Video editing is the process of cutting and rearranging multiple clips or segments of video to create a new and more improved video. This involves adding titles, animations, sound effects, music and more. Video editing has not ceased to follow the trend of technology as it keeps thriving tirelessly through the ages. With advancement springing forth from many sides, video editing followed every pace to ensure it’s not left behind. This largely involves gadgets, computers and smartphones.
Before the advent of smartphones, computers have been the only video editing tools, and that culture is preserved even till date as its use has spread round the world. It is therefore evident that film making cannot bypass this process. Improvements have been made over the years on video editing softwares for computers to stay up to date as regards features and usability. There are other video editors which were introduced, and are still being updated such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut, Filmora and so on. As the case is today, smartphones have proven to be relevant in the process; they have also come up with video editing applications such as Power Video Director, InShot, Filmora for Android, Kinemaster and many more for Android, iPhone and iPads.
This article aims at giving guides and steps on how to rotate AVI videos using different softwares on different PCs (Windows and Mac) and smartphones (Android and iPhone). This does not leave online video editing softwares behind also.
WHAT IS AVI?
AVI means Audio Video Interleave. It’s a multimedia container format introduced by Microsoft in November 1992 as part of its video for Windows technology. AVI files can contain both audio and video data in a file container that allows synchronous audio-with-video playback.
KDENLIVE – FREE FOR WINDOWS
Introduced in 2002, Kdenlive has a good quality and design. The design is straightforward, user-friendly which makes you know what you are getting into, as well as the actual quality of the effects that you might want to apply to your video while editing. Overall, it looks really professional, neat and organized.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO IN KDENLIVE
- STEP 1 - Launch Kdenlive on your Windows and import the video from where you have saved it locally. Drag and drop video on timeline
- STEP 2 - Select video effects and in the search box, type ‘rotate’ and click on it. Click on effects, then select video effects
- STEP 3 - Drag the video to the timeline and go to effects, then drag and drop the ‘rotate’ effect on the clip.
ALTERNATIVE WAY TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ON KDENLIVE
- STEP 1 - Create a vertical project: create profile, select size, 1080 x 1920 and select aspect ratio: 9:16. Afterwards, there will be a vertical outline on your program window. Import your video to the project bin and drag it to the timeline
- STEP 2 - Go to effects, then click on ‘transform’ and double-click on it
- STEP 3 - Go to the down-right part of your screen and click on ‘rotation’ and highlight to change the number to whichever is ideal for your screen; you can change it to 270. This will make it rotate but will not fill the screen yet. Highlight the size and change it to 180 an hit the ‘enter’ key.
OPENSHOT – FREE FOR WINDOWS
OpenShot Video Editor is a free and open-source video editor for Windows, macOS, Linux, and Chrome OS. The project started in August 2008 by Jonathan Thomas, with the objective of providing a stable, free, and friendly to use video editor.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ON OPENSHOT
- STEP 1 - Launch OpenShot on your Windows and import your clip form where you’ve saved it locally
- STEP 2 - Drag and drop footage on your timeline and click on the ‘play’ button to check your footage. Right click on the footage and an option box will appear
- STEP 3 - Click on rotate; you can choose to rotate either left or right. Rotate till it ideally fits the screen
ALTERNATIVE WAY TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ON OPEN SHOT
- STEP 1 - Launch OpenShot on your Windows and drag your footage to the timeline.
- STEP 2 - Right click on your video and select properties.
- STEP 3 - Go to rotation and change the value, and your video will rotate
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO – PAID FOR WINDOWS
Introduced in 2003, Adobe Premiere Pro is known to be a video editing software. It has a lot of features that can be used in the process of editing. It’s capable of editing feature movies such as Hollywood and the likes.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ON ADOBE PREMIERE PRO – FIXING A LANDSCAPE SHOT
- STEP 1 - Go to sequence and click on sequence settings
- STEP 2 - Click on frame size and type in 3840; for the horizontal, type in 2160 and then proceed to click ok
FIXING A PORTRAIT SHOT
- Put your play-head (the thin line that moves over the clips on your timeline) on the clip on the timeline
- Go to the top and click on ‘Editing’, then you go to effects control
- Go to ‘scale’, and type in the number according to the degree you desire to effect
your rotation. However, your video will be just perfect if you type in -90
ALTERNATIVE WAY TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ON ADOBE PREMIERE PRO
- STEP 1 - Go to the effects window and search for ‘flip’
- STEP 2 - Click on ‘Transform’. You can then decide to do a horizontal flip or a vertical flip
- STEP 3 - All you need to do is click and drag it on to your clip and it will flip, whether horizontal or vertical
- STEP 4 - It is easy to remedy when you click and drag the other to place on your footage, whether horizontal or vertical.
