Chinese New Year Video Maker - Wondershare Filmora
Provide abundant video effects - A creative video editor
Powerful color correction and grading
Detailed tutorials provided by the official channel
Chinese New Year is a time for celebration and festivities in China. This festival is a chance for loved ones to gather. It's also an opportunity to provide unique Chinese New Year gifts to your friends and family. If you're looking for some ideas for Chinese New Year gifts for elders, parents, friends, or colleagues, we've got you covered.
These lunar new year gifts ideas are perfect for the different people in your life. The gift you give can depend on how close you are to the person. You can head on to the article below for the perfect Chinese New Year gifts ideas.
In this article
Part 1. Traditional Chinese New Year Gifts
Let's look at a few traditional Chinese New Year gifts that you can give your hosts. It's also perfect for some of the elders in the family. Here are some customary Chinese New Year gifts.
Finding the right blend of tea for the family and giving that as a gift is a thoughtful gesture. Remember to gift them loose leaves rather than bagged tea. Remember to get at least two boxes of tea leaves. You should properly wrap it in red and gold.
A fruit basket is a good idea to show appreciation for your hosts. You can choose to gift them oranges or tangerines. You can also gift them apples. However, pears symbolize parting and should be avoided.
Alcohol is also an appropriate gift for your host. Remember to go for higher-end liquor and to get two bottles at least. This also makes good CNY gifts for inlaws.
Part 2. Chinese New Year Gifts for Parents or Elderly
If you’re looking for Chinese new year gifts for 2022, here are some fool-proof ideas. Let’s dive in.
1. For Parents:
If you're looking for Chinese New Year gifts for parents, then here's what you can do.
Kitchen-Ware: Ceramics, Cookware like frying pans, or high-quality cooking pots are always welcome. Think of quality products your parents will not buy for themselves but would like.
Vitamin Supplements: Vitamin supplements are a great gift idea for your parents as they tend to be health-conscious. Remember to pick a brand with a good reputation as there are many health supplement-related scams.
2. For Elderly:
If you're looking for a CNY gift for the elderly in your life. Then you should consider gifts that make them more comfortable. Here are some suggestions.
Comfort Appliances: A foot spa can be a good gift for senior citizens. You can invest in high-quality massaging products as gifts.
Health Tonics: You can present New Year foods like ginseng, bird's nest, or other food with great health benefits. These health tonics show them you're invested in their continued wellbeing and make great gifts.
Accessories: Scarves, gloves, and mufflers. You can give high-quality clothes made to keep them warm as gifts. Clothes can also be a good idea.
Part 3. Chinese New Year Gifts for Friends
If you're looking for Chinese New Year gifts for friends, then this is the way to go. The first thing to consider is how close the two of you are. Remember to also consider their financial status as they will be expected to reciprocate. Find gifts that can help them keep face.
1. For Boyfriend:
Some common Chinese New Year gifts for a boyfriend are belts, ties, and combs. You can always rely on staples like these for the new year. If you want to take things up a notch, you can always buy branded cologne. You can also buy them interesting electronics like wireless chargers or back massagers.
2. For Girlfriend:
Some popular Chinese New Year gifts for girlfriends are necklaces, accessories like bracelets, or earrings. You can also invest in branded French perfumes or skincare lotions. Face massagers are a popular option for women.
3. For Friends:
You can invest in some ornate Chinese knotwork. If you want to go the traditional route, then you can get them dried, walnut-stuffed dates, or red wine. Chinese New Year gift sets can also be popular for gifts.
Part 4. Chinese New Year Gifts for Boss or Coworker
For those working in a corporate environment and want Chinese New Year corporate gift ideas. You can refer to this section. These Chinese New Year corporate gift ideas are bound to be a hit with your boss and coworkers alike.
1. For The Boss:
If you're looking for the perfect CNY gift for your boss, then this is the way to go. One way to go is by using preprepared Chinese New Year gift sets. Another good Chinese New Year gift for the boss is top shelf baijiu. High-end branded liquor and tobacco cartons are an easy way to show your appreciation. If you're looking for a more traditional gift, then you can buy them premium flