Tiktok, Instagram reels, and Ads are well-known short video platforms that are popular due to their ease of use. Making film collections for entertainment purposes is a popular trend. As the previous user mentioned, sometimes all you want is a section of your movie, which can be the highlight or any other part you want to keep. Long videos are no longer a problem with such a video cutter for Mac. If that's what you're looking for, you might want to look into some of the software that's available here.
HOW TO CUT VIDEO ON MAC WITHOUT USING FFMPEG?
What are FFmpeg and its cons for cut videos?
Without transcoding the media, FFmpeg can cut, trim, and extract videos. This is an excellent method for preserving original quality and avoiding generation loss.
Because of how keyframes work, it is impossible to cut at an exact point in time using FFmpeg without transcoding the video. As a result, you're left with a cut at the nearest keyframe.
BEST FREE FFMPEG ALTERNATIVE TO CUT VIDEO ON MAC
FILMORA VIDEO EDITOR
Supported OS: Windows and Mac
Filmora Video Editor is another well-known video editor that is widely used for video editing. It was released two decades ago to provide low-cost video editing software. Aside from video cutting and joining, it has some great features such as adding filters, titles, texts, and so on. You can also record your voice or live music, mix audio and video tracks, and do other things. It is simple to use and is available for both Mac and Windows users.
Filmora includes an instant cutter tool that can be used throughout clip import and is designed for use with large amounts of high-resolution content. As the names indicate, it is very simple and serves only one purpose. You can drag multiple clips onto its window, but only if the Merge sub-mode is enabled. Trim mode is only for trimming the ends of a single clip, and its interface only displays one clip in the left-size source tray. You can Add Segments, which creates a new clip based on your trimmed original, but you can't split a clip explicitly.
- All editing tools and features are well-displayed in the main windows, which can be found and used easily;
- Very easy to cut or trim video files just with a few clicks;
- Lots of filters, overlays, motion graphics, titles, and more special effects can be added to the video.
- More features like Picture in Picture and Green Screen and Split Screen can be used to make videos more unique.
- Intuitive Interface
- Easy To Use
- Great Features
- Affordable Lifetime License
- Great Final Video Results
- Faster Renders And Previews
- Supports Screen Capturing
- Support Wide Range Of File Formats
- User Support Is Good
- Lacks Advanced Feature
- Free Version Has Watermark
- Not Available For Linux And Phones
- Pricing Is Expensive
- Software Lagging
Steps On How To Cut Video On Mac Using Filmora Video Editor
Step 1: Import Video Files
You will begin by importing the video files into the project window of your program through dragging and dropping.
Step 2: Add Video To The Timeline
Drag and dropping are the easiest way to add the video to the timeline.
Step 3: Cut Video
If you want to trim the video, just move the cursor at the beginning or end of the video. When the cursor becomes a cross, move it forward or backward. Trimming only allows you to cut the beginning or end of a video.
If you need to cut a section of a video, you should follow do this: move the cursor at the beginning of the video section you want to cut, then click the scissors icon > Next, move the cursor to the end of the video section you want to cut and click scissors icon > Right-click on the video section you want to cut and click "Delete".
Step 4: Export the Video
To export your video, click the “export” button and choose the local tab. After selecting the output device and format, just click "Create" to save it.
Supported OS: Linux, Windows, and Mac
HandBrake is a multithreaded video transcoder that is unfastened and open source. It can compress and convert nearly any virtual media layout to another. HandBrake is able to rip encrypted DVDs the usage of libdvdcss (libdvdcss is covered with the VLC media participant on macOS and AnyDVD/DVD forty three on Windows).
This software program additionally enables batch processing, which converts a couple of video files at the same time. Additionally, a plethora of presets are available to guide you to the preferred output without having to tinker with a plethora of options.
Handbrake is a powerful and excellent video converter for Windows, Mac, and Linux that should not be overlooked. It provides all of the necessary features in a simple tool that gives the user complete control over the output. Before we get into the specifics, here's a rundown of Handbrake's advantages and disadvantages.
