How to Make a YouTube Channel – a Step-by-Step Guide
Mar 23, 2021• Proven solutions
Want to learn how to make a YouTube channel and become a YouTuber? A YouTuber is essentially anyone that uploads and shares videos on the YouTube platform. People have different reasons why they wish to become a YouTuber. Some do it for the fame while others do it just because they love making videos.
So how do you get started as a YouTuber? This article will help you create a YouTube Channel and become a YouTuber.
- Create a YouTube Channel Using Your Current Google Account
- Create a YouTube Channel Using a New Google Account
- Uploading a Profile Picture for YouTube
- Changing Your YouTube Channel Art
- Filling In Your ‘About’ Page
Create a YouTube Channel Using Your Current Google Account
You’ll need to have a Google Account before you can create your YouTube channel (YouTube and Google are the same accounts). A Google Account gets you to access to all of Google’s products, one of which is YouTube. If you’ve ever used any of Google’s products, such as Maps or Gmail, then your job is already halfway done since it means you already have a Google account. All that’s left is to sign in to YouTube using that account.
If you don’t have a Google Account, you can create one in a few easy steps.
For those who already have a Google account, you can sign in to YouTube by inputting your Gmail (Google Email) account and your password.
Once you’ve signed in to YouTube, you can start enjoying all of its features. Some of the features include:
Let people know when you enjoy their videos.
Subscribe to Channels
Subscribing to channels will result in a steady stream of content you enjoy being put in front of you. Whenever there’s a new video on a channel you’re subscribed to, you’ll be notified immediately (just don’t forget to click the notification bell!).
This feature allows you to save your favorite videos and watch them over and over again.
With the help of your liked videos, the channels you subscribe to, and the videos you’ve watched, YouTube can also make personalized video recommendations and direct you to similar content. This is the way most people interact with YouTube, but most people aren’t YouTubers.
Until you start posting videos, you're not really a YouTuber.
Create a YouTube Channel Using a New Google Account
One of the benefits of creating a new Google account instead of using your personal Google account is that it allows you to create a channel name.
The first step in creating a YouTube Channel is coming up with a name for your Channel. You want to pick a name that is catchy, sticks to the minds of people, and, most importantly, something that’ll be descriptive of your personal brand.
As a YouTuber, you’ll more than likely want to monetize your videos. This means developing and promoting your brand. One way you can do this is to create a dedicated Google account for your brand and use that together with your Channel instead of your regular Google account. You can use the name of your channel to create the Google account.
One of the benefits of creating a brand account is that it can be entirely dedicated to anything and everything concerning your channel. If you’re selling a product or service on your channel and people want to contact you, they can reach you through the email. Let's say you wish to get a guest on one of your videos. You can get across to them using the channel dedicated email. That way they know who it’s from and can identify the channel that is reaching out to them. If you were to carry out such correspondence using your regular email account, there’s a higher chance that your email will be ignored seeing as they won’t know who’s trying to contact them.
Uploading a Profile Picture for YouTube
Your profile picture or channel icon shows over your channel art banner (page header). It is this icon that other users and your subscribers get to see. Your channel usually comes with a default image (typically the image associated with your Google account). If you’re using a brand-related email with an image corresponding to your brand (such as a logo), then you may want to leave the image as is. However, if you're going to change the image to something new, there are a couple of things you’ll need to know.
- Do not upload images containing nudity, or copyrighted images.
- The supported file formats include JPG, BMP, GIF (no animated GIFs), and PNG.
- The recommended image size is 800 X 800px.
Here are step by step instructions to help you change your channel icon:
- Log in to your YouTube account. If you have multiple Google accounts, just select the one associated with your Channel.
- Once you’ve logged in, click on the gear icon and you’ll see a webpage showing all the information about your account.
- Click on your channel name’s hyperlink. This should direct you to your channel and give you the ability to edit some of the information.
- At the upper left corner of your channel’s page, you’ll see a box underneath your subscriber count. Clicking on it will reveal a pencil icon and when you click on the pencil icon you’ll be prompted to edit your profile picture.
- Select your desired profile picture by uploading from the internet, your computer, or taking a picture using your computer’s webcam.
- Confirm your choice to change the profile picture.
Changing Your YouTube Channel Art
Your channel art, or banner, shows on top of your YouTube page. You can use it to build your brand identity and provide viewers with important information. It also helps to make your page stand out and look unique.
Here’s a step-by-step guide that’ll help you change the design of your channel art. You should bear in mind that your channel art will look different on mobile, desktop, and TV displays.
- If you haven’t signed in to your YouTube account, start by doing that.
- Select “My Channel” from the top-right menu.
- If this is your first time adding channel art to your page, click on “Add Channel Art” at the top of the screen. If you wish to change an existing channel art, hover over the current banner until you see an “edit” icon. Click on the icon and select “Edit Channel Art.”
- Upload an Image from your saved photos, your computer, or you can choose a picture from YouTube’s photo library by clicking on the “Gallery” tab.
- Confirm your selection.
Click here if you're interested in YouTube channel art makers, or download 50 free YouTube banners here.
Filling In Your ‘About’ Page
As a YouTuber and a (proud) channel owner, you can include information about your channel and yourself for visitors to see so they can get to know you better. Part of promoting your channel involves letting people know a little bit about you, the brains behind the channel. Here are the steps for adding a channel description.
- Log into your YouTube account.
- Click on your channel icon in the upper right corner of your page.
- Click on the Creator Studio
- In the Creator Studio, you’ll see a “View Channel” button. Click on that.
- From there you can access the About section of your page (just locate the “About” button).
- Click on “Add Channel Description” and fill in your desired description (you can talk about yourself, the channel, or the idea that led to the channel’s creation).
- Save the description and click on “View as Public” to see how it appears to viewers.
Now that you know how to go about creating a YouTube channel, there’s nothing to stop you from following your passions and becoming a YouTuber. Perhaps you’ve always wanted to make people laugh, or maybe you want to share your technical knowledge (such as tutorials to help anyone who wants to learn how to code). Whatever your talents are – no more hiding them!
Do you have any of your own advice on how to make a YouTube channel?