FLV Videos are Flash Video files with a .flv file extension. FLV video files were once one of the most popular video file types and the standard video format used for embedding videos on the internet and streaming. Even though video files like mp4 and mkv have gained more popularity today, you can still come across many Flv videos on the internet.
In this article, you’ll be learning How to Resize FLV Videos Efficiently on all the platforms. But wait, what exactly does the resizing mean? When you are working with videos, resizing can mean two things: one is changing the aspect ratio or resolution of the video and another is changing the file size of the video. So let’s see how we can resize the flv videos efficiently on different platforms:
Best FLV Editor to Resize FLV Videos on Windows and Mac – Filmora Video Editor [with steps]
Among many different video editors available today, Filmora Video Editor is the one that climbs up the rank to the top. It is the best FLV editor on Windows and Mac for resizing and editing flv videos. Different social media platforms require videos of different sizes, resolutions, and aspect ratios. For eg: YouTube requires horizontal video, TikTok requires vertical, Emails have a size limit for every file, etc. That’s when the Filmora Video Editor comes into play for fast and easy resizing of any video for different platforms.
Why choose Filmora Video Editor for resizing FLV videos, you say?
- Simple UI and easy interface
- Easily crop or change the aspect ratio of the video
- Not all video editors support FLV video format, but the Filmora does
- Advanced export options to compress or change the file size of video
- Suitable for beginners as well as professionals
- Regular software updates and improvements
Plus, Filmora Video Editor has a free version, so you can instantly download the program, install it, and get started on resizing FLV Videos. Below is a step-by-step guide to resize FLV Videos on Windows and Mac with Wondershare Filmora Video Editor, so you can follow along!
Steps to resize FLV videos with Filmora Video Editor:
- Launch Filmora and open a new project
Run the Wondershare Filmora application on Windows or Mac after installing it. Then you should automatically be inside a new project. If not, you can manually open a new project by going to File on the top left corner and then clicking on ‘New Project’.
- Import the FLV video and add it to timeline
Click on ‘Import Media Files’ and import the flv video into project media from your computer’s file explorer. Then add the video to the timeline by dragging it inside the timeline.
- Edit and perform desired modifications (Optional)
If you are just looking to resize the FLV video file, then you can skip this step and move to step no. 4. Otherwise, you can do various editings on the video like cropping, muting, trimming, animating, etc. before resizing the video. Filmora provides a wide range of features for editing and adding effects to the video.
- Resize the video by changing the aspect ratio
Aspect ratio defines the shape of your video like if you want the video to be horizontal, vertical, square, or custom. Generally, the term ‘resizing video’ refers to changing the aspect ratio of the video. For that, go to the File and then to the Project Settings. Then on the Aspect Ratio box, select the one that you prefer or you can try custom scaling. You can choose your preferred resolution of the project too while you’re at it.
- Resize the video by cropping
When you change the aspect ratio of the project, some parts of your flv video might not fit or it might be shrunk small to fit. So you need to resize the flv video by cropping so that you can crop and focus on the part of the video you like. To crop the video, select the flv video clip in the timeline and click on the crop icon in the timeline toolbar. Now choose the ratio you want to crop and select the part you’d like to keep. Then click OK and your flv video will be resized.
- Adjust the file size of the video through export settings
After you’ve cropped and resized the Flv video, you need to export it by clicking the Export button on the top center part. There are different settings available for exporting the video. Click on the Settings button near the resolution and you’ll be shown some detailed preferences for exporting. Every setting here like frame rate, resolution, bitrate, etc. can affect the size of the output video.
Filmora Video Editor really makes the task of editing and resizing FLV videos easier, simpler, and faster. Since you now know the steps, it’s time you try it and resize your own FLV videos with this best FLV Editor for Windows and Mac.
Alternative Way to Resize FLV Videos on Windows
In case you want to try something different than Filmora, here are two alternative software (one paid and another free) that you can use to resize your FLV Videos on Windows:
- Movavi Video Editor Plus
Movavi Video Editor Plus is one of the best easy-to-use video editors that can help you to resize FLV videos as well as edit them on Windows. Its interface and functionalities are somewhat similar to that of the Filmora Video Editor. This is a paid software available for download on both Windows and Mac but you can try it for free with their 7 days trial version.
Steps to resize FLV videos on Windows with Movavi Video Editor:
- Install Movavi Video Editor and run the software on your PC. Then you should automatically be inside a new project in it.
- Import the FLV video file you want to resize through the ‘File Import’ tab on the left and drag it to the timeline.
- To resize the aspect ratio, expand the resolution options near the preview screen above the export button and select the preferred ratio.
