How to Convert Vertical Video to Horizontal Easily in 4 Ways
Whether, a small business, big brand or just trying your luck to be instantly famous, a perfect video plays a great role in the success of all.
Have you shot a vertical video, and then realized later that you wanted it to be horizontal?
In this article, you will learn how to convert the vertical video to horizontal on desktop and iPhone by using Filmora, Premiere Pro and iMovie.
- Part 1: How to Convert Vertical Video to Horizontal in Filmora (3 Ways)
- Part 2: How to Convert Vertical Video to Horizontal in Premiere Pro
- Part 3: How to Convert Vertical Video to Horizontal in iMovie
- Part 4: FAQ about Converting Vertical Video to Horizontal
Part 1: Convert Vertical Video to Horizontal with A Few Clicks in Filmora
Converting a 9:16 vertical video to 16:9 or 4:3, or 21:9 horizontal aspect ratio is really easy in the latest Wondershare Filmora video editor. Follow the steps below to have a try.
- Launch Wondershare Filmora on your Windows or Mac computer, if you haven’t installed it, click the button to download and install.
- In the start interface, set the aspect ratio to 16:9 or any horizontal aspect ratio on your need, and then click the New Project menu to create.
- Import the vertical video to the media library, and then drag and drop it the timeline. In the popup window, select keep project settings to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Right click the video, select the Crop to Fit menu and the vertical video will be converted to horizontal automatically.
Note: If you’re not satisfied with the Crop to Fit result, you can use the Crop and Zoom tool to adjust the cropping area. Select the video in the timeline and then click the crop and zoom icon in the tool bar to enter the Crop and Zoom window. Change the ratio to 16:9 and adjust the border to adjust the video frames.
Latest Updates: If you’re using the Filmora V10.5 and later version, you can use the Auto-Reframe features to convert the vertical video to horizontal with one click.
- In the media library, right click the video and then select Auto Reframe menu.
- Change the aspect ratio to 16:9 and then select Analyze. Filmora will start converting the vertical video to 16:9 automatically. You can also use the borders to adjust the video area.
Part 2: How to Convert Vertical Video to Horizontal in Premiere Pro
To convert the vertical videos to horizontal in Premiere Pro, you can try two solutions for it.
- Go to Project Library to right-click on it. Select New items > Sequence
- Click the Settings tab. Then select Custom under Editing Mode. Set your frame size to 16:9
- The vertical video must be dragged to the timeline
- From Effects Control, scale up the video to fit the frame
- Place the video as you want to use Position
- After filling the video, you have a horizontal video
- Create an abstract background from the video itself
- Create the new sequence using clips in DSLR 1080p 30fps
- Drag the vertical video on the timeline
- Create a copy by dragging video below the original
- Select the 2nd copy created and go to Effects Control
- Scale up the background layer
- From the Effects, search Lumetri and Gaussian Blur and drag
- Adjust the blur effect until satisfied
- Add colors and change the exposures using Lumetri
- Separate from the background by adding a drop shadow on the top layer
Part 3: How to Convert Vertical Video to Horizontal in iMovie
1. For converting the vertical video to horizontal in iMovie, firstly you need to launch the iMovie app on your Apple device.
2. For fixing the video, select and tap the video you wish to edit, from the Video tab.
3. Next, you have to tap on the share button and then Create Movie and finally click the Create New Movie option.
4. Then, you need to perform the rotating gesture on the viewer to rotate the video to the desired orientation.
5. On the upper left-hand corner find the Done button and hit on it. Finally, click on the share button, as well as, the save video option to convert the vertical video to horizontal.
Part 4: FAQ about Converting Vertical Video to Horizontal
1. How do you make a horizontal video vertical on the iPhone?
Every one of us has made the mistake of making a video in portrait mode, while we wanted a landscape mode video. Well, solving this issue is pretty easy, and we can help you with that. Just follow these steps:
- Open the photo app on your iPhone.
- Choose the video that you want to change.
- Tap on the crop tool option given at the bottom.
- Adjust the angle as per your preference.
- The rotate option will give you an opportunity of rotating video by 90-degrees.
- When you are satisfied with the video, tap Done.
- Voila, you just completed this task within a few seconds.
2. Is it better to film vertical or horizontal?
In most instances, shooting horizontally can be better than shooting vertically. Shooting horizontally helps you to capture more objects and things around you.
In addition to this, vertical videos on Video websites like YouTube are not loved by people as it looks amateurish. For making your content reach many audiences on video sites, it is always advisable to shoot horizontally.
With a few small changes, you can easily convert the vertical videos to horizontal ones. Follow the above steps and make your vertical videos horizontal very easily.
How can you exactly do a motion tracking in Premiere Elements? Just keep reading this tutorial to track motion in Premiere Elements.
by Benjamin Arango Sep 01, 2022 20:02 PM
While in this article, we will show you other methods to speed up video to create a fast motion effect with Adobe Premiere Elements.
by Benjamin Arango Sep 01, 2022 20:02 PM