TO ROTATE YOUR CLIP
- STEP 1 - Highlight your footage on the timeline and go to your effects controls window. Underneath ‘motion’, there is the perimeter of rotation. If you click and drag the mouse on the number, it will rotate either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Also, you can type in whatever rotation amount you want
- STEP 2 - It’s also worth mentioning that when you rotate a clip, you’re always rotating around the inker point (the little blue cross in a circle). You can click and drag this through the program monitor to any point on the clip and start rotating it around the inker point. In fact, it doesn’t have to be on the clip; you can make the inker point up further and rotate, and will still rotate around the inker point. If you don’t see this on your program monitor, that’s because you haven’t highlighted the motion.
- STEP 3 - A good tip is using guides to help you level and horizontal or whether you are working with on-screen. To get a slant perfectly leveled, there’s an easy way to reference a straight line on your program monitor. On the bottom right of your program monitor is the button [a plus (+) button] editor. Click on it and a box full of tools will pop up which you can work with. Click ‘add show rulers’, ‘show guides’ and ‘safe margins’
- STEP 4 - In the ruler section, take your mouse, click and drag it down to the little crosses of your safe margins. The same goes for the vertical ruler; click and drag over. That will create a new guide. For your footage, what you might need to do is get your horizontal guide down to your horizon view. You can go to your rotation and rotate your footage to get straight with your guide. If you are left with black bars at the corners, take off your safe margin rulers and guides and then zoom in on your footage and take off the black bars. To do this, go back to your effect controls
- STEP 5 - Instead of doing rotation, you scale by clicking and sliding the mouse on the number to the right
iMOVIE – FREE FOR MAC
iMovie is a preinstalled video editing application developed by Apple Inc. for macOS, Ios, and iPadOS devices. It was originally released in 1999 as a Mac OS 8 application bundle with the first FireWire-enabled consumer Mac model, the iMac DV. With iMovie, you can create professional-looking videos without an editing degree.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO IN iMOVIE
- STEP 1 - Run iMovie on your PC and create a new project by clicking ‘create new’ and selecting ‘movie’. Import your footage: Click on the arrow pointing downwards just below your menu bar, and select the video from wherever it is saved locally.
- STEP 2 - Click on the video once it’s imported; make sure it has the yellow boundary on it. Click and drag it onto the timeline
- STEP 3 - Leave your play-head on the footage and go just above your program window and click on the crop icon, the third from the left. Afterwards, a rotate ion will show just by the right above the program monitor. There are actually two buttons to rotate in either direction. You can save time by clicking the correct direction for whichever way your videos need to be rotated
- STEP 4 - Your videos is rotated; you can go ahead and save
FILMORA – PAID FOR MAC
Formerly known as Wondershare Video Editor as at when it first launched in 2015, Filmora Video Editor is a video editing software that helps businesses create and distribute white-labeled marketing videos. Filmora is an easy-to-use video editing software for a beginner. It supports 50 above formats, 4k editing, Filmstock effects store, all basic and advanced editing tools in the most easily accessible and used manner.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO IN FILMORA
- STEP 1 - Run Filmora on your PC, import your video from where it has been locally saved and drag to the timeline
- STEP 2 - Go to file, and select ‘project settings’. By default, the video is recorded on portrait – 9:11, so change the aspect ratio to 16:9
- STEP 3 - Go to your timeline and double-click your footage. A box of options will pop up beside the program monitor. Simply go to rotate and click and slide to rotate. It may be difficult to line it up even and straight. Just go to the program monitor and click on the little line and drag; it makes it easier to align
- STEP 4 - Go to ‘scale’ and slide it to the right to make it fill the screen. Your video is rotated and ready to be previewed
VIDEOLEAP – PAID FOR ANDROID AND iPHONE
Videoleap includes the usual basic cutting and pasting tools, plus greenscreen aspect ratios, slow-mo and fast motion, audio editing, and unlimited undo and redo actions. Access to the app and premium features is available with a subscription for $7.99/month, or with additional discounts if bought as a one-time purchase or multiple month bundles.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO IN VIDEOLEAP
- STEP 1 - Launch Videoleap on your android and Import your footage from where you have saved it locally. Tap on ‘transform’, and then tap on rotate, then tap on rotate as many times as it takes so that it can be ideally fit
- STEP 2 - Change the format from 16:9 (YouTube format) to 9:16 (for TikTok). To do that, deselect the clip, tap on canvas, and then choose 9:16. Play the clip to preview and save.