- To crop or resize the video, select the clip in the timeline and use the crop tool to make adjustments as you wish. Then hit Apply to save changes.
- After the video is ready, export it with the Export button on the right side of the screen. Then choose your preferred settings for output and click on Start after which your video will be rendered and saved to your PC.
- VSDC Free Video Editor
VSDC Free Video Editor is another alternative to Filmora for resizing FLV videos on Windows. It is a free video editor that packs a wide range of editing features without any restrictions. However, it does have a paid version with some advanced features and hardware acceleration.
Steps to resize FLV videos on Windows with VSDC Free Video Editor:
- Install and open VSDC video editor on your PC. Then create a new project with preferred settings through the ‘Projects’ tab on the top left corner.
- Import the video file into the project by dragging and dropping it directly into the timeline.
- To resize the aspect ratio, click on the Projects Explorer and click on your project name. Then in the Properties windows on the right, manually adjust width, height, resolution, etc. according to your preferences.
- To crop and reposition your video, select the clip in the timeline and go to the Editor tab on the top. Then use the crop tool and adjust your video accordingly.
- Finally export your design through the Export project tab at the top with preferred settings.
Alternative Way to Resize FLV Videos on Mac
Wondershare Filmora Video Editor is also available for Mac operating system which is recommended to resize FLV videos but if you want to try out some other alternatives, then below are the two ways to resize FLV videos on Mac:
- VideoProc Converter
VideoProc is a powerful video editor/ converter that helps you edit, convert, and resize any kind of video. It also supports a wide range of codecs and video formats including flv. It is a paid software but you can also try their free trial version with some limitations.
Steps to resize FLV videos on Mac with VideoProc:
- Launch VideoProc on a Mac device and go inside the Video
- Add files in VideoProc by drag and drop method or directly through the ‘Add Video’ option.
- Then click on the Options (codec) on the right side of the video and change the resolutions and aspect ratio of the video as you want. You can also manage export settings like quality, codec, fps, bitrate, etc. from this tab.
- Then go to the Crop section inside the Edit Video tab and crop the video as you like with preview and different other options.
- Finally click Done to go back and hit the Run This’ll start rendering the video and will save it to your Mac device.
Shotcut is another alternative to Filmora Video Editor for resizing FLV videos on Mac. It is a free, open-source, and cross-platform video editor that has a sleek and intuitive interface with many useful editing features which really makes it suitable for both beginners as well as advanced editors.
Steps to resize FLV videos on Mac with Shotcut:
- Run the Shotcut program on your Mac after installing it and create a new project.
- Import the Flv video file to the project by drag and drop method into the timeline.
- To change the resolution and aspect ratio of the video, go to the Settings tab, then Video mode, and choose the format you want.
- To crop the video, select the clip in the timeline and go to the Filters Now click on the ‘+’ icon and select Size, Position & Rotate under the Favorite section. Then adjust crop settings as you like.
- Finally, go to the Export section at the top and click on Advanced. Then configure the output settings as you like and click on Export File.
2 Ways to Resize FLV Videos on Android
Wouldn’t it be great if you could resize FLV videos on your android device rather than having to open your computer for every small task? Previously, this was a major issue due to a lack of good video editors for android with flv support but that’s no longer the case. Below are two ways to resize FLV videos on android:
- AndroVid – Video Editor, Video Maker
AndroVid is an easy-to-use, full-featured video editor especially developed to edit videos for social media like YouTube, TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, etc. It is not a very popular application with just over 300k+ downloads in Google Play Store, but after testing it out, we thought it deserves to be in this article. It is available for free to download from Google Play Store.
Steps to resize FLV videos on Android with AndroVid Video Editor:
- Open AndroVid Video Editor on an android phone and go inside the Videos
- Now select the FLV video file that you want to resize.
- Inside editor, tap on the Crop tool in the toolbar at the top.
- Then select the preferred Aspect ratio from the top right, reposition the video area and tap on the tick icon to save the video.
- If you need to change the resolution too, click on the three dots at the top right after the video is saved successfully. Then choose the preferred resolution, quality, and format and click on the tick icon to export.
2 Ways to Resize FLV Videos on iPhone
Like Android, you can also resize FLV videos on your iPhone on the go without needing to use your computer. Doing such editing on mobile phones can really save your time and effort, so here are 2 ways for you to resize FLV videos on iPhone:
- Cyberlink Powerdirector
Cyberlink Powerdirector is one of the most popular as well as powerful video editors for Android and iOS. It is a full-featured mobile video editor with over 130M+ downloads on the App Store which allows you to do an advanced level of editing. It is a paid software but also has a free version available for download.
