Create High-Quality Video - Wondershare Filmora
An easy and powerful YouTube video editor
Numerous video and audio effects to choose from
Detailed tutorials are provided by the official channel
So you're all set: you've sat down, grabbed your microphone, fired up your recording software, and started pouring out the content of your mind. Once finished, you listen back to the recording, thinking you're about to hear the silky-smooth undertones of your voice resonating through your ears, but something odd occurs — it sounds terrible. Distorted audio is very unwelcoming since you want the sound to be natural. This guide will explain how to fix distorted audio using various methods.
In this article
What Causes Distorted Audio?
Distorted audio is the main culprit in ruined audio clips. Here are some of the causes of distorted sound.
1. Recording Environment
Not recording dialogue and voice-over in a studio can cause distorted audio. However, audio quality can be out of control if you conduct an onsite interview. Getting a meaningful and cinematic shot should come first. If you do not use a studio-quality microphone that comes with directional controls, you'll likely have distorted audio. You might want to go for a unidirectional stereo channel if you want boom movements to be undetectable.
When a cheap, low-quality microphone is moving, you'll hear the unsteadiness in your recording, leading to distorted audio. Recording audio in an echo chamber or an overly large room can also result in distorted audio.
2. Touching the Mic While Recording
If you hand the microphone to someone who does not know how to use it, they might hold it too loosely or close. Microphones feature sensitive parts that should not be dropped, shaken, or breathed on. When you are interviewing people unfamiliar with industry standards, you should hold the microphone, not the person you are interviewing. The mic is not within the range of 6" to 12 " away from the speaker, this could lead to distorted audio.
3. Using the Wrong Mic
A reliable mic comes with audio controls and captures room tone and timbre. It should be portable, compact, and have a wind sleeve. In outdoor situations where ADR is not an option, you might want to use a wind sleeve.
Podcast showrunners and content creators often use Blue Yeti mics connected to a soundboard. While these are cheaper options, they can cause distorted audio. Content creators who are not stationary should purchase a lavalier, and wireless is a more high-end and expensive option.
4. Positioning Your Microphones Incorrectly
You have to be careful if you'll be mounting a mic on your DSLR. Filming events with a one-mic setup is a promise to record everything you hear again. You'll inevitably film some moments at a distance and leave the audio compromised to distortion.
5. Faulty Equipment
Your equipment can fail in different ways. For instance, your effects processor can fail, meaning that you won't hear any sound passing through it. It can also fail, and you end up hearing a distorted sound passing out of the processor. Essentially, this might or might not be linked to the component's capability of handling the signal as much as the busted internals result.
How To Fix Distorted Audio Using Different Methods
You can fix distorted audio using various methods. They include:
Method 1: How To Fix Distorted Audio in Audacity
Audacity is the bread and butter for individuals who adore a crisp audio quality. Audacity helps users finetune various attributes of their recordings. It is a free and intuitive software suite suitable for newbies and individuals who don't interact with computers. With that in mind, here is how to fix distorted audio using Audacity.
- Open the audio file by dragging and dropping it into Audacity.
- Select the distorted part and click on the Effect option. Then, select Noise Reduction.
- The Noise Reduction window will open.
- Now, click on Noise Profile, and Audacity will know what to filter out.
- Next, select the entire audio and open the Noise Reduction Window again ( Effect > Noise Reduction ). Then, set the values to suit your preferences.
- Hit preview to check the audio, then the Click OK button.
If the audio is still distorted, apply the filter again. Don't overdo the process numerous times to ensure your audio is not degraded, making the voice sound robotic and tinny.
Now, use compression to your advantage. If compression confuses you, think of it as a tool that adjusts your audio for the listener's benefit. Compression not only quiets the background minutiae that creeps into your recording, but it also boosts your voice and gives it a full, captivating resonance.
- To start the compression process, select your audio track, press CTRL + A, click "Effect" and then click "Compressor."
- Adjust the values in the compressor to meet your needs and make your voice "pop" from the background.
- Once you have set the values, hit the Preview button to check the audio. Then, click on OK.
That is how to fix distorted audio using Audacity.
You May Be Interested In:
How To Fix Distorted Audio in Garageband
Garageband is one of the most popular audio recording software available. Though you can use it for various purposes, it is mainly intended to be used to create music. However, many people have the problem of distorted audio files, making production difficult when trying to perfect a project. To learn how to fix distorted audio in Garageband, follow the steps below:
- Launch GarageBand, then open your audio file. Once your audio file finishes loading, select the audio file from which you want to remove distortion by clicking it.
- Click on the "i" symbol encapsulated in a blue circle positioned on the lower-right portion of your screen. This icon sits in the middle of two other icons: a set of notes and an eye.
- Select the "Real Instrument" tab located on the top right side of your screen. You'll see two tabs: Master Tracks and Real Instrument.
- Click the Edit tab to activate it, and a list of effects will pop up.
- Select Distortion from the list, and you'll see a drop-down menu.
- Next, select the None option to remove distortion.
If you have distorted audio due to poor recording quality, navigate to the Real Instrument"Edit menu and select AULowpass from the boxes available. Doing this will remove frequencies above a certain range, and this will fix the distorted audio.
Method 3: How To Fix Distorted Audio in Windows 10
Several actions can cause problems or distort sound on your Windows 10 application. Some of the common causes include:
- When upgrading your computer from an older version to a new one
- In case your computer gets corrupted with a virus
- If your computer or device doesn’t the right sound drivers
So how do you fix distorted audio in Windows 10? There are several ways you can fix distorted audio in Windows 10. Here is how to fix distorted audio using some of the best ways.
1. Reinstall drivers
- Right-click the start button and choose device manager.
- Navigate through sound, video, and game controllers.
- Click on the Details tab.
- Select hardware Ids from the drop-down menu.
- Copy and first the first value of drivers in your browser and search the internet.
- Open the official site and download the correct driver。
- Install and restart your PC。
2. Update drivers
- Right-click on the start button.
- Scroll to the sound, video, and game controllers option.
- Right-click on the sound device and select uninstall the device.
- Restart your PC after the uninstall process is finished.
- Open the device manager.
- Select and click on the scan for hardware changes option.
Windows will automatically install a new version of sound drivers
3. Run Windows Audio Troubleshooter
- To use this method, open Start and click the cog-like icon. This will open the Settings app.
- Select Update & security.
- Choose Troubleshoot in the left pane.
- Expand the Playing Audio by clicking it.
- Hit the Run the troubleshooter button, then follow the further instructions.
4. Take Exclusive Control of Your Device Option by Disabling Allow Applications
- Navigate to the notification area and right-click on the sound icon. Open Playback devices.
- Next, right-click on the default Playback Device, then open Properties.
- Choose the Advanced tab option.
- Navigate to the Exclusive mode section and check the box that says disable Allow applications to control your device.
When it comes to editing or performing audio editing in the video, Wondershare Filmora is a powerful video editing software that can help you with reducing the voiceover volume, mute the audio in the video, or cut, copy, paste or insert your audio files. Learn more about the audio editing features of Filmora from the below video & download Filmora to try!
For Win 7 or later (64-bit)
For macOS 10.12 or later
● Whether you're an amateur audio enthusiast or produce a podcast with thousands of listeners, the quality of your audio can "make or break" your results. When your audience is listening to an audio recording, the last thing they want to notice or hear is a distortion because it is very distracting. When recording, it is almost impossible to find an environment that removes audio distortion without access to a recording studio. Luckily, you can use the above methods to fix distorted audio and make it look professional.