- Ultimate Drone Guide
- What Is a Drone
- 1. What is a drone
- 2. Drone Applications
- 3. Types of drones
- Buying Guide+
- 1. Complete buying guide
- 2. Drones for sale
- 3. For beginners
- 4. 5 best Toy Drones
- 5. Best 5 Professional drones
- 6. Top 5 best FPV racing drones
- 7. Top 10 longest flight time dones
- 8. Top 10 Heavy Lift Drones 2017
- 9. Top 10 Hexacopter Dones
- 10. Best 10 Mini Drones
- 11. Top 10 camera drones
- 12. Best 10 FPV Goggles
- 13. Best Drones for GoPro
- 14. Best Drones under $100
- 15. Best Drones under $500
- 16. Best 5 VR Headsets for drones
- 17. Top 10 GPS drones that follow you
- Reviews for DJI+
- 1. DJI Phantom 4
- 2. DJI Phantom 3 Standard
- 3. DJI Phantom 3 Pro
- 4. DJI Phantom 2
- 5. DJI Mavic Pro
- 6. DJI Inspire 2
- 7. DJI inspire 1
- Reviews for other brands+
- 1. Micro Drone 3.0
- 2. Parrot Bebop 2
- 3. Parrot ar drone 2.0 elite edition
- 4. Parrot Mambo
- 5. 3DR SOLO
- 6. Hubsan X4 H107C
- 7. Hubsan H501S X4
- 8. YUNEEC Q500 4K
- 9. YUNEEC Typhoon H
- 10. UDI U818A
- 11. Cheerson CX 20
- 12. Walkera f210
- 13. Blade Chroma
- 14. GoPro Karma
- 15. Air hogs Millennium Falcon
- 16. Syma X5C
- 17. Syma X8C
- 18. Syma X8W
- 19. Eachine Racer 250
- 1. 10 must-have accessories
- 2. Phantom 4 Accessories
- 3. Best batteries
- 4. How to expand battery life
- 5. Best motors
- 6. Frames buying guide
- 7. FPV Drone Propellers
- 8. How to choose camera gimbal
- 9. Best camera gimbals for drone
- 10. Building a drone VS buying one
- Editing Tips+
Drone Motors: Choose the Best Motors for Your Quadcopter
You might be thinking about the aerial photography capabilities of your drone unit. What makes it capable enough to do so? It is motor unit of your quadcopter that ensures aerial movements so that users can develop Hollywood Style movies with ease. The article below will help you to learn about multirotor motor basics so that you can choose the best one for your quadcopter. There are so many motor designs available in market, prefer to pick the one that can meet all your requirements and fits to your budget too.
- Part 1: Things to consider when choosing drone motors
- Part 2: Types of motors
- Part 2: Best Recommendations
Things to consider when choosing drone motors
1. Weight of your drone:
The very first criterion for selection of right motor for your drone is to have clear idea about overall weight of drone itself. You can have approximate weight idea for your drone by simply calculating weight of its individual parts or components. But note that the list must include all parts like payload (if you are connecting gimbals and camera), battery unit, motors, wires, PDB, flight controller and frame of the device. Once you know the overall size of frame then it can help you to determine right propeller size. Whereas the idea about size and weight of propeller will help users to know about the overall thrust of motor that they will need for perfect lifting of drone during flights. Your decision will help to maintain speed of drone in air and this weight will also contribute in flight time adjustments.
2. Thrust to weight ratio:
Do you know the golden rule for selection of drone motor? It must allow your drone to hover in the midair with half throttle. It clearly means that your selected motor must be capable enough to produce about 50 percent higher thrust as compared to multi rotor. This is a very essential parameter as it means your motor is going to have additional thrust to keep your drone safe during windy weather or at the time of flight maneuvers.
Let us consider a situation: suppose your drone have overall weight of 650 grams then we need to pick a motor that can generate at least twice amount of thrust. Means thrust must range somewhere around 1360 Grams where each motor must be capable enough to produce 340 grams thrust. And in case if they are able to produce higher thrust then this rated value, your drone will naturally become able to move with much faster speed.
The formula used for calculation of motor efficiency is “thrust/power used in W”; its overall unit becomes g/W. now, if you have higher value of g/W rating that means your motor is more efficient and it will assist drone in longer flights. Professionals recommend choosing a motor that has efficiency value near about 7 or above this. There are chances that a motor could be efficient with its lower throttle range; in that case they will lose efficiency with increasing current range at higher limits. When you connect motors having low efficiency to your drone unit then you have to make lots of compromise for flight time as well as energy. It will also cause voltage sags for your batteries. Never forget to check thrust/current ratio while buying new motor for your drone.
The torque range helps to define the ability of motor to shift between RPM values. This change ultimately decides responsiveness of drone in air. If your motor has high torque value then it will naturally lead to snappy response as RPM will accept faster changes. It will also lead to lesser propeller wash. If you have high torque value for your motor then it means it is capable enough to run much heavier props but will also suck more current. In case if you try to fir a heavier propeller on low torque type motor, it will not be able to achieve the desired RPM value or will not be able to generate enough torque for spinning. Ultimately, it will end up making lower thrust while drawing lower current from system. However, there is one disadvantage of connection high torque type motors; that is, it generates more oscillations and they cannot be tuned so easily. Note that, high torque type motors are able to generate faster response rate so users can move between different RPM rating easily and efficiently. It may also amplify error and can cause oscillations even at yaw axis.
5. Pole Count:
Next important consideration is motor pole count. You will generally find two options for this: first one if quadcopter motors that have higher pole count. These types of motors are able to produce greater torque value but at the same time it will demand more voltage for operation. Note that these motors are able to produce lower RPM. Professionals suggest choosing larger blades for such motors.
If we talk about the second category, here you will find motors having lower pole count but they deliver higher RPM. Now, these motors will be accompanied by smaller blades and will serve with smaller lift from ground. If you want to get rid of additional gear box then it is essential to start with higher pole count.
Types of motors:
If you are working on a project where motor is expected to be used for very less time, it is recommended to connect brushed DC motor as it will provide sufficient output with cost effectiveness. But in case if you need motors continuously or when your device is going to work on higher power rating then brushless motor will be best idea for long hour flights.
Price: $8.99 onlyKey Features:
- It is designed with brass metal gear that offers super stable performance with ultra high durability.
- Their wire colour codes are same as that of original models so replacement task becomes much easier.
- Overall performance is rated to be as high as stock motors.
- This motor design is compatible with all Syma X models.
- Lower Price range.
- Great customer service
- Ultra durable and super stable design.
- Motors create annoying sound.
Price: $58Key Features:
- Best choice for FPV QAV quadcopters having 250, 210, 180 size range; and for small drones.
- Impressive air suction system.
- U clip added to protect loosening issue of bearing.
- High precision type CNC machine exquisite design.
- Rapid cooling system.
- Longer battery life with higher efficiency.
- Light weight design.
- Offers longer flight time.
- Lesser vibrations with low CG design.
Price: $28.99bKey Features:
- This motor possesses maximum power of 15 watts and can complete about 28000 rotations/minute in air.
- Range of these motors begins at 10,350 RPM and it goes up to 41,400 RPM.
- Speed of motor is controlled via a 8 bit low power type microcontroller accompanied with 10 bit ADC.
- It is much easier to install.
- Consumes less power, increased efficiency.
- Secured with long and short screw connections.
- Offers guaranteed high performance.
- Expensive option.
Price: $15.99Key Features:
- This brushless motor ensures service with KV value of 1000.
- It comes with 30A advanced speed controller unit.
- Can offer maximum speed of 2100000 RPM with 2 poles type BLM and about 70,000 RPM with 6 pole type
- Price range is nominal.
- It stays cool even during tough flights.
- It adds more power to your RC drone unit.
- Motor gets heated up within very less time.
- It causes lots of vibrations during motor acceleration.
Price: $68.25Key Features:
- Impressive multi rotor motor design.
- Offers classic response performance.
- Multi rotor options available like Octo, Hexa, Quad and Tri.
- Maximum thrust goes up to 860G.
- Easy to set up.
- Solid design.
- Balanced and smooth motors.
- Too costly.
- Maximum weight is 55 grams.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>