Video is continually changing the way we express and communicate with the world. Several people record vlogs and share them with their family and friends. The same goes for YouTubers and business owners who create videos to boost their business online. Due to this, different video editors are available for various video formats. A common video format is AVI, and if you're wondering what the best AVI editor for different Window versions is, you're in luck.
If you're new to the video editing space, you might be wondering which is the best choice for your Windows format. This article explores the best AVI editors available. We cover both paid and free editors that you can use to edit AVI files on PC easily. So without further ado, let's begin.
Best AVI Editor to Edit AVI Video on Windows - Filmroa Video Editor
Supported System: Windows and Mac
Most free editing software is usually too simple to meet your immediate demands, or they're too challenging for you to understand the workflow. Some AVI editors for Windows lack crucial editing features like audio editing and color correction features. An AVI editor that successfully bridges the gap to become the best AVI editor for Windows on our list is Filmora Video Editor .
This editor offers excellent performance and a fast editing process that takes user experience to a new level. It is ideal for beginners because of its intuitive interface. Additionally, intermediate and professional AVI editors can also use this video editor to create stylish videos and utilize its built-in professional effects.
For Win 7 or later (64-bit)
For macOS 10.14 or later
Wondershare Filmora Features
- It is versatile and supports other video formats like MKV, MP4, MOV, etc.
- Users can crop, cut, trim, split, and combine with just a few clicks.
- Access to advanced video effects like motion elements, royalty-free music, transition, animated titles, and more
- Footage can look like Hollywood videos with Filmora color tuning features.
- With background noise removal, audio keyframing, and the audio equalizer tool, you can edit sounds.
- It provides you with real-time rending to ensure a smooth editing experience.
- You can burn videos to DVD, transfer them to various devices or upload them on YouTube or other video streaming platforms.
How to Edit Videos on Windows 11/10/8/7 Using Wondershare Filmora
Editing your videos on Filmora is relatively easy and takes just a few minutes. Keep reading to learn how to edit AVI videos on Windows 11/10/8/7 using Wondershare Filmora.
Step 1: Import AVI Video
The first step you have to take is adding the AVI video you would like to edit with Filmora. You can do this by creating a new project. Then, click on New Project on the homepage.
Once it opens a new page, click the + icon to browse the files on your device or import them from an external device.
Step 2: Edit AVI Videos
After importing your videos, you can start editing and arranging elements in your video timeline. You can overwrite, append, and carry out other editing options.
You can also add effects, titles, filters, and music using Filmora.
Step 3: Save and Share Edited AVI Video Files
Once you're done editing your video using Filmora Video Editor, you're ready to save your file. You can choose to save your video in a new format. There are different video formats available to choose from. You can either save it to a select location on your PC or export it to any preferred device. Filmora Video Editor also allows you to upload directly to a video streaming platform or burn to a DVD.
More Free AVI Editor for Windows to Edit AVI Videos
This section will list some of the best free AVI editors for Windows to successfully edit your AVI editors. You would have to download these programs as they offer you more editing tools than an online AVI editor.
Microsoft Windows 10/11 Photos App
Supported System: Windows
This free AVI video editor is compatible with Windows 10/11 and comes prebuilt into your Windows 10 PC. If you're looking for free AVI editing software, this is one of the best options you would find. One of the benefits of using this AVI video editor is that it eliminates the need for additional downloads. It comes pre-installed. However, if you can't find this Photos App on your Windows 10/11, you can download it from Microsoft Store.
It is lightweight and allows you easily edit your AVI videos. You can also convert images into an AVI video under the Automatic Video mode. This helps save time if you don't want to do much editing. However, if there are features you would like to edit in your video, you can use the custom video mode to trim, change audio volume, resize video, and include filters, motion, text, and several 3D effects in your AVI video.
However, you should note that there's no timeline, and there are some advanced features like video stabilization, split tools, and much more missing on this free AVI editor for Windows. However, it is versatile and supports several other video formats.
- It supports several video formats, including AVI, MPE, MPG, ASF, MP2, and many more
- It is entirely free
- Ideal for beginners with few editing needs
- There's no need for a new download as it comes built-in
- It doesn't support several modern file formats
- The output formats are limited
- It lacks advanced video editing features
How to Edit Using Microsoft Windows 10/11 Photos App
Editing your AVI video with Microsoft Photos App is relatively easy; follow the steps below.
- First, click the ‘add’ button in the left corner of the page and select the video you want to edit
- Next, check the media elements necessary for your video and then tap on ‘place in storyboard.’
- Now you can start editing your video. One of the ways to edit your video is to extend the duration of your video by clicking the duration button.
- You can also add motion to the video under the ‘storyboard’ section. Select the media element you would like to edit and hit the ‘motions’ button. You can then select different motion effects.
- Additionally, you can add filters under the storyboard section.
- Editors can also trim and split AVI video on this Photos app.
- Once you’re done editing, click on ‘save as’ to save your edited AVI video.