- Support of chapter selections
- Support of subtitles
- Integrated bitrate calculator
- Picture deinterlacing, cropping, and scaling
- Live Video Preview
- HandBrake has a very simple layout which makes the video converter very easy to use, even for those who are converting videos for the first time.
- The live preview helps.
- The fact that the software is free and has device presets for iOS and Android certainly makes HandBrake a welcome video converter.
- The queuing tray for batch conversions is particularly nice.
- People who convert a lot of videos will find it very helpful.
- On the flip side, the settings are not always easy to deal with.
- It takes a lot of time and then there are errors. The latest version fixes some old bugs but there are hiccups.
- The live preview is for up to four minutes of a video.
- It is futile for very long videos.
- The settings interface and that of the live preview could be better.
- The open-source software also doesn’t support all video formats.
- Given the diversity of devices and the multitude of formats in use today, HandBrake needs more compatibility.
Steps On How To Compress Video Using Handbrake
- After you download and install Handbrake, open the app. On the left side, under ‘Source Selection’, click ‘File’. Select the file from the folder and then click ‘open’.
Choose where you want the compressed video to be saved by clicking ‘Browse’.
- Enter a name for the video, and click ‘Save’.
- Under ‘Output Settings’, choose MP4 for ‘Container’.
- Click the ‘Video’ tab, under it, is the ‘Video Codec’, choose H.264 (x264).
- Select a Preset from the ‘Preset Drawer’. We recommend you choose Fast1030p 30 for high quality.
- Choose the ‘framerate’, depending on your source video i.e. NTSC (29.97fps), then make it 30fps by choosing 30. Also, tick the ‘Constant Framerate’ to ensure better compatibility.
- Enter an ‘Average Bitrate (kbps)’ for the video between 5,000-10,000 (take note: higher bitrate has higher quality video but will take longer to upload and download).
Click the ‘Picture’ tab if you want to change the video frame size or resolution.
Change ‘Anamorphic’ to ‘None’, and ‘Modulus’ to ‘16’. And tick ‘Keep Aspect Ratio’. Use the arrow down on Width to change from 1920 (full HD) down to 1280.
- Select the ‘Audio’ tab and choose 48 for the Samplerate. Choose Stereo for Mixdown. Choose 320 for your audio Bitrate.
- Hit the ‘Start Encode’ button and wait until the video has finished compressing. Handbrake will let you know when it has finished.
Supported OS: Mac, Linux, and Windows
Shutter Encoder offers a complimentary codec and conversion tool for everyone that was created in collaboration with video editors.
Convert your videos, images, and audio files to OP-Atom format, which is compatible with Avid Media Composer and Pro Tools. Encode your files, replace audio, burn to DVD, analyze audio volume, download web videos, and create your own timelapse.
Analyze audio loudness, replace audio, author DVDs and Blu-rays, create image sequences, download web videos, and more. Everything is done as simply and efficiently as possible
Shutter Encoder makes use of Java as well as other tools such as 7za, VLC, FFmpeg, ExifTool, MKVMerge (part of MKVToolNix), MediaInfo, DVDAuthor, youtube-dl, and others.
Shutter Encoder offers advanced users the option to tailor the conversion individually. You can, for example, manually change the bitrate of audio and video, but you can also set a file size limit and perform the conversion based on that. Further work techniques, such as the ability to enable hardware of the computer itself and complete the conversion according to a predefined profile, are available in a separate box.
