your animation.
8. The next step is to drag the edge of your audio file according to your animation.
9. When you are done with that, click the Export option, which is on the top in the middle of the window.
10. After selecting the import option, a new window will open which will ask you the directory where you want to save and also the file format which you have to choose as mp4.
11. The final step is to click the Export option of the new window that had opened in the previous step and the process is then complete.
Now you can enjoy your GIF with sound. Keep in mind that the loop effect of GIF depends on the media player you are using. If it is uploaded on your social medial profile, you will need to change the settings manually.
GIFs were introduced to us a long time ago and no one thought could have thought of the fame this small image format will be able to achieve. With time, came the social media era. Now they are the most famous image files to be used on the internet for many purposes.
Still, people have been wondering if it can get GIFs with sound. The answer to that is a simple “no”. GIFs with sounds are not possible to achieve if you wish to keep them in GIF format.
Yet, you can add sounds to GIFs if you convert them to a video file format. The best video file format to do that is mp4. The most appropriate application to convert your GIFs to mp4 files is none other than WonderShare FilmoraX. FilmoraX makes it easy and fast to convert any GIF to mp4 file format and no other application even comes close to it.