OpenShot – Open Source Video Editor
Supported System: Windows, Mac and Linus
If you want an AVI editor compatible with Windows 10/11/8/7, you should try OpenShot – Open Source Video Editor. It is ideal for carrying out basic video editing like trimming and slicing. This video editor also offers several transitions and audio effects to help you make simple videos.
There are unlimited video tracks available on OpenShot; this means you can add as many audio and video clips.
It also offers you tile templates and video formats. If you want to add more touches to your video, this free AVI editor for Windows will help you achieve that. Other impressive editing features are available on this AVI editor, like slow-motion effects, blending modes, 3D animations, and many more. Additionally, the frame and keyframes accuracy feature helps you create detailed edits. You'll easily customize your AVI video to your preference with this platform.
When exporting your file, you can export it in varying formats. You can also upload your AVI video directly to YouTube or your social media accounts. Despite the professional-level tool, the user interface is intuitive, which simplifies the editing process. However, you might find that it lacks some of the advanced editing features you would find in other AVI editors.
- It features an intuitive user interface
- It offers several editing tools for beginners and intermediate users
- It allows you to add as many audio and video tracks as you would prefer
- It is entirely free
- There are varying output formats for your selection
- Limited advanced editing tools
- OpenShot can be slow and laggy sometimes
How to Edit AVI Video With OpenShot
Using OpenShot to edit your AVI videos is relatively easy. The steps below will explain the basics and how you can edit within minutes.
- First, you have to import your media file into OpenShot.
- Next, arrange the videos on the timeline. If two or more clips overlap, this AVI editor automatically creates a smooth fade between them.
- You can then edit using the different available tools. OpenShot also allows you to add music to the timeline.
- After editing, preview the video project and export. You can also share directly to streaming platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, and more.
VSDC Video Editor – Free Movie Editor
Supported System: Windows and Mac
This AVI video editor is designed to ensure an excelling editing process for users on Windows 10. Therefore, even beginners can utilize this video editor to edit their media projects. Although it is free, it offers powerful editing features to take your AVI video to the next level. There are many features like filters, transition effects, overlays, color correction, and many more you can use.
Although it supports AVI video files, it also supports several popular media file formats. You can also save your AVI video in a new format after editing due to its effective video converter tools. Additionally, VSDC Video Editor is a non-linear tool that allows you to easily place video clips in the timeline.
You can save your edited AVI videos to your PC or upload them directly to different video streaming platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Vimeo, etc. We also love that it allows you to edit HD and 4k videos without compromising the quality. This isn't a common feature with most free AVI video editing software.
- It is a free video editing software for Windows 10
- It is versatile and supports different video and audio formats
- There is an excellent selection of filters, effects, and transitions
- You can convert AVI videos to a new format with its built-in video converter
- It features an intuitive interface that's friendly to beginners
- Technical support isn't free
- It doesn't offer professional video editing tools
Steps to Edit AVI Videos Using VSDC Video Editor
This is a simple AVI editor to use, and the steps below simplify the process for you even further; let’s take a look.
- Firstly, import your video into the VSDC Video editor by clicking the ‘import content’ button.
- Once you choose a file on your Windows PC, the app will ask if you would like to change the resolution and several more parameters.
- You can start editing your videos with the different tools available, like cutting and splitting.
- You can also crop the video if necessary.
- Another option is to apply different effects and transitions to your AVI video.
- Once you’re done editing your video, you can then export it. VSDC allows you to choose the output format. This is the best time to select a different format if that’s the goal.
- Alternatively, you can share your video directly to YouTube and other video streaming platforms.
More Paid AVI Editor for Windows to Edit AVI Videos
Although there are free AVI editors, they usually come with limited editing features. If you want an AVI editor that offers more editing features for professionals, you should try paid AVI editor for Windows. This section explores the top three paid AVI editors you can use to edit AVI videos on Windows.
Movavi Video Editor Plus
Supported System: Windows and Mac
This paid AVI video editor is compatible with Windows 10 and higher. It is an AVI editing tool that offers a user-friendly interface and advanced editing features for professionals. This video editor is compatible with Windows and Mac and supports all the popular video codecs to provide more options. It is pretty easy to navigate and master, so beginners can also utilize this AVI editor to improve their editing skills.
The best part is that you don't need it offers all you need for basic editing and advanced video enhancement. You can expect a professional quality when you utilize this editing tool. It is great for all experience levels. You can integrate various visual and audio effects in your video using Movavi Video Editor Plus. It also allows you easily edit, trim, crop, and rotate your videos. Additionally, you can include subtitles, headings, and titles in your AVI video.
If you want to take your video to the next level, you can explore the different media options like filters, animations, music, transitions, and many more from its library. You can also save your AVI video to your PC or share it directly to YouTube to save space on your PC.
