Google cardboard offers an immersive virtual reality experience in a fun, affordable and simple way. You don’t need to spend quite huge amount of money only to have your own Google cardboard. Just recently, Google introduced DIY virtual reality with some basic tools and at the comfort of your own home. So, how do you get started?
Steps for DIY VR
In not more than 3 hours, people were able to construct their own virtual reality viewer. Do you also want to successfully make your own? Here’s what you will need, together with some important tips and tools to properly do it.
1.The accessories you will need
- PDF file of Google cardboard
- At least two cardboards
- rubber band
- Art knife
- Double-sided adhesive
It is recommended to use the right type of cardboard, with the same thickness as that of a durable shoe box. You can use a pizza box, but make sure it offers enough flat surfaced material to work with. Of course, you want something durable, yet slim to work with. In some cases, a couple of additional items might be needed such as ceramic disc magnet, neodymium magnet, some pieces of Velcro, big rubber band and at least 45 mm lenses.
2.How to assemble accessories
- Download the compressed template folder from Google .
- Print the design files you want.
- Cut the design and glue it on the cardboard.
- Assemble the Google cardboard.
- Set up the 2 lenses.
- Now is the right time to put neodymium ring magnet and ceramic disk magnet.
- Set up the 2 strips of regular strength adhesive-backed Velcro.
- Get now a rubber band to avoid sliding out of your smartphone from the Google cardboard.
- If necessary, affix the NFC tag to the cardboard.
Pros and cons of DYI Google cardboard
Using Google cardboard is an excellent choice, since it is…
- Super cheap
- Easy to use
- Offers unequaled fun
However, there are downsides, too, such as:
- Quality not the best
- Limited functionality
- The display effect is not good
- Just a little content
But overall, DIY VR is can offer you one-of-a-kind virtual reality experience you will surely love in a cost-effective way. Have a fun DIY VR headset and see you in the virtual world!