How to Make Thumbnails
The main reason people want to make thumbnail is to help people looking for your type of video to find it by another means but the title alone. When you make thumbnail they can see more about your video which prompts them to click knowing that they have made the right choice. Customising your thumbnail will help it to stand out and can get your brand out there. This makes it easier for your followers to relate the thumbnail to you and once you know how, you will wonder why you didn’t try it before!
You May Also Like: Top 10 YouTube Thumbnail Makers - Online and Apps >>
- How to make thumbnails with Pixlr
- How to make thumbnails with Canva
- How to make thumbnails with Filmora
- Tips for thumbnails
How to make thumbnails with Pixlr
By using Pixlr to make thumbnail icons you can do so for free. You don’t have to be tech savvy to do it, just follow the simple instructions below to professionalise and customise while you make thumbnail icons for your videos.
Step 1: The first thing you will need to do before you can make thumbnail icons is to use your email account to login.
Step 2: Once you have logged in launch the application by clicking it, then select ‘create new image.
Step 3: choose a name for the image and set the height and width.
Step 4: Open the image you wish to use
Step 5: the next thing you will need to do is to edit the image to make thumbnail personal. You can do so by adding a filter, making adjustments to the brightness and colour and much more.
Step 6: if you wish to use more than one image then now is the time to select ‘add image’ once again and making adjustments.
Step 7: The next step is to add text if you so wish.
Step 8: The next step is to save your picture in the Pixlr app
Watch the tutorial video:
How to make thumbnails with Canva
Canva allows users to take the information from their videos and incorporate them when they make thumbnail images their own. In doing so you can increase the amount of people viewing your video because your personalisation will make it stand out. You get to choose the image, add text and tweak the final design or you can make thumbnail designs that are synchronized for your channel or playlist. It’s simple to use and can help increase the professionalism of the thumbnail.
Step 1: The first thing you will need to do is sign up for a Canva account and sign in once you have done so.
Step 2: The next step is to upload the image of choice, which you can do from taking off Google or from your own files stored on your device. Once uploaded set the best size to fit into your Thumbnail without cutting off vital bits of information.
Step 3: You can easily edit the image at this point so that the brightness, contrast and other aspects suit your specifications.
When you make thumbnail via this method you will also be able to trim and blur the shot to make it stand out.
Step 4: The next step is to add any text you need/want to attract your viewers.
Step5: Last but not least the final step to make thumbnail is to save your new creation.
See tutorial video:
How to make thumbnails with Filmora
Channel art has become increasingly important as more and more people are adding their videos to YouTube making it harder to stand out. Filmora can help you to make thumbnail art whether or not you are proficient with computer technology so that it can look as professional as the hard-core posters. Filmora gives you more options when it comes to adding effects as you make thumbnail images.
Step 1: The first thing you will need to do is select a video or image that is going to be the thumbnail to your video. If you decide to use your video then you will need to select which frame you want to use and click on the ‘snapshot icon’ so that you can use the image for your picture.
Step2: once you have uploaded your picture/screenshot you will be able to add any filter from the Filmora app. You will also be able to add overlays if this will add to the effect, split the screen to show more than one image when you make thumbnail and add text.
Step3: don’t forget that if you wish to make thumbnail from video screenshots you will need to play the video and click on the frame you want to use to make it an image. Once you find it right click and select ‘find target’.
Tips for thumbnails
Depending on which product you use to make thumbnail images there are certain tips that can help you to get the best possible image to attract new and old visitors.
1. Image size & resolution
For Vimeo: If you are using Vimeo for your videos be aware that thumbnails can only be used in JPG/GIF/PNG.
For YouTube: You will need to make the image as big as you possibly can because it will also be used as a way to preview for your viewers. The recommendations to make thumbnail this way are as follows:
- Set resolution to 1280x720 and have a minimum width of at least 640 pixels
- Use JPG, GIF, BMP and PNG as your image format
- Don’t forget to keep within the 2MB limit
- Where possible use a 16.9 aspect ratio. The reason for this is because it is the most commonly used for both the video and preview.
2. Make your text huge
Remember that any font you have will be smaller once you make thumbnail from it. For this reason make your text as big as possible.
3. Easy to see and understand
Don’t make thumbnail too complicated as you want your potential viewers to know exactly what it is at a glance. Ensure they can be easily seen and give information as to the video content.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>
- Vimeo Video Tips
- 1. Definition
- 1.1 What is Vimeo?
- 1.2 Vimeo Basic, Vimeo Plus or Vimeo Pro: Which is Right for You?
- 1.3 Vimeo vs YouTube: Which is Better?
- 1.4 Vimeo vs YouTube vs Dailymotion: Which Video Platform is Right for You?
- 2. How to Edit/Tips +
- 2.1 How to Make Thumbnail
- 2.2 How to add subtitle/captions to Vimeo videos
- 2.3 How to Trim and Cut Vimeo Videos
- 2.4 How to Add Music to Vimeo Videos
- 2.5 How to Make Vimeo Videos
- 2.6 How to upload iMovie video to Vimeo
- 2.7 How to Upload Window Movie Maker Video to Vimeo
- 2.8 How to insert a Vimeo video into PowerPoint
- 2.9 How to share Vimeo video online
- 2.10 Tips to Get Your Video “Staff Picked” on Vimeo
- 3. Editing Tools +
- 3.1 Best Video Editor for Vimeo
- 3.2 Vimeo Cameo Review
- 3.3 10 Best Alternatives to Vimeo Cameo
- 3.4 Which is Better Video Editor for iPhone? Cameo or FilmoraGo?
- 4. How to download Vimeo Videos +
- 3.1 Best Vimeo Video Downloaders
- 3.2 How to Download Vimeo Video to MP4
- 3.3 How to Download Vimeo Video to MP3