8 Best Motion Tracking Software You Need to Know (Free/Paid)
May 16, 2023• Proven solutions
Motion tracking software is used all over the world, and for a variety of reasons. From security footage to headshots, this reasonably new technology is fast on the rise. Want to get to know a bit more about it? Join us, while we look at some of the best free motion tracking software out there – and some of the paid programs, too.
Part 1: What is Motion Tracking
Motion Tracking is an umbrella term that we use to cover any film footage that tracks movements. This might sound a little silly, but one of the best things about being able to detect motion on screen is the ability to switch on and start recording only when movement occurs. Motion tracking is also used in advanced film editing to add something to a shot, stabilize film, insert 3D items, color grade – and a whole host of other types of edit. It is sometimes called match moving, instead.
We put together a list of the best places to get free – or paid – motion tracking software on the internet. These are fully technical editing suites designed to help you get the best from any edit. Read on for more.
Part 2: 8 Best Free Motion Tracking Software
Filmora Pro has both free and paid features. Made by Wonderszhare, this motion tracking software comes as part of a full editing suite, capable of dealing with both audio and visuals. It allows you to make high resolution, pro-finish videos while giving you access to a range of editing tools. When you choose motion tracking software from Filmora Pro, you are receiving the industry standard in film editing.
Motion tracking with Filmora Pro allows you to analyze movements within the video, then capture and move it onto another clip, move it to another part of the video entirely, or apply the motion to a specific part of film, throughout.
- Motion tracking, audio and video stabilizer, layering, split screen, GIF, color grading…
- Text editing, blurring, speed controls, social media connect, audio mixer…
- And several more on top of their motion tracking software.
Now that “What is motion tracking?” has been answered, we can move on to the best free motion tracking software.
This is a favored motion tracking software program for beginners, possibly because of the huge online resource library they keep. This library has everything you need to turn yourself into a master editor in no time. This is one of the best starter programs and contains advanced tools like 3D model importing, lens flaring, and other cool effects.
- Advanced Editing software with an online resource library to help you learn.
- VFX tools include 3d Shield, Timeline combo, rendering, export and animations.
- Comes with audio support and plenty of add-on choice.
Blender is an open source platform that allows you to edit video footage, for free. It contains free motion tracking software that has won awards. It is clean, efficient, and contains the basics needed for you to begin. It only earns number four on our list for having limited tracks, and for not being the best motion tracking software programs. You can unlock more advanced tools, if you are willing to use external add-ons.
- Free motion tracking software with support.
- Animation, 3D modelling, basic image and video effects.
- Best used for complex footage where effects are overlapping.
Part 3: Best Paid Motion Tracking Software
Now that we have covered the nest free motion tracking software; let’s look more closely at paid alternatives.
After Effects is the Adobe tribute to motion tracking software. This is a video editing suite destined to do everything you could ever think of. You can create motion graphics, fix transitions, animate 3D images – and more. As well as providing motion tracking software as part of the program, this software can create something from nothing. If you have no film and are starting from scratch, you could use this.
- Titles, transition management, credits and motion tracking software.
- Animate graphics create your own cartoons or create keyframes and expressions.
- Seamless compatibility with all things Adobe
Premiere Pro is another great Adobe product, this time with ta full video editing suite, rather than the focus on animation and motion tracking software that After Effects has. It integrates with other products very well, comes with Adobe Sensei and Premiere Rush, and can be used across multiple devices. Adobe Premiere Pro is arguably the best well-rounded video editing program that includes motion tracking software.
- Automated tools which allow you to work without leaving your timeline.
- Edit any format of footage with file support and faster ProRes HDR.
- Everything you need to create awesome footage, as well as room to work with third party add-ons.
Although you can try Final Cut Pro X for free, you won’t get access to the full range of features. This newest version has all the old affects you would expect and a few new features to boot. Real-time effects, rendering exporting, and overall performance of this program have all been revamped. This motion tracking software has been designed to be used alongside the Mac, which is what makes it a little different from other full video editing suites.
- 23 streams of 4k ProRes RAW capabilities, with up to 6 streams of 8k.
- Designed for speed, 2.7 x faster rendering. Magnetic timeline and multicam editing.
- Advanced color grading, video noise reduction and a whole array of advanced editing tools.
- Not only can you work faster – multicam lets you work with up to 64 camera angles at once.
SynthEyes is a lesser-known motion tracking software application. It works with Linux, as well as Mac and Windows, which gives it a bit of an edge. It isn’t inclusive of a whole suite like the others on our list – but it is a specialist piece of software that will let you do what you need to. Syntheyes exports to a wide list of apps, comes with an affordable price, and has loads of neat features you wouldn’t expect for the money.
- Standalone motion tracking software app.
- Planar tracking, video stability, motion capture built in.
- Insert objects, reconstruct footage, maximize product placement.
Filmora is the most well-balanced editor on the list. Its Motion Tracking tool is intuitive, fast and very lightweight. You can move tracked data to other parts of your video or transfer it to another clip altogether. Moreover, the unique Face-off feature combined with an extensive library of effects, transitions, filters, and stock content, makes it a no brainer.
The best part about choosing Filmora is that you get the Motion Tracking tool as part of one of the best video editors out there. Filmora is well-known in the editing industry for delivering cinema-grade editing functionality on an interface that even amateurs are comfortable with. From basic trimming and splitting to advanced features such as Multiple Layering, Color Grading, Chroma-Key and Scene Detection Filmora has you covered.