How to Pin A Message on Discord?
Aug 30, 2022• Proven solutions
Like TeamSpeak or Skype, Discord is a chat app aimed at easy mass communication. Although it was made for gamers, it is readily used for communicating in offices, during projects, or for professional collaboration.
Even though it's straightforward to use, there are several Discord features that you may be unfamiliar with.
One such feature is called pinning messages. It is available to moderators, administrators, server owners, and other users who have permission to "Manage Messages" in various server channels.
This feature helps you find and share vital messages quickly, especially when new users join a specific channel.
It acts like a sticky note for Discord, making sure valuable information such as server rules do not get overshadowed by new messages even months after the pinned messages are first posted.
Today, we will go over how to pin a message on Discord for your desktop app on PC and Mac, as well as on your iPhone and Android mobile devices.
Part 1: How to Pin A Message on Discord Desktop?
If you want to learn how to pin messages on Discord desktop, follow these steps:
- Hover over any message which you wish to pin.
- On the right-hand side of it, there will be a button that would read as More; click it and you will see a screen like below
- Now, click on the "Pin Message" option
- After which, you will be presented with a prompt asking you to confirm that you want to pin this particular message. Click on "Oh yeah, pin it."
That's it! You have now learned how to pin messages on Discord for the desktop application.
But make sure you don't pin everything that might seem important at a glance — only pin messages that may have utility in the future.
Also, don't pin messages that are just important for you. In larger channels, prioritize pinning messages that will benefit most participants.
Part 2: How to Pin Messages on Discord Mobile App?
Pinning messages in the mobile app is very similar to how it is done on the desktop application. Do it by:
- Just hold down your finger on the message you wish to pin
- A couple of seconds later, you will be presented with a list of options
- From here, click on "Pin Message"
- A pop-up will appear confirming if you want to pin the message. If you are sure you want to pin a particular message, tap the "Yes" button and then your message is pinned
Part 3: How to View Pinned Messages on Discord
Accessing pinned messages is just as easy as pinning them. To access a pinned message on the app's desktop version:
- Click on the pin icon appearing on the top right-hand side of your screen
- Doing this will present you with a drop-down list of pinned messages. Now, you can tap on the "Jump" button next to the "x" (cross) icon to go directly to the pinned message
- This will allow you to understand the context behind the pinned message. You can also access and share links in the pinned messages from here
Part 4: How to View Pinned Messages on Discord Mobile
View your pins on the mobile version of Discord by:
- Swiping from right to left, which will open up a side menu
- Then click on "Pins," which is the second option from the left, as shown in the picture below
- Now you will be in the pinned messages window
- You can jump to a specific pinned message by clicking on it, allowing you to access any content or links in the message
Part 5: Limit on Pinned Messages
You can only pin 50 messages in the pin box in Discord, meaning if you want to pin new messages, you will have to delete older ones to make space.
This may feel like a disadvantage. However, it makes perfect sense. Pinning messages is only for important information that must be used in the future.
Removing this limit and giving people free rein on the number of messages they can pin will eventually lead to too many pinned messages, defeating the feature's purpose.
Part 6: How to Delete Pinned Messages on Discord?
If something pinned in the past has become redundant over time, you can remove it from the pinned messages.
This will make sure your pinned messages do not stockpile over time, and there is space to add new messages important to the server.
To remove pinned messages on desktops:
- Go to the pin icon used to access pins
- Next, hover over the message you wish to unpin and click on the "x" (cross) button next to the jump button
- After this, click on the "yeah, remove it please kthx" button
- The message will now stop appearing in the list of pinned messages
To do the same for mobile devices:
- Swipe right to left to access the side menu
- Click on "Pins" to view all the messages pinned by you or other people on the server with permissions to pin
- Then hold down on the message, which will give you an option to unpin it
- Click on "Unpin" to remove the message from the list of pinned messages
Things to keep in mind:
- You can skip the pop-up shown above when trying to remove a pinned message. All you must do is hold shift when clicking on the "x" (cross) button allowing you to go on that spree of unpins
- Another thing to remember is that all these tips on how pin messages apply to both Direct Messages (DM) and Server group chats
All in All
Learning how to pin a message on Discord could be a little tricky at first, mostly if you haven't done so in the past and someone spontaneously asks you to do so.
However, the feature is pretty intuitive and straightforward once you get the hang of it.
The usefulness of pinning makes it very important for both old and new users as you can relay important information without having to go through tons of old messages.