How to Upload Longer Videos to Instagram on Mac
Jun 24, 2021• Proven solutions
Since Instagram's debut in 2010, it has become one of the most popular social media platforms globally. The app is optimized for mobile devices which are perfect for today's technological age. Users love communicating via high-quality pictures and videos with their friends and followers.
As users demand more ways to communicate, Instagram has been including additional features but with some limitations, requiring them to go through a complicated procedure to accomplish their goals such as uploading longer videos.
Instagrammers can capture videos, share them via direct message or on their account, and post them as a story. Unfortunately, these videos come with time limits. The length of the Instagram video depends on the type of content users wish to upload. Here’s a breakdown of the video length requirements for different types.
You May Also Like: How To Cut Video Length For Instagram On Mac>>>
- Instagram Feed Limits: These videos typically have a minimum uploading range from 3 seconds to a maximum 60 seconds video length.
- Instagram Stories Limits: Videos are limited to 15 seconds. However, users can create multiple clips and share them as combined stories for longer than 15 seconds.
- IGTV Clips Limits: Users can make and upload video clips for up to 60 minutes using IGTV. Regular Instagram account holders can post IGTV videos from 15 seconds to 10 minutes. However, video clips having a minimum 4:5 aspect ratio and maximum 5:4 video size limit will require a Mac in MP4 format.
- Instagram Live Broadcast Limits: Live broadcast videos have a limit of up to 60 minutes maximum.
Section1. How to Upload a Video Longer than 60-Seconds on Instagram?
Section2. How to Upload a Video Longer than 30-Minutes on Instagram?
Section3. How to Upload a GIF on Instagram?
Section 1. How to Upload a Video Longer than 60-Seconds to Instagram?
- Method 1: Share in the form of Multiple Video Clips
- Method 2: Use Third-Party APP- Filmora X- to Shorten Videos
Users who want to upload videos on Instagram as a post or story have restricted time limits as mentioned above. While the 60-seconds time limit may not be enough for some videos, users can get around these issues and post longer videos on Instagram using a few creative hacks.
Method 1: Share Multiple Video Clips to Instagram on MAC
Since users are bound to a limit, Instagram videos can be composed of multiple clips. You can create longer videos for Instagram by looping multiple video clips together and uploading them. Follow the below steps to do so:
1. Open Instagram on Safari > Click "View">"Developer">"Developer Tools"
2. Change the page view to the mobile model > Select a model from the devices list
3. Once the page change to mobile view, you can upload the multiple videos to Instagram from Mac, just like you upload it from a mobile phone.
In addition to sharing the video in multiple video clips, you can also use editors to trim down your videos and reduce their time limit. In this way, you will have abridged clips that you can easily upload to Instagram.
Method 2: Use Third-Party App–Filmora X–to Shorten Videos
If the above method sounds a little daunting, another method to use a third-party app on your Mac is an easy way out to effortlessly shorten and upload videos to Instagram.
A simple yet effective video editing tool, Filmora X lets you shorten your videos and edit them in several creative ways. Here are a few steps to help you understand how to easily cut a video using this app.
1.Import the video file on Mac that you want to cut down
2.Eliminate the parts that you do not want in the video
3.Change the speed of your video
4.Export and save your Video in a suitable format
Section 2. How to Upload a Video Longer than 30-Minutes to Instagram?
Sometimes a few seconds or minutes’ videos don't fulfill the purpose. Users like sharing every detail of the event happening around them therefore their videos may be longer than 30 minutes. Here are two easy methods to share lengthy videos with your followers.
- Method 1: Share a Live Video
- Method 2: Use Filmora X to Reduce Video Size
Method 1: Share a Live Video on Instagram
Live videos have up to 1-hour extended video limit. Instead of recording and uploading a video as a post, you can share it as a live video instead. Since these live videos are temporary, Instagram has now introduced replays for your followers for 24 hours as soon as you finish recording them. This means your live video plays the same as an Instagram story, appearing beside the followers' Instagram feed.
Let’s explore the steps to share a live video with friends.
- Swipe right from anywhere in the Feed or tap the camera icon on the top left of the screen
- Click “Live” at the bottom of the screen then record
- Tap Friends with smiley icons
- Choose the person’s name to invite them to join your live video and add more friends accordingly
- If your friends accept the invitation to join, they will appear on the split-screen view
- To remove the person you’ve invited, tap “Cancel” at the top right corner of the screen
Method 2: Use Filmora X to Reduce Video Size
Using apps like Filmora X is one of the best ways to edit longer videos in different ways. If you want to upload a video of more than 30-minutes on Instagram, consider using the feature smart video size reducer on Filmora X on Mac without losing video quality.
From the different video formats, bit rate, and quality to reduce video file size, you can easily cut down the video size following the below-listed steps.
- Import the video files to the user’s album
- Cut off the unwanted video clips
- Change the settings, export the file in the required format, and save on Mac
You May Also Like: How To Upload GIF to Instagram in 4 Steps>>>
Section 3. How to Upload a GIF on Instagram?
Several Instagram users have no clue to upload GIFs on the platform so they’ll be glad to know that there is a way to upload them in a form of a mini video with the introduced methods.
- Method 1: Convert Your GIF to an MP4 Video Format Using Filmora X
- Method 2: Share Your Favorite GIF on Instagram Using Giphy
Method 1: Convert Your GIF to an MP4 Video Format Using Filmora X
Filmora X lets users convert GIF images to videos instantly without any hassle following the below steps.
- Open the software on Mac
- Edit your GIF adding text, music, or colors
- Export the video and select MP4 as your format
- Upload it on Instagram
Method 2: Share Your Favorite GIF on Instagram Using Giphy
Giphy shares a wide variety of GIF collections letting users select their favorite gifs and posting on social platforms including Instagram. Follow the below steps to upload GIF using Giphy.
- Download the application and permit access to your camera
- Open the app and choose your favorite GIF to post
- Select the icon with the Instagram symbol
- Giphy will access your Instagram app and post the video file
Instagram is a fun way to communicate with followers but with the video length limitations, users often find themselves restricted to share their experiences. Fortunately, with the help of the reliable and versatile video editing software Wondershare Filmora X, you can upload longer videos without worrying about their length. Try the application for free before you pay for the fully-featured software.