YouTube Thumbnail Size Template & Practical Tactics for You
An easy yet powerful editor
Numerous effects to choose from
Detailed tutorials provided by the official channel
A YouTube thumbnail is like a cover page of your video that creates the first impression. Though a default thumbnail is created for each video by YouTube, you can always customize it and make it more appealing and attractive.
More in detail about Youtube thumbnail size template, tips, and others can be learned from the following content.
Part 1 YouTube Thumbnail Specifications
To stand out from the crowd and create an impact over the viewers, a well-customized thumbnail works great. A customized thumbnail proves effective in ways more than one like encouraging attention, increasing engagement, giving a professional look, portraying your personality, and much more. The right size of the thumbnail is an important consideration and the following are the suggested YouTube video thumbnail dimensions.
● An ideal width and height of YouTube thumbnail size is 1280 X 720 pixels
● The size of the thumbnail should be kept under 2MB.
● Use the thumbnail in JPEG, PNG, BMP, or GIF format.
● The ideal thumbnail ratio for YouTube has to be kept at 16:9.
● The width of the thumbnail should not be less than 640 pixels.
Part 2 YouTube Thumbnail Templates
If you are struggling to find the right thumbnail for your video, templates are a great rescue. There are several sites and programs where you can find multiple templates that can be customized and edited to suit your requirements. We have shortlisted a few sites where you can check different types of interesting templates for the YouTube thumbnails.
● Canva: This online site has a huge collection of free as well as paid video thumbnails in different categories, and types. You can filter the collection of templates based on style and theme. The templates can be further customized as needed after which they can be downloaded to be used on YouTube.
● VistaCreate: Interesting template designs are available at this site to be used as a YouTube video thumbnail. You can even create your own design or customize the ones available. The site also has an option to choose the desired thumbnail design using the search bar.
● Postermywall: YouTube templates in an array of designs, themes, and genres are available at this site. There are also Youtube Thumbnail Size Template and from these you can choose the one that matches the personality of your video and customize it as per the requirements. The search bar to look for your choice of template is also available.
● Visme: Templates for all types of video thumbnails are available at this site to choose from. You simply need to choose the template as per your choice and you are all set to have an impressive thumbnail for your video. You can even look for your choice of design using the search bar.
● Snappa: There is a wide selection of templates in different categories at this site that can be used for creating a customized thumbnail for your YouTube videos. The templates are free and you need to create a free account on the site to use them.
Part 3 Top 5 Tips For Creating Effective Thumbnails
To make your thumbnails interesting and effective we have shortlisted a few useful tips as below.
● Keep it clutter-free: It's always good to keep your thumbnail simple and clean without any clutter. If you use too many elements in a thumbnail, they will look messy when watched on a mobile device.
● Using a still image from the video: Though you can set a customized thumbnail for your videos, an automatic image is also selected by YouTube. It might be a possibility that the image automatically selected is good enough and effective and thus creating a customized thumbnail is not required.
● Using editing software like Wondershare Filmora Video Editor for creating customized graphics: A good editing software can be used for creating an effective and impressive image. Wondershare Filmora is one such professional tool that can be considered. This Windows and Mac-based program can let you edit your images using multiple features. Simple and fast to use, the software also supports batch processing so that multiple files as thumbnails for multiple videos can be created at a time. Additional features supported by the software include motion tracking, adding text and tiles, adding overlays and filters, adding transitions and elements, color tuning, and more.
● Use eye-catchy titles: Using catchy titles in your thumbnails is an effective way to grab the attention of the viewers. A title will give a glimpse to the viewers of the content of the video.
● Try different designs: If you are not sure about a thumbnail design, create multiple ones and then add them to the video one by one. Select the design that goes best and looks attractive.
Part 4 How to Add A Customized Thumbnail To A Youtube Video
Once a customized thumbnail image is created, the next step is to add it to the video on your YouTube. The process is simple and quick and involves the following steps.
Step 1. Open your YouTube account and add the new video using the camera-plus icon. Alternatively, to add a thumbnail to the already uploaded video, go to the Studio dashboard and tap on the video for editing the settings.
Step 2. At the bottom of the video settings window, you can see the 3 thumbnails generated automatically. To upload the customized image, click on the Custom thumbnail box at the bottom right-hand side.
Step 3. Browse and import the created thumbnail image and click on the Upload button.
The selected image will not be used as the thumbnail for the video.
● A YouTube thumbnail works as the cover for your video and is the first thing that will get the attention and the interest of the viewer.
● YouTube video thumbnail dimensions as recommended must be used.
● Several pre-designed templates are available for creating interesting thumbnails.
● To create an effective thumbnail, several tips and tricks can be used like using editing software like Wondershare Filmora.