INSHOT – FREE FOR ANDROID
InShot app is an all-in-one visual content editing app. It allows you to create videos, edit photos, and create image collages. The app has plenty of features too. You can trim clips, change the speed of your footage, and add filters, music and text. InShot is a free mobile application that you can download on your Windows to create or edit videos and photos.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ON INSHOT
- STEP 1 - Import your video from where you have locally saved it
- STEP 2 - Tap on the clip, and swipe the toolbar to the left to find the ‘rotate’ icon. When you tap on ‘rotate’, it will rotate your video to your left; you can keep rotating till it’s ideally fit
QUICKTIME VIDEO EDITOR – FREE FOR MAC
- Open your video on your PC using the Quicktime program. Go to ‘edit’ and click on ‘rotate left’; keep clicking until your video ideally fits the screen. Your video is rotated successfully. Preview, save and export your video.
VLLO – PAID FOR ANDROID
VLLO is a super easy video editor. Beginner and casual users will enjoy editing video with its intuitive but precise control abled split, txt, BGM and transition. For the pro editors, premium paid features are also ready with Chroma-Key, PIP, mosaic and keyframe animations.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO IN VLLO – LANDSCAPE TO PORTRAIT
- STEP 1 - Import your footage from where you have saved it locally and change aspect ratio to 16:9 and select the ‘fill’ icon.
- STEP 2 - On your timeline, click on the footage and select the curved arrow icon to rotate as you click and drag. You can choose to rotate either ways, and your video is rotated, and ready to be previewed and saved
VEED – ONLINE/CLOUD-BASED VIDEO EDITOR
VEED.IO is an online video editing platform that makes creating videos easy and accessible to everyone. Millions of creators around the world use our products to tell stories, create content, grow their audience and more.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ONLINE USING VEED – PORTRAIT TO LANDSCAPE
- STEP 1 - Create an account online on Veed – Visit www.veed.io
- STEP 2 - Click the ‘view project’ button and import/upload footage form where it has been saved locally
- STEP 3 - Go to ‘edit video’ and select ‘adjust’. Go to rotation and click and drag to the right and to the left for your video to fit ideally
- STEP 4 - You can export your video once it is rotated
ALTRNATIVE WAY TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ONLINE USING VEED
- STEP 1 - Import your footage and drag it to the timeline
- STEP 2 - Click on ‘try sample’ or ‘upload video’
- STEP 3 - Click on ‘rotate’. Click to rotate either ways, 90 degrees
- STEP 4 - Go to crop and choose whether ‘vertical’ or ‘landscape’ to get rid of the bars
WEVIDEO – ONLINE/CLOUD-BASED VIDEO EDITOR
WeVideo is an online, cloud-based video editing platform that works in web browsers and on mobile devices. The company was originally founded in 2011 in Europe. Their main headquarters is in Mountain View, California with a team based in Romania.
HOW TO ROTATE AVI VIDEO ON WEVIDEO ONLINE
- STEP 1 - Import your footage and drag it to the timeline
- STEP 2 - Click on the little pencil icon right above the timeline
- STEP 3 - That will open up your editor, popping up a box full of option. Select the ‘transform’ tab, then two arrows right in front of ‘rotation’ till it fits: two clicks for 180, and one click for 90. Adjust it as needed, and save changes to preview.