- Without conversion: Cut without re-encoding, Replace audio, Rewrap, Conform, Merge, Subtitling (create subtitles for a video), Video inserts
- Sound conversion: WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP3, AAC, AC3, OPUS, OGG
- Editing codecs: DNxHD, DNxHR, Apple ProRes, QT Animation, Uncompressed YUV
- Output codecs: H.264, DV PAL, XDCAM HD422, AVC-Intra 100, XAVC, HAP, H.265, VP9, AV1, OGV, MJPEG, Xvid, WMV, MPEG
- Archiving codec: FFV1
- Image creation: JPEG, PNG, TIF, TGA, DPX, BPM, ICO, WEBP
- Burn & Rip: DVD, Blu-ray, DVD RIP
- Analysis: Loudness & True Peak, Audio normalization, Cut detection, Black detection
- Download web videos using youtube-dl
- Conversion according to profiles
- Extensive advanced options
- Built-in editing capabilities
- Limited preview capability
Steps On How To Use Shutter Encoder
- To start, drag the video from your file manager and drop it onto the Shutter Encoder window, or use the ‘Browse’ button available in the upper left-hand side corner of the window to add a video.
- Next, from the ‘Choose function’ drop-down menu, scroll to H.264 (it's the first under Output codecs). You will now see some new options in a new panel that appears on the right-hand side of the Shutter Encoder window. From there, if you want to crop the video, click the Crop checkbox:
- A new window will pop up where you can use your mouse to crop the video to the desired size. If you want to change it to a predefined, fixed-size ratio value, uncheck the ‘Manual mode’ box, and you'll be able to choose a ratio from the ‘Pre-settings’ drop-down.
- Next, if you want to change the H.264 profile, expand the ‘Advanced features’ item in the Shutter Encoder sidebar, check the box for the Force profile option, then change the profile to what you want to use:
- When you're done with the video adjustments you want to make, click the ‘Start function’ button, and Shutter Encoder will begin encoding your new video.
Supported OS: Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows
Avidemux offers three fundamental operations: cutting, encoding, and filtering. Cutting allows users to copy, paste, save, or delete a specific part of a video and is incredibly beneficial when users are only interested in a small portion of a video or want to remove commercials from a TV show that they have recorded.
Encoding, on the other contrary, is the way of transforming a video to various formats so that it can be played on different players. Users of Avidemux can use this feature on videos they want to use for business or archive for personal use. They could also use this to convert a video that they intend to post online.
Users can also use Avidemux to filter their videos, which include incorporating subtitles and color profiles, deinterlacing, resizing and sharpening the image of a video, and increasing or decreasing the overall volume of the audio.
Meanwhile, Avidemux has task automation features that make video processing and editing quick and painless. A feature called Joblist allows users to organize their projects in a queue so that they can access their files from a single location. They can use this queue to handle videos in bulk as well.
- Multiple Formats
- Video Filters
- Advanced Interlacing
- Full Editing Control
- Simple Interface
- Open Source
- Covers standard formats.
- All essential features are present.
- Surprisingly advanced filtering, processing, editing, and filtering controls.
- The interface is easy to learn.
- The interface is very legacy and needs remodeling
- No longer updated
- No support
Steps On How To Cut Videos On Avidemux:
- Open up Avidemux, and load the video file that you want to work with. If you get a prompt like this one: we recommend clicking Yes to use the safer mode.
- Find the portion of the video that you’d like to isolate. Get as close as you can to the start of the clip you want to cut.
You want it to read I; if it isn’t framed type I, then use the single left and right arrow buttons to go forward or backward one frame until you find an appropriate I frame.
- Once you’ve found the right starting frame, click the button with the A over a red bar. This will set the start of the clip.
- Advance to where you want your clip to end. Click on the button with a B when you’ve found the appropriate frame. This frame can be of any type.
- You can now save the clip, either by going to File –> Save –> Save Video, or by pressing Ctrl+S. Give the file a name, and Avidemux will prepare your clip.
BEST PAID FFMPEG ALTERNATIVE TO CUT VIDEO ON MAC
JOYOSHARE MEDIA CUTTER
Supported OS: Mac and Windows
The best video cutting tool is Joyoshare Media Cutter for Windows (or Mac). As a professional video trimmer, it allows you to cut your media files at a 60X faster rate, allowing you to clip a 60-minute video or audio file in just one minute. The interface design is also simple and clean, allowing you to do it quickly.
