Chinese New Year Video Maker - Wondershare Filmora
Provide abundant video effects - A creative video editor
Powerful color correction and grading
Detailed tutorials provided by the official channel
Chinese New Year or lunar new year is also known as Spring Festival – because it starts from the beginning of spring and marks the end of winter, symbolizing the desire for a new life. Chinese New Year is a significant holiday in China.
For the Chinese, the year starts with the lunar new year, not January 1st. The lunar new year 2022 falls on Tuesday, February 1st, with statutory public holidays from January 31st to February 6th, 2022. According to the Chinese Zodiac and Astrology, it is the beginning of the year of the Tiger.
The lunar new year's celebration can be traced back to the worship of heaven and earth in ancient times, but new traditions were added to the celebration over time, such as sending greeting cards. This guide will reveal the best Chinese New Year card ideas for 2022!
Best Chinese New Year Card Ideas
Most Chinese New Year cards have simple wishes and greetings. You can also create your customized cards with a warm and special message.
Many people also add the traditional Chinese New Year greeting in Cantonese, i.e., "gong hei fat choy," meaning "wishing you great happiness and prosperity." A simple "Happy New Year" also works great, and you can write it either in Mandarin, "xin nian kuai le," or in Cantonese, "san nin fai lok."
Now here are the best CNY card ideas for you to try this season:
1. Homemade DIY Chinese New Year Cards
If you have the soul of a craft, doing a handmade card is the way to go. Handmade new year’s cards for your close friends and family will feel super special. After all, handmade cards take all the love and effort to make, and people love that as a gift.
Want More Chinese New Year Gift Ideas?
Here are a few DIY handmade cards for you:
Gong Xi Fa Cai: Chinese New Year Card
- Take three colored papers: Red, White, and Off White.
- Cut the Off-White piece 8¼" x 5¾", two pieces of Red 4" x 5 5/8" and white 3 7/8" x 5½"
- Take a red ink pad and a stamp with any design of your choice and stamp on a plain white sheet.
- Cut out three equal circles of the stamped sheet and draw lines on the circles.
- Now, fold the off-white paper in half to fold it in a card.
- Stick the red-colored piece of paper on the front side of your card and then stick on the white paper on top of it as such to get equal red borders on every side.
- Now stick the three circles on the card's face and use a red marker to draw hooks to make them look like Chinese lanterns.
- Finally, add a piece of string to the hanging lanterns and write 'Gong Xi Fa Cai' on a bow.
5 Minute CNY Handmade Card
- You will need red paper, decorative printed paper, scissors, a glue gun, a silver ribbon, and a gold marker to make this card.
- Fold the paper in half and glue the ribbon at both ends.
- Cut six 2x2 cm squares of the printed paper and fold each side into a cylindrical shape. Glue the ends to form 6 cylinders.
- Now stick the cylinders on the card in the form of a tree, as shown in the picture above.
- Write Happy CNY with the golden marker, and your card is ready!
Die Cutting Lunar New Year Card: Year of the Tiger
- Take a plain back sheet of paper and fold it in half to make it a card.
- Now paint sunset shades on plain paper using coral, orange and yellow. Cut a small piece of this paper to stick on the face of your card.
- Die-cut any design you like in black. For this card, we chose traditional Chinese architecture.
- Now stick the die-cutting on the card.
- Stick a black piece on the card and write "Year of the Tiger" using a glitter pen.
2. Digital DIY Chinese New Year Cards
Nothing says effort like a DIY card. There is just something warm about someone putting in the time and effort to create something just for you. Nowadays, you can use several online tools to create custom DIY New Years' cards. If you don't trust your artistic skills, you can also use free templates to help you.
Pro Tip: Try looking for traditional red designs and tiger prints/images as the new year is the year of the Tiger.
Online tools you can use Chinese New Year Card
As stated earlier, a plethora of online tools and apps can help you create custom digital cards. Let's take a look at the most popular apps for CNY card ideas:
Canva has become a popular design tool over the years. This Australian platform has thousands of templates, stock images, logos, graphics, and more to help you create anything you want. People use Canva for social media graphics, mood boards, presentations, posters, documents, and all types of visual content. It is available for free and paid versions on the desktop app and browser for Windows, Apple, and Linux devices.
Poster My Wall is a new-age design and creation platform that allows users to create fantastic content effortlessly. It is free and comes with premium versions at $9.95/month and $29.95/month. It offers thousands of free templates and effects.
Adobe Illustrator is a widely known illustration and graphics tool. However, it is not suitable for beginners or casual users. The software is complex with a slow learning curve. However, for professional editors and creators, it is one of the best tools out there with everything one would need! It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Moreover, it comes at a high subscription.
3. Video Greetings
Handmade cards and digital printouts are charming but let's face it, they are ordinary. If you want to leave a long-lasting impression, try video greetings. Video wishes and greetings are the new way to be more interactive with your audience. You can record personal messages or create an attractive slideshow with images and stickers to capture their attention.
Moreover, video greetings are easier to share online with friends, family members, relatives, colleagues, and anyone on Whatsapp, social media, email, etc. So, how do you create the best CNY greeting video? The answer is Wondershare Filmora.
Make Chinese New Year Videos Greetings with WonderShare Filmora
WonderShare Filmora is one of the best video-making and editing applications. Want to share your excitement and love for Chinese New Year celebrations?
Use WonderShare Filmora to create attractive recorded messages, greetings, presentations, and videos that you can share with your loved ones. The application is easy to use with amazing features and thousands of free templates. It is a super intuitive platform and gives professional results. Key features of Filmora include:
- Chinese New Year Templates
- 800+ stunning effects
- Text and titles library with beautiful, animated messages
- Music library to add tension, humor, and love in every scene
- Stunning overlays and filters to boost your creativity
- Offers a free trial
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux
CNY Wishes for Friends and Family
People often send wishes for health, happiness, and peace to their friends and family at this time of year. Whether the greetings are in person or on a DIY CNY card, here are some lovely wishes to add:
- "Wishing you love and happiness in the coming year."
- "May this new year bring you good fortune and prosperity."
- "Happy New Year! Wishing You a Bright Future"
- "The Year of the Tiger is Here."
- "Hope this new year brings you good fortune, peace, and prosperity."
- "It's that time of year for feasting, celebrating, and looking forward to a happy and prosperous year ahead. Enjoy every moment!"
- "Thinking of you and your family and wishing you all a year that outshines the rest."
- "Health, wealth, and endless joy is what I wish for you and your family this year."
- "Missing you this new year. Wish you were here."
- "Happy Spring Festival!"
We all lead busy lives currently, so it's easier and faster to write a quick email, send a text or forward an ecard rather than DIY. But it means a lot when someone remembers you and sends you a card made by hand or digitally.
On top of that, sending a Chinese New Year greeting video makes it more special. It is more meaningful to the recipient and more attractive than store-bought cards. Use the CNY card ideas in this guide to create unique, one-of-a-kind cards!