Why should add video watermark for YouTube video?
A watermark is a still image that is usually plugged in the videos, for the purpose of claiming copyrights. This way nobody can claim it as their own property to generate money or use for other wrong purposes. This still image can be a logo or just a text. People generally use it for publicity purposes as well. A water mark may sit in the center of the screen, at bottom or sometimes even at the corner. It maybe opaque, but usually a transparent water mark is recommended so it does not hinder the view of the video.
YouTube generally carries a “branding” option were you can brand your video with your channel. This doesn’t provide a stable logo. Therefore, when someone downloads that video using a second party (YouTube downloader) it gets removed. For this purpose the legal author will have to put a Channel logo on their YouTube videos.
How to add logo or watermark to in existing YouTube videos:
- Sign in to your YouTube account.
- Click on the thumb nail image of your account at the top right corner. This will give you a drop down menu
- Click on the small gear (indicating settings)
- This will lead you to a box. Click on “view additional features”
- To the left of the window,” Click the fourth option of “branding”
- Click on “add watermark”
- Choose an image from your computer
- Click save
After saving you can select the time duration for which the watermark will stay in the video (either at the beginning, or at the end). You may keep it through the entire video. Update to save your settings. Check by previewing one of your videos by clicking “video manager” and playing one of your videos. The water mark has been added to your video.
Here is a tutorial video for how to add a logo or watermark to Your YouTube videos:
Add logos or watermarks to your videos before uploading
Wondershare Filmora which is one of the ideal video editing tools especially when it comes to watermarking your videos. It helps you in adding static and video watermarks over the video. The basic theme of the video watermarking is the concept of picture-in-picture.
The following steps have to be taken to add a watermark:
- Add the video and watermarking data by drag dropping it into the workspace
- Drag the required video on the timeline and the watermark on it as well
- Adjust the water mark and add pre-made special effects to it
- Mask the watermark in the shape you like
- Save the video
Windows movie maker
Windows movie maker is free default windows software which can easily add water mark to your videos to secure your copyrights. It can cater two types of watermarks; images and text. For images it just supports PNG and GIF format files and generally doesn’t support transparency. Moreover, an external file, Windows Logo Locator is needed for placing the logo at different positions.
- Open windows movie maker
- Click on ‘videos’ under the title of import.
- Import your video to the timeline.
- Right beneath imports under the category of edit you will find ‘titles and credits’. Click.
- Enter the text for watermark.
- Choose the title positioning, font and transparency.
- Add title. You will find it along the length of timeline. You may drag to expand it, for viewing it during the entire videos length. Select file and click publish video.
The image should be in .PNG or .GIF format.
- Save the image in >C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\.
- Download a logo Locator as per your installed windows from FX archives.
- Select the location of the logo in your video where you want it to appear.
- Choose the screen size and the logo size
- Type the name of the file of the logo you had already saved with the extension. For e.g. logo.png
- Copy the text that appears underneath and paste it on the notepad and save the typed file in >C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\.
- Open windows movie maker again.
- Choose title and credits underneath the edit category.
- Press space bar once and then click ‘change the title animation’.
- You will see your image there. Click on ad title and press Ctrl+p to publish.
You can also use the free video editing software VirtualDub for cutting editing and watermarking videos. The following sets should be taken to watermark a video in this software:
- Save the image your want to put on the video as 24 Bit BMP file>
- Import the video file (only avid format).
- Go to Video>Filters and press add.
- Select the logo filter and browse for the water mark image.
- Select Show preview to see a preview of your watermark on the video.
- Use the X, Y axis scroll bar to position your watermark according to your requirement.
- Click on Transparent color checkbox and type in the color code for a color you want to make transparent.
- Select the opacity of the watermark. Once you are satisfied press Ok and import the video for your use later.
Here is tutorial video on how to add a PNG watermark in Virtualdub: