Top 10 Best Gimbals for 4K DSRL/Mirrorless Cameras of 2018
Professionals videographers always need to improve stability in their footage and that is why manufacturers have launched so many designs of handheld 3 axis type gimbals into market within last few years. The device has brought a new revolution to the world of videographers with highly smooth and well stabilized shots. Now, you need not to mess with that old bulky steadicam system because the advanced gimbal stabilizers can handle everything with ease.
If you are a videographer or planning to switch to this career then you may need some guidance for selection of best gimbal product. As market is loaded with so many designs, it becomes quite difficult to make final decision about which one will suit to particular needs. Those who are in this stage of confusion may find this article useful because it contains details about top 10 3-Axis Gimbal stabilizers that work perfectly with Mirrorless cameras and DSLRs.
About Gimbal Stabilizer:
Section 1: What is Gimbal Stabilizer?
Recently, gimbals have made an impressive entry to the world of videography and today they have become an essential accessory for professionals. A Gimbal is usually designed with 3 brushless motors and they help operators to move their camera easily on all axis. There is an inertial measurement unit that works with all motors separately to improve camera stabilization.
Section 2: 2 Axis or 3 Axis Gimbal?
You will generally find two types of gimbals in market: 2-axis and 3-axis. Selection for anyone of these totally depends upon your application. The 2 axis type gimbals have more control over pitch and yaw movements but the 3 axis gimbals extend control to roll movements too along with yaw and pitch adjustments.
Generally, the 3 axis gimbals are preferred for aerial applications in drones and RC helicopters. They also find applications in applications where camera is to be attached on a car suction mount, camera jib or any remote controlled vehicle. 3 axis gimbals have higher control on camera stabilization.
Top 10 Best Gimbals for 4K DSLR and Mirrorless Camera:
1. IKan DS1 Beholder 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer:
This gimbal stabilizer is designed to offer great service for Mirrorless and DSLR cameras that have weight up to 3.7 pounds. This 3 axis gimbal system can manage stability for all shots and the brushless motors handles roll and tilt movements easily on the go. It comes with a built in joystick so that users can have better control over tilt and pan modes and the quick release plate also improves performance.
- Easy to use.
- Highly durable design.
- Lightweight construction makes it suitable for field applications.
- Contains low maintenance type lithium battery.
- They can carry maximum weight only up to 3.7 lbs.
- Designed with single handed grip so are really uncomfortable to handle.
2. Zhiyun Crane Zhiyun Crane 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras:
This gimbal stabilizer is designed with attractive appearance and stylish mounting plate. It works perfectly in the wireless mode where you can handle all controls from dedicated gimbal app. Professionals prefer to use it due to its impressive control algorithms and the well managed 360 degree rotation service for all three axis.
- It is well known for its great stabilization results.
- It cannot perform well with firmware update.
3. DJI Ronin-M 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer:
It is one of the best offers from DJI with all great features. It has maximum 5 pound weight so can be easily carried to field. The added RC controller improves its performance where users can make easy adjustments for roll, tilt and pan movements. Its operation is quite enough so it will not add any background noise to your footage.
- This gimbal stabilizer can handle cameras up to maximum 8lbs weight range.
- Comes with an RC controller that offers improved control for tilt and pan.
- It is highly durable.
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- People find difficulties in its balancing
- Few users have reported trouble with its roll drift movements.
4. Beholder DS1 Handheld Stabilizer 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal:
- Comes with a quick release type base plate that makes camera removal much easier.
- It has a joystick on its handle so you can easily control gimbal movements.
- Light in weight that makes it perfect for field applications.
- Compact and impressive design.
- This gimbal has ability to offer easy customization with wide range of accessories.
- Users can switch between four different modes for enhancing details in shots.
- You will be able to enjoy glide and supper smooth motion effects.
- It is little difficult to switch between various modes when gimbal is in operation.
- Costly option as compared to several competitors in market.
- Battery life is disappointing.
- You need to spend extra to get a protective case.
5. FLYCAM HD-3000 Handheld Video Stabilizer:
This gimbal can handle all camera motions with ease while keeping control handles operation for hours due to cushioned foam based design. This stabilizer can be easily used with DSLRs, HDV and DV cameras and the micro balancing technology makes it more suitable for professional video recording needs.
- It offers incredible performance with micro adjustment feature.
- Design is rated as robust and sturdy.
- Comfortable handles.
- Can handle weight up to 3.5Kg
- You need to spend more time to learn its handling process.
6. Neewer 24”/60cm Handheld Carbon Fiber Alloy Stabilizer:
Its appealing design is finished with aluminium material and the quick release type plates make is suitable for professional needs. You can easily adjust this gimbal for high as well as low shooting angles; it will always ensure higher precision with comfortable usage.
- This Gimbal is well known for its sturdy design.
- Offers great quality of service.
- Most suitable for beginners due to its easy operation.
- Affordable price range.
- Offers great balancing ability.
- Users observe a steep learning curve with its operation.
- Side to side adjustments are really complicated.
7. Pilotfly H2 Gimbal:
Pilotfly H2 is designed with aluminium alloy that makes it more sturdy and durable. The detachable handle works perfectly for movable shots whereas the 4 way joystick allows easy operations. Users can enjoy full 360 degree rotation for Yaw and roll axis on this gimbal and it can easily handle a camera up to maximum 5 pound weight.
- It is configured with five different profiles: full lock, pitch lock, follow mode, follow roll and home move.
- Designed with auto inverted mode.
- The integrated battery offers continuous service for about 26 hours.
- Software based calibration is a daunting task.
8. Nebula 4200 5-axis Gyroscope Stabilizer Gimbal:
This 5 axis gimbal is designed with interchangeable handles so that users can connect single or double as per need. The Bluetooth based wireless control ability improves its performance and the wireless joystick is an added bonus. You will definitely love to appreciate its precise control ability and higher speed rating due to 32 bit dual sensor type controller.
- The most unique feature is its spring arm type mechanical system that offers vertical stabilization control.
- It is designed with double and single handgrip- they are interchangeable.
- Light in weight.
- You need to add more efforts for its calibration.
9. MOZA Lite 2 Premium 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer:
It is designed to offer durable service for years with its magnesium alloy construction and the 4.8 pounds weight makes it useful for field applications. The balancing system is improved with FOC algorithm and you can also have remote control on this gimbal with a dedicated application that is compatible with iOS and android devices.
- It can handle camera up to 8.8 pound weight
- You will get them with a remote thumb controller unit, it assists in better usability.
- There is a built in video transmitter, definitely a great addition to gimbal performance.
- You will find its battery life little disappointing.
10.CAME-TV Optimus 3-Axis Camera Gimbal:
There is one handle on the top and two on sides so you can use it comfortably. This gimbal offers great results for low angle shooting needs while delivering smoother control over roll, pan and tilt movements. This gimbal is preferably used with Sony A7, Canon 5D2 and Canon 7D cameras. Its quick release type knobs make roll and yaw adjustments much easier but you need to make some efforts for its pre-balancing.
- Offers multiple modes for operation.
- You will get its delivery in pre-assembled form so no need to mess with individual component.
- It can carry weight up to 6.6 lbs
- You need to spend some time for accurate balancing.
- Its battery life still needs some improvement.
You must have gathered enough details about top rated gimbal stabilizers in market so it can be now easier to invest on right accessory for your 4K DSLR camera. The major consideration for new purchase actually goes to the budget and need of particular user. Note that, expensive products always provide improved performance whereas cheap ranges are suitable for learners specifically. So, you can make decision accordingly.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>