Ever since video cameras were invented, there have been various technological advancements in filming. And today people generally use smartphones or portable cameras to record videos. But one of the interesting ways in which smart devices can capture moments is using the timelapse feature. Timelapse files are a way of videography in which the camera or smart device captures frames in intervals of a few seconds or minutes.
In this way, you get a stop motion-like video at the end. This format of the video is both interesting and can be used to capture long hours of activities. But often we are needed to convert time-lapse to normal video to export or share them over a platform. For these requirements, there are different applications available across multiple operating systems.
Part 1. Convert Time-lapse Video to Normal on Computer
Computer users aiming to conserve the value of their time-lapses as videos can resort to Filmora. The Filmora program is a fee-based software that furnishes very productive video editing capacities. As an alternative, one can choose its trial edition for free. Here is how to turn your time lapses into videos by means of Filmora:
First, go to the official website of Filmora and then click on "Try Filmora for free". This will start the download of the Filmora trial version. For converting time-lapses into normal videos, the premium version is not necessary. After the application is downloaded and installed on your PC, open it by clicking its icon.
When the Filmora interface opens, you will need to go to "project" and then select "New project". This will create a new project for you. Alternatively, you can click on the "+" icon available on the screen to do the same. After a new project is opened, you need to click on "Import" to add the timelapse file you want to convert.
Then from the tools menu, select the "Tools" option on the top of your screen. Here you will be able to access different features of Filmora. Click on the option that says "Speed" to go to speed settings. Change the speed from 1X to a lower speed by toggling across the drag bar.
After setting a preferred speed for your timelapse, you will notice that the timelapse will seem like a normal video. When you are satisfied with the preview video, go to "Export" and click on it. This will save your converted video to your device in the highest resolution. Then you will be able to share it instantly on any platform.
Part 2. Change Timelapse Video to Normal on iPhone
If you are an iPhone user then you must have discovered the timelapse feature which is present in the camera app. Using the camera app, Apple users have the choice to make stunning time lapses with customized duration and settings.
And if you have a timelapse that you want to convert to a normal video format, then you can follow these steps on how to convert time-lapse to normal video:
- There are multiple ways and applications to convert timelapse videos to normal ones on iPhone. But the safest and most effective way to do that is by using iMovie. This application is mostly preinstalled on all iPhones and is free to use. If somehow you are missing this app, then visit the Apple store and install it on your device.
- When iMovie is successfully installed on your iPhone, open the application and allow all the permissions that it asks for. Then click on the "+" icon in the middle of your screen to create a new project. If you want you can name your project when its created.
- After opening your new project, you can tap on the "Import" option to add media files to the interface. Here it will open your files from which you will need to select the timelapse video that you want to edit. Click on it and it will be automatically added to iMovie.
- You can also add multiple timelapse videos if you want to convert them all and merge them into one file. Then on the iMovie interface, there will be a timeline available at the bottom of your screen. You can adjust it to trim, replace or rearrange the clips.
- Then on the bottom left corner of your screen, you will see a "speed" icon which is generally the second tool on the interface. Click on it and it will open the playback speed controls for you. Adjusting and dragging on the speed control, you will be able to change the playback speed of the timelapse.
- You will need to slow down the playback speed by toggling the speed controls. Set it to a speed lower than 1X which can make it look like a normal video. When you are done, click on the tick mark to save the changes.
- Now preview the video and make sure you are satisfied with the conversion. Then go to settings, and customize the video output settings as well as quality. When you are done with these changes, click on the "Export" option to save the video to your device or share it on any platform.
Part 3. Time-lapse to Normal Video Online
There are situations where users don't want to go installing extra applications when it comes to executing a task. And if you happen to be such a user who wants to convert your timelapse into a beautiful video, then you can do it online for free. Veed.io is an online platform that allows users to upload and convert time-lapse to normal video online easily.
First, open your browser and enter "veed.io" i.e. “time-lapse to normal video converter online” in your search box. Then the first result that will be shown will be from its official website. Click on that and you will be directed to the veed.io online interface.
The interface will have different options like "Sign Up, "Try Sample" etc. From the available options, click on "Upload Your Video". This will allow you to edit your videos without even creating an account.
Then the interface will direct you to the video creation page. Here you will see a bunch of predefined templates to make videos. Click on the "Create Template" option and the interface will have a "Upload Your Media" box on the screen. Here you can click on it and select your timelapse file or drag and drop it from any source.
After the video is added to the veed.io page, it will take some time to upload it to the project menu. You can add multiple files by clicking on the "Add" option available on the screen. After a short while, you will see the video preview on the screen along with a timeline of the video.
Click on the timeline feature and there will be different tools from veed.io available at the bottom of the interface. Select the speedometer type icon on the screen and this will give you access to control the playback speed of timelapse.
You can drag the cursor from 1X to any desired speed here. Just click on the drag button and lower the speed below 1X to a desirable speed of your choice. In the preview window, check how the video is being rendered.
When you are satisfied with the changes and the video speed seems normal to you, go to the top right corner of the screen and click on the "Export" option. This will ask you to set your preferences for different video settings. Change them according to your requirement and then the video will be downloaded to your device.
Time lapses are an amazing way to capture moments from any device. But there are situations where we need to convert them into video format for our requirements. Luckily there are some built-in features in different smartphone devices as well as applications available on others that can help you to do so. We have discussed some of these methods following which you will easily be able to convert your timelapse into videos on any device.