Steps to resize FLV videos on iPhone with PowerDirector:
- Launch the PowerDirector app on your iPhone and create a new project. Unlike other apps, you cannot change the aspect ratio later, so you need to set the aspect ratio you want while creating a new project.
- Now add the FLV video file into the timeline by tapping on the ‘+’ icon on the video. Then tap on the play button at the top right to enter the editor.
- To resize the video, select the video clip in the timeline and tap on the pencil icon at the bottom left. Then use different crop tools available to resize your video as you want.
- After you resize the video, tap on the export button on the top right to export it. Then tap on Produce and Share, and produce resized video with preferred settings.
- Splice – Video Editor & Maker
Splice – Video Editor & Maker is a simple yet powerful application that makes it easy to create fully customized and professional-looking videos on iPhone. It is another great app for resizing FLV videos on iPhone with over 70M+ downloads on App Store and it is available for free.
Steps to resize FLV videos on iPhone with Splice:
- Open the Splice app on the iPhone and tap on the ‘+’ icon to create a new project.
- Now select the flv video file to add and start the project.
- To resize the video, tap on the gear icon at the top right corner which opens up Project settings from where you can change the aspect ratio.
- To crop the video, select the clip in the timeline and tap on the Crop option in the toolbar. You can crop and reposition the video from there.
- Then click on the Export icon at the top right corner to export the video with preferred configurations.
2 Ways to Resize FLV Videos Online
Resizing is not that big of a task and you might just want to quickly resize your Flv video and share it. So why bother installing and running large video editing programs on your computer or even mobile phones when you can easily resize your videos in the web browser? Yes, you read that right, and below are the 2 ways for you to resize FLV videos online:
Veed is a simple online video editing tool that you can access from any device with the help of a web browser. It can help you resize your Flv videos easily within just a few clicks. It has a clean and beautiful interface with a responsive design which provides you with a good editing experience while using it. It is a paid tool but you can also try it for free before purchasing it.
Steps to resize FLV videos online with Veed.io:
- Go to veed.io on your web browser and click on ‘Upload Your Video’ to get started without any account.
- Now upload the FLV video or you can directly drag and drop the video there.
- After you upload the video, you’ll be taken inside the Veed editor. To change the aspect ratio, go to the Size section inside Project Settings and choose the size you want to resize to.
- To crop the video, select the clip in the timeline and directly resize the video from the preview area. And you can also use settings like ‘Fill the canvas’ and ‘Fit the canvas’ at the left side for ease.
- Then click on the Export button at the top right corner to open Export settings. Configure the settings as you like and click on ‘Export Video’ to render and download the video.
When it comes to resizing or editing videos online, Clideo is one of the best tools you can rely on. Like Veed.io, it has a clean and responsive interface and supports many video formats including flv. Clideo is free to use but also comes with various subscription plans for extra functionalities.
Steps to resize FLV videos online with Clideo:
- Go to clideo.com/resize-video and upload your video through ‘Choose file’ button.
- To resize the aspect ratio, choose your desired formats in the ‘Resize for’ section. You can also manually set the aspect ratio.
- Then just below that, you’ll find various cropping options. Use them to crop or resize the video as you like.
- Finally, click on the Export button at the bottom right corner to export the video. You can download the video or can directly save to cloud storage like Drive, Dropbox, etc.
FAQs about Resizing FLV Video
Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to resizing FLV videos that you might be interested in:
- How do I make FLV files smaller?
You can make FLV files smaller with the help of any video editor that supports Flv video format by cutting and cropping out unnecessary parts, decreasing the resolution, and bitrate, and converting flv into another lighter file format.
- Which video editors support FLV file format?
There are few video editors like Filmora, Movavi, VSDC, etc. that support the FLV file format. But when it comes to editing FLV videos, Filmora Video Editor is the best choice.
- How do I view an FLV file?
FLV is one of the oldest video formats due to which most new and modern video players don’t recognize it or can’t play it. However, there are few programs like VLC media players which can help you view an FLV file. Or you can also convert the FLV file into other supported video formats with the help of a video converter.
- Can I convert a horizontal FLV video into a vertical one?
Yes, and that’s a piece of cake when you use Filmora Video Editor or other similar video editors. You just need to change the aspect ratio of the video or the project from horizontal (generally 16:9) to vertical (generally 9:16).
- Can I resize FLV video files on my mobile?
Though video editors on mobile are not as powerful as those on PC, there are some that are still capable enough to let you easily resize FLV video files on mobile devices. Some examples are Splice, Powerdirector, etc.