- It offers you an easy to use and intuitive interface
- Ideal for beginners and professionals
- Ensures professional and top-quality results
- It supports various file formats
- Allows direct sharing to video streaming platforms
- The free trial is relatively limited
- It doesn't allow more than one project at a time
Steps to Edit AVI Video Using Movavi Video Editor Plus
Using this AVI editor for Windows is quite easy. However, the step-by-step guide below will help you get through the editing process within minutes.
- First, install the Movavi Video Editor Plus software on your PC
- Next, click ‘add files’ to add your AVI video files. Afterward, drag the selected video into the video editor timeline.
- You can then start editing your video by applying filters, enhancing the quality, adding filters and transitions, etc.
- After editing, save your video by hitting the ‘export’ button. Choose how you would like to save your video and hit ‘start.
This will save your video to your chosen location.
Supported System: Windows and Mac
An AVI editor compatible with Windows 11/10/8/8.1 or 7 is PowerDirector 365. It offers an intuitive user interface and advanced video editing features. Using this editing software is quite easy, making it ideal for beginners, intermediates, and professionals. In addition, it is compatible with Windows and Mac OS, making it a versatile choice. You can easily create Hollywood-level videos from your Windows computer using PowerDirector 365.
Some of the editing features on this AVI editor include green-screen, royalty-free music, and many more advanced visual filters. It also offers thousands of templates, overlay effects, and built-in transitions to speed up the editing process. It is an excellent option if you're looking to enhance your raw footage using cool filters and graphics. Additionally, PowerDirector 365 offers users a dual-screen and customizable editing workspace for streamlining your AVI video editing process.
While it preserves the quality of your AVI video, it allows you to save the output in other high-resolution formats like Ultra HD 4K and many more. You can also share your video directly to various streaming platforms to save you time and space on your device.
- User-friendly interface and ideal for professionals, intermediate, and beginners
- Access to built-in transitions and overlay effects
- Compatible with Windows and Mac
- Allows users to save output AVI files in higher resolution video formats
- Access to royalty-free iStock and Shutterstock library
- Limited free version
- It can be complex for beginners to understand
Steps to Edit Using PowerDirector 365
- Firstly, launch the app and choose ‘full mode’ to begin the editing process.
- Next, select ‘import media folder’ to import the media files you want to edit.
- Browse the folders on your PC and choose the folder with the videos you want; click ‘select folder’ to import them into the editor’s media library.
- Now you can select the video you want to edit from the media library and drag it into the video timeline.
- The editing process can begin. PowerDirector 365 allows you to split and trim your video clips.
- You can also add transitions between the clips by selecting the transition room.
- You can also add title texts to your AVI video if you prefer.
- After editing, select the ‘produce’ tab to export your video.
- You can choose to change the video format before exporting.
- Once you choose your preferred format, it will save your edited AVI video file.
Which Should I Choose: Free or Paid AVI Editor?
Many AVI editors for Windows (free and paid) are available on the internet. Therefore, it can be pretty challenging to determine the right AVI editor for Windows to choose. You need to consider many factors to make your choice, and below are some of them.
- Experience Level: One of the most crucial features you need to consider is your experience level. If you're a beginner, you don't want an AVI editor that offers complex features you can use. The same goes for professionals; you don't want an editor without comprehensive editing tools to meet your editing needs. You should lookout for an editor that supports beginners and professionals. This will eliminate the need to look for a new editor once your skills improve.
- Interface: You also need to consider the user interface of your video editor before choosing between paid and free AVI editors for Windows. A friendly user interface can save you a lot of time getting familiar with the editing software. Check out the user interface to determine how easy it would be to navigate when editing your AVI videos.
- Formats: Ensure that the software you choose doesn't limit you to specific video formats. You want an AVI editor that also supports the common and modern video formats. This allows you to convert your AVI videos when you need to share your video to streaming platforms that don't support AVI file formats.
Most free AVI editors offer limited features to users, limiting your editing process. Additionally, some paid AVI editors focuses on professional and makes it difficult for beginners to use. Always opt for an AVI editor that succinctly supports all your editing needs and allows you to develop your skills.
Although AVI is an old video format, it is quite popular. Therefore, it's crucial to have an AVI video editor if you prefer this file format. This article covered the best free and paid AVI editor for Windows. Most of the reviewed editing software offers you unique features to fulfill your editing needs. We also mentioned the pros and cons of each AVI editor for Windows to help you determine which option suits you best. If you want a video editor that will help you take your videos to the next level, you will need an editor that provides you with access to many special effects and unique editing tools. Filmora Video Editor provides you with an intuitive interface and a feature-packed library to start editing your AVI videos.
FAQs About Editing AVI Video
- How can I edit AVI videos like a pro? To edit an AVI video like a pro, you need to learn to use advanced editing features. One of the ideal ways is to pick an AVI editor with an intuitive interface that allows you to master professional concepts.
- What is the best AVI video editor for Windows 10? The best AVI editor for Windows 10 depends on your experience and if you're looking for free or paid software.
- Can I edit an AVI file? Yes, you can. You need to find an AVI editing software compatible with your operating system and version. Also, you need to ensure it is ideal for your level of experience.