- • How to Edit Videos for YouTube
- 1. Overview of YouTube Video Editor
- 2. YouTube Video Editor Guide+
- 2.1 How to Use YouTube Video Editor
- 2.2 How to Use YouTube Enhancements Tool
- 2.3 How to Edit Title, Description, and Tags
- 2.4 How to Edit Audio on YouTube
- 2.5 How to Add Logo or Watermark
- 2.6 How to Edit the Video Length on YouTube
- 2.7 How to Edit Uploaded YouTube Videos
- 2.8 How to Remove YouTube Videos
- 2.9 How to Add Music to YouTube Video
- 2.10 How to Edit Channel Description
- 2.11 How To Add Custom Thumbnails
- 2.12 How to Blur Faces or Objects
- 2.13 How to remove black bars from existing videos
- 2.14 What is YouTube Creative Commons
- 2.15 Standard YouTube License vs. Creative Commons
- 2.16 How to Add YouTube Annotations and Cards
- 2.17 How to Change the Privacy Setting
- 2.18 How to Add Subtitles and Closed Captions
- 3. Best YouTube Video Editing Tools
- 4. Editing in Hot Editors
- 5. Tools for Customizing YouTube Channel
- 6. Editing on Different Devices
- 7. Advanced Editing Tips
- 8. YouTube Ultimate Guide
How To Add Custom Thumbnails to Your YouTube Videos
Custom thumbnails are a great way to get people's attention to your YouTube video. It's a pretty simple process. If you are wondering how to add thumbnail to YouTube video and customize it with the correct size. You have come to the right place. While in this article, I will show you how to add a thumbnail to a YouTube video and how to change the YouTube video thumbnail. Follow these easy steps below and add eyecatching customed thumbnails to your YouTube videos in no time.
How To Add Custom Thumbnails to Your YouTube Videos [Steps, Tools and Tips]
- Part 1: Create and Add Custom Thumbnails to YouTube
- Part 2: Tools to create custom YouTube video thumbnails
- Part 3: Things you need to know before making a custom thumbnail
We have just made a video tutorial about how to make a YouTube thumbnail, check it below to find out the tips and tricks of making customized YouTube thumbnail.
Part 1: Create and Add Custom Thumbnails to YouTube
After you've verified your account and made your thumbnail, it's finally time to upload it to your video. To do this, go to Creator Studio and then Video Manager. You'll see a button labelled "Edit" next to each video, and an arrow pointing down. Click Thumbnail Editor.
In Thumbnail Editor, you can use the still images in the video as a thumbnail, choose a solid background color for the thumbnail, or add other images from your computer. I will show you the steps of how to customize the video still as a video thumbnail.
1. Preview the video and choose the target video still. You can click the Playback button and check the video and pause it at the desired frame. Or, you can step through each frame by clicking the Preview Frame button and Next Frame icon. Click Next to continue.
2. And now, you can add text, image and shape overlays to the thumbnail. You can change the text font, size, opacity and more.
3. Click Next to save the thumbnail and you will see how the thumbnail displays on different platforms such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. Click Save to save the video thumbnail.
In this way, you can add a custom thumbnail to the new videos and change the video thumbnail of the previously uploaded videos.
Tools to create custom thumbnails
Of course, you can use some of the best tools to make a YouTube video thumbnail. In this part, we will show you some of the best tools to create custom YouTube thumbnails.
1. Create YouTube Thumbnail with Online solution - Canva
Canva is a free, powerful online image editing program with tons of great templates to get you started. One of their templates just happens to be YouTube thumbnails. Open Canva and select the "YouTube Thumnail" design type. Use your own photo or choose from a huge library, then add text and effects to really make it stand out. Save and share — easy as that.
Check this video tutorial to see how to Make a Youtube Thumbnail using Canva.
You may also like: Best online Photo Editor in 2018
2. Design YouTube thumbnail with Desktop solution - Gimp
Gimp is one of the most popular image editing programs around for one very simple reason: it's powerful and free! Where Canva uses a lot of templates, Gimp gives you absolute, full control over how you want your image to look. Make a 1280x720 image and start putting together your eye-catching thumbnail exactly how you want to.
Check this video tutorial to see how to make professional Thumbnails for YouTube Videos with Gimp:
You may also like: Top 10 YouTube Thumbnail Makers >>
Things you need to know before making a custom thumbnail
- About the proper YouTube video thumbnail size: Your thumbnail should be 1280x720 pixels in size and be less than 2MB. The minimum width of the image is 640 pixels.
- About the YouTube Image thumbnail format: Use .JPG, .PNG, .GIF or .BMP files for your thumbnail image.
- You'll want your thumbnails to stand out. Bright colored text is a simple, easy way to draw people's attention. Red, white, yellow, or orange are all popular choices.
- You can even do a little homework to see what colors others are using for similar videos to yours, and then choose different colors to stand out.
One word of warning: your thumbnail should be related to the content of your video. Misleading thumbnail images, if reported, will reflect poorly on your channel. You'll get a negative rating in the community status part of your channel. This can actually remove your ability to use custom thumbnails, so keep it honest!
Check how to edit a YouTube video in Filmora video editor.
You may also like: Best video editing software for YouTube
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>