Another noteworthy feature is the ability to easily cut and merge both video and audio without sacrificing quality. The cropper supports a variety of video and audio formats, including AVI, MP4, MPEG, VOB, WMV, ASF, RM, RMVB, 3GP, AAC, MP3, WMA, M4R, and others, allowing you to save the file in any format and on any device, including Apple.
More notably, this is a capable all-in-one video cutter. In addition to cutting videos and audio, it can convert all popular video formats, extract audio from video files, and merge video and audio files from the same source into a new one.
Convert to Any File Format
Merge Video and Audio Files into Multiple Formats
Improved Accuracy & Efficiency in Cutting Videos
60X Fast Conversion
- Offers an easy way to cut, merge, and convert video files
- Blazing fast video-cutting and file-conversion speed
- Supports multiple audio and video file formats
- Can only merge videos from the same source. That means you can’t use the program to merge separate videos from your gallery.
- The program doesn’t offer an easy way to remove an unwanted part of a video if it’s in the middle of the video. The only way to do that is by cutting the section before and after the video, then merging them into one.
Step 1: Adding Video
To add a video, click the “Open” button. Locate the video you want to trim from your collection and open it. Alternatively, you can use the drag-and-drop feature.
Step 2: Select the Segment to Be Trimmed
At the bottom of the Joyoshare video window, you’ll be able to see a time slider through which you can skip to your desired timeframe. Move the slider handles attached to the yellow timeline bar to set the starting and ending points of your video.
Once you’ve set your desired starting point, click on the “[” button to highlight the starting segment, then move the right-hand slider to select the ending point, and click the ] button to set the end segment.
Step 3: Choose Your Desired Output Format and Destination Folder
Click the “Format” button, and a new window will pop up where you’ll be able to choose your preferred output format.
Step 4: Trim the Video
Click the “Start” button to begin trimming the segment. Wait for a minute for the program to finalize trimming the segment, then click the save button. That’s it! You’ve successfully trimmed your first video.
If you wish to cut and merge several segments, click the “+” icon at the bottom of the segments tab, then follow the above procedure to create several segments.
MOVAVI VIDEO EDITOR
Supported OS: Mac and Windows
Movavi Video Editor for Mac and Windows is a simple-to-use yet effective video editor and cutter. Aside from cutting and joining short videos, it can apply various video effects, add music and titles, and so on to make your movie more visually appealing. The video cutter tool has an easy-to-use interface and outstanding instructional videos, so you can get started quickly.
Movavi comes with a bunch of video editing controls into a straightforward, user-friendly interface. PiP, chroma-key, titling, basic keyframing, and even motion tracking are included. It isn't as feature-rich or as fast as most of the competition, but it allows you to easily create visually appealing work.
The tool is not free, but it does offer a limited-time free trial to users. However, it is a little irritating when the ad appears after you install and launch the trial version.
- Media Library
- Upload video or audio file
- Video and image management
- Title Editor
- Trim & Slice
- Video Effect
- Slow Motion & Time Effect
- Social Sharing
- Brand Overlay
- Text Overlay
- Audio Tools
- Speed Adjustment
- Split / Merge
- Video Stabilization
- Easy-to-understand user interface
- Transitions with sound
- Motion tracking and picture-in-picture tools
- Chroma keying
- Quick movie-creation tool
- Lacks advanced trim modes and clip pre-trimming
- Rendering on the slow side
- Not compatible with Apple Silicon M1
- Add Video Files
Launch Movavi’s MP4 trimmer, click the Add Media Files button, and upload the MP4 files you want to work with. The videos you’ve added will appear on the Timeline in the lower part of the program window.
- Cut And Trim Your Videos
So how to cut MP4 video with Movavi Video Editor Plus? If you want to snip a video into two or more parts, click the file on the Timeline and move the red marker to the place where you want to make the first cut. Then click the Split button with the scissors icon or hit Ctrl+B. Repeat the process as many times as you need.
If you want to trim your video clip, select the file on the Timeline and then just pull the edge of the clip to shorten it as shown in the picture.
- Save The Result
All that’s left to do is save your edited video. Click the Export button, choose the appropriate video format, and hit Start.
XILISOFT VIDEO CUTTER
Supported OS: Mac and Windows
Xilisoft Video Cutter is an effective programming cutter that lets you choose and cut your preferred segments in a single file as well as cut out the segments you don't like. It is compatible with almost all popular video formats, including VCD, AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV, 3GP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.264/PSP AVC, MOV, ASF, and others. It enables you to precisely set the start and end points.
While the software cannot cut segments from multiple input files at the same time, it can cut your selected source video into the number of clips you require in a single step. Xilisoft Video Cutter goes beyond standard cutting or slicing by allowing you to convert your video input files to a variety of well-known codecs. It is possible to convert the entire source file or just a specific segment, but this requires removing those unnecessary parts that frequently cause problems (TV advertisements, trailers, etc.).
Easily Cut Video Clips
Multi-trim Video to Whole
Output Clips to Multiple Formats
Supports all of the most widely used video file formats
Converts your videos between formats
Simple cutting interface
Allows for multiple cuttings from a single source file
Does not support batch processing
Steps On How To Cut Your Favored Segments:
- Add Source Video File
Click the "Open" button on the main interface, and select a video file in the pop-up window.
- Set Clip Segments
Click "Play" and click the "Set Start Point" and "Set End Point" buttons successively during playing the video to set the start point and endpoint of the clip.
You can also set several segments. Click the "Show Advanced Mode" button and click the "New Clip" button in advanced mode to set the start and endpoints of the segments. Repeat the above steps to set several segments.
Tip: To delete a segment, please choose the segment in the segment list, and click the "Delete Clip" button on the toolbar; to adjust the segment order, please choose the segment and click the "Move Up" or "Move Down" button to adjust its order.
- Output Settings
Click the "Cut" button at the bottom of the window to open the "Output Settings" window.
- Start Cutting
Click the "OK" button to start video cutting. During cutting, you can check the cutting status by dragging the process bar or canceling the cutting. Tip: After cutting is done, click the "Open Output Folder" button to open the destination folder to check the clippings. Click the "Done" button to go back to the main window.
WHICH SHOULD I CHOOSE: FREE OR PAID VIDEO CUTTER ON MAC?
Whether you choose Free or Paid Video Cutter, it still depends on your edit and navigation if the project will succeed like what you’re anticipating. Beginners in the industry can go for Free Video Cutters to practice the craft without worrying about the monthly subscription.
However, if you’re a professional, I highly suggest that you choose Paid Video Cutter to lessen the hassle and create amazing output.
FAQS ABOUT CUTTING VIDEOS
- How can I cut a video without losing quality?
Trimming VLC through LosslessCut
LosslessCut is an open-source video cutter that runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac. Like Filmora, this software also allows you to cut videos without re-encoding, so there is no loss of quality.
- Who is the best video cutter?
Filmora is one of the best video cutter software that allows you to change the aesthetic of your video with one click. It comes with a wide range of video effects that enable you to make clips look good. Features: This tool provides fast editing processing and adjustable preview quality.
- Why does trimming videos reduce quality?
In most cases, trimming only causes a minor loss of video quality. And there is no clear causal relationship between trimming and losing video quality. The main factors that influence video quality are Resolution, Bitrate, and Frame size.
If you are longing to pick up the best video cutter for Mac, you are supposed to evaluate it from different aspects, like operating interface, cutting features, output quality, post-processing ability, etc. Frankly speaking, there is no fixed answer. Everything depends on your actual requirements. If you want to cut videos on Mac with the forthright method, iMovie can be your top priority. If you prefer top-leading editing features, Blender is competitive enough for you.
There you have it! Here is the alternative software to cut/shorten your video without using FFmpeg. All these editors cater to different needs, so be sure to try them out, understand your requirements, and use the right one for your project!