Filming a video is fun and editing is more interesting and entertaining. Today, everyone is making videos and there are tons of videos on the internet. Editing videos is required to make the video stand out and retain the audience. Video trimming helps you cut out the unwanted part of the video and leave the desired portion of the viewers.
Cutting a video means your video starts quickly and you don’t lose your audience’s attention.
The first ten seconds of the video are very important when deciding whether to stay or move on to the next video.
How to cut a video in QuickTime
Quicktime is an authentic application developed by Apple in 1991. It allows the users to edit, record, play, and share videos and pictures. If some editing software confuses you, QuickTime is just for you.
You need to download the application and here are all the features you can enjoy. It is compatible with all versions of windows whereas, if you are a Mac user it is already installed in your system.
Cutting a video is one of the basic but useful functions of QuickTime. It requires a few simple steps and some features related to cutting, splitting, and trimming a video.
1. Cutting/splitting a video
Cutting a video means splitting some parts of the video to edit and rearrange the clips to make a new video. Mostly, it is used where you want to edit all clips of the video differently. It is also needed as it allows you to focus on your message and delete the portion not required and make the video large. You can remove the extra fat from the video to give clarity, direction, and hope. You can convey your message in a clear and concise way.
These steps should be followed to cut/split the video in minutes.
- In the QuickTime player, open the desired video.
- Select show clips from the view on the menu bar.
- Move the red marker from right to left to select the desired portion.
- Hit split clip from the edit
- A yellow rectangular bar appears over the edges of your video.
- You can cut the desired portion and make editing as you like.
- Repeat the sequence until you are done.
- Press the done
Cutting the video by splitting is used when you have a long video and you can easily edit them by splitting them into two parts.
2. Trimming a video
If you are cutting some parts at the beginning and the end of the video, it is called trimming a video. You can say it as removing unnecessary preparation scenes. Normally, professionals start their cameras before the film scene to ensure not to miss any part of the video. Here’s, how to trim video in the QuickTime player.
Let’s dive in…
- Launch QuickTime
- Select your video from the system.
- Select edit from the top menu.
- Select the trim or command T, or you can select the hold option from the drop-down list.
- A yellow trimming bar will appear over the edges of your video.
- Remove the unwanted area by moving from the right or left trim edges also called handles.
Everything inside the yellow bars will remain. You can preview your video anytime during the editing process.
- Hit the trim from the bottom right corner.
- Select save from the file on the top menu bar.
Trimming is critical because it is the time to convince the viewers to stick around and stay with your video.
For more advanced editing without losing the quality of the video, I recommend you to use Wonder Share Filmora 11. It’s an amazing app and very easy to use even for a layman.
An easier way to cut a video with Filmora
Wonder Share Filmora is one of the best video editing tools for beginners. It simplifies the editing process using smart and congenital features that can automate repetitive tasks. It has a lot of exciting features and has collaborated with others to make the work easier.
So here, I recommend Filmora Video Editor, an easy and very powerful, all-in-one video editor software. It enables you to cut, crop, and trim the videos in a few clicks without losing the quality of the video.
Point to be noted:
The cut is removing some unwanted parts of the video.
The Split is dividing the clips into two parts.
The trim is deleting the starting or endpoints of the video.
1. Cut video using Filmora video cutter
Cutting a video is necessary even if you shot a very good video because it contains some irrelevant and unwanted clips. Removing the unnecessary part of the video will make the video short, concise, and to the point. Moreover, it helps in grabbing the attention of your valuable viewers.
If your video has multiple scenes to cut, the scene detection function would be helpful.
- Install Filmora video cutter
- Select the New project.
- Select the video in the media library.
- Right-click and select scene detection to enter the scene detection window.
- Select Detect
This will automatically detach your unwanted videos based on the change in scene.
- Click add to timeline to add the separated video into the timeline.
You can also remove the unwanted videos by clicking the delete icon.
2. Manually cut/split videos
To cut the beginning and the end portion of the video, we can use the trim feature.
- Import the video and drag it into the timeline.
- Add Marker in the timeline to spot a particular clip.
Pointing the Marker will help to find the unwanted potion without wasting the important portion of the clip.
Here is all about trimming the video from beginning to end but if you want to cut the video into parts to remove the rest of the fat from the clips. You can follow these steps:
- Click the split icon above the timeline.
- Drag the play head to make a rectangle to cover the unwanted portion of the video.
- Press delete from the timeline besides the split tab.
Repeat the process and cut the video into many segments to get the desired video.
Video editing is a critical part of creating eye-catching movies. Along with this, cutting and trimming a video is the core of the whole process as it makes sure that your audience is hooked with your content or not. Once you have downloaded the Wonder Share Filmora app, the art of cutting the video and transforming into a new film is really amazing.