How to Make Slow/Fast Motion Videos (Speed Up/Slow Down Effect)
Timelapse/Slow Motion effects, also known as Speed Up/Slow Down effects in video production, which make the video clips play faster or slower than original speed. Usually, the slow-mo effect can give us a "close-up in time", and introducing a feeling of surreality, while the fast motion effect is used to make videos dramatic or funny. In this article, we are going to show you how to make these effects in post production.
Wondershare Filmora is such a video editor that we'd like to introduce to you, with this simple video editor, you can quickly make fast motion and slow motion videos. Read on to see how to speed up or slow down your creativeness. Below is the free trial verion of Wondershare Filmora (Win & Mac).
How to Make Slow/Fast Motion Videos
1. Add video files to the program
Click "Import" on the primary window and select the video files from your computer to add them into this program. Alternatively, you can simply drag and drop files to the User's Album. Wondershare Filmora supports almost all regular video formats, such as MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, M4V, MPG, VOB, ASF, 3GP, 3G2, F4V, MPEG, TS, TRP, M2TS, MTS, TP, DAT, MKV, DV, MOD, NSV, TOD, EVO, etc.
2. One click to speed up or slow down
Next, drag videos from the User's Album to the video track on the Timeline, and then double-click the added video to open video editing panel. Locate the Speed option, and the speed numbers will indicate how fast or slow the motion effects will be. Adjust to the speed you want.
- 0.5: half of the original speed (Slow Down, Half)
- 1: The original speed
- 2: Double the original speed (Speed Up, Double)
- Other speed available to choose: 0.1 times, 0.2 times, 0.25 times, 0.33 times, 0.5 times, 2 times, 3 times, 4 times,5 times, 10 times etc.
3. Export fast/slow motion video
When you have finished adjusting the video speed, click "Create". You can save video in any popular formats by clicking "Format". If you want to play your new video creation on your iPod, iPhone, iPad, click "Device" and select the icon for your devices. You can also share your videos on YouTube directly or burn video to DVD disc.
Tips: Besides Fast motion and slow motion video effects, you could also do some basic as well as advanced editing with Filmora, such as rotating, reversing, keying, etc., what's more, there are lots of preset video effects that you can use to give your video a hollywood look.
In fact, except for Filmora, many other video editing software can help you do this effect, professional tools like Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro, and basic tools like Windows Movie Maker, iMovie. Just choose one and get started. Let us know your opinions in the comments section below.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>
- • Complete Film Editing Guide
- 1.1 How to cut a film
- 1.2 How to rotate a film
- 1.3 How to play a film backwards
- 1.4 How to make slow/fast motion
- 1.5 How to add subtitle to film
- 1.6 How to add scrolling credits film
- 1.7 How to remove subtitle from video
- 1.8 How to remove watermark from video
- 1.9 How to remove logo from video
- 1.10 How to resize a film
- 1.11 YouTube channels to learn filmmaking tips