- • How to Edit Videos for YouTube
- 1. Overview of YouTube Video Editor
- 2. YouTube Video Editor Guide+
- 2.1 How to Use YouTube Video Editor
- 2.2 How to Use YouTube Enhancements Tool
- 2.3 How to Edit Title, Description, and Tags
- 2.4 How to Edit Audio on YouTube
- 2.5 How to Add Logo or Watermark
- 2.6 How to Edit the Video Length on YouTube
- 2.7 How to Edit Uploaded YouTube Videos
- 2.8 How to Remove YouTube Videos
- 2.9 How to Add Music to YouTube Video
- 2.10 How to Edit Channel Description
- 2.11 How To Add Custom Thumbnails
- 2.12 How to Blur Faces or Objects
- 2.13 How to remove black bars from existing videos
- 2.14 What is YouTube Creative Commons
- 2.15 Standard YouTube License vs. Creative Commons
- 2.16 How to Add YouTube Annotations and Cards
- 2.17 How to Change the Privacy Setting
- 2.18 How to Add Subtitles and Closed Captions
- 3. Best YouTube Video Editing Tools
- 4. Editing in Hot Editors
- 5. Tools for Customizing YouTube Channel
- 6. Editing on Different Devices
- 7. Advanced Editing Tips
- 8. YouTube Ultimate Guide
How to Add Text to YouTube Video Before or After Uploading
A great way to emphasize something you say in your vlog is to have your words appear next to you as you say them. Adding text to your YouTube videos can look really professional. You might put a title at the beginning of your video, use bullet points to help people keep track of your monologue, or to highlight an important point by writing it on your screen. When you use text in your videos there are a few things you need to keep in mind. This article is all about how to use text effectively in your YouTube videos.
From 20th September 2017 users will no longer be able to use the complimentary editing suite. Check the best YouTube video editor alternatives from this complete guide.
How to Add Text to YouTube Video
- Part 1: Add text to video before uploading
- Part 2: Add text to video after uploadig
- Part 3: Top 3 YouTube Video Text Tips
How to Add Text to video with YouTube before uploading
On the other hand, you can add text even before you upload any videos on YouTube. You can make use of soft wares like Filmora, Windows Movie Maker, Sony Vegas Movie Studio and Adobe Premier. These soft wares are great video editors, which can help you input text easily.
1. Use Filmora
- Open up Filmora and drag a clip into your timeline. Then, go to Text/Credit.
- Find a style that you like and drag it into your timeline where you want your text to appear. Make sure your text is selected in your timeline and click the Advanced Text Editing icon, which looks like a pen and paper.
- Insert your own words and drag your text to where you want it on the screen. Adjust the size by dragging the blue squares which surround your text.
- To change the color of your text go into the ‘Customize’ menu. You will find it near the top left of your screen. While you are in ‘Customize’ there will be a section called ‘Fill’. This is where you select the color of your text. You can even change the fill type to ‘gradient fill’ and have your text transition between two colors.
- All of Filmora’s text options are animated – they fade, move around the screen, or perform some other type of action as they appear and disappear. To change the animation of your text select ‘Animation’ next to ‘Customize’. A selection of different animations will appear. Double click on the one you want to apply to your text.
2. Use Windows Movie Maker
- To start, launch the Windows Movie Maker.
- After, select import video to insert the video that you want to add text with.
- Select edit movie then click make credits or titles.
- Then add the text that you want to include.
3. Use Sony Vegas Movie Studio
- Launch Sony Vegas Movie Studio.
- Click the View Menu then select Media Generators.
- Choose the generator that you want to use.
- After, drag the generator you have chosen on the timeline.
- Then, the video event FX dialogue box will appear.
- Enter the text that you want and modify it by changing the font, size and style.
4. Use Adobe Premier
- Click open or create project.
- Click the file menu then choose new and title.
- After, the text window will appear then utilize the text tool to add text.
- You can also edit your text using the commands that are provided in the Title Menu.
- Save the text that you have made by clicking the file menu then choose Save As.
How to Add Text to video with YouTube after uploading
YouTube is not only a site for videos but is also the place where you can edit your videos in an instant. As you have read, adding text to the uploaded videos is just a breeze.
Here are the steps on how you can add text to your videos with YouTube Video Editor.
- Go to youtube.com then sign in to your account.
- After signing in, click the "Upload" button that is beside the search bar.
- Once you have clicked the upload button, you will be able to see option then click the video Editor.
- After you have clicked the video editor, you can see all the videos that you have in your account.
- Above your uploaded videos, you can see the options my videos, CC, Camera, Music, Transition and Text button. Click the latter.
- You will be able to see the styles of text that you want to apply to you YouTube video. Drag down the style that you want to use to the box below which is called the timeline.
- After dragging, a box will pop up where you can have a preview of the text. You can also find here the text box where you can add the text. You can change the font, color, size and style of the text. Not only that, as you can also change the background color.
- After entering the text, just click done on the bottom part of the pop up box.
- You can also add transition of the text on the exit and enter part.
- Once everything is okay, you can change the name of the video and you can do it in the box beside Project.
Cons of Using YouTube Video Editor
When you make use of this editor, you cannot shorten the clips for music. Moreover, since it is an online editor, you need to refresh the page in order to do the changes. Aside from YouTube Video Editor, you can use Adobe Premier Pro, MAGIX Vegas Pro, OpenShot and Avidemux.
Top 3 YouTube Video Text Tips
1. Leave Room
If you know you are going to add text to your video then make sure you leave room for it in your frame. Consider standing off to one side instead of directly in front of your camera. You do not want to have to choose between not using text, making your text really small, or placing it over your face.
While planning out your frame and leaving room for your text, consider what color you are going to make the words and whether it will stand out and look good against your background.
2. Bigger is Better
People should be able to read your text without putting in any extra effort, such as straining their eyes to make out small words. If it takes effort to read your text then a lot of people will just ignore it. Your text should be big enough that somebody watching your video on their smartphone screen – where everything is shrunk down – can read it easily.
It is easier to make your text larger when you stick to titles, keywords, and short sentences.
3. Do Not Overuse
Text is a great tool for making something stand out. However, if you try to use text to emphasize too much of what you say it will lose its effect. Text does not stand out anymore once viewers get too used to seeing it. Too much text can even get annoying and cause people to click away from your videos.
Try to use text to emphasize only the most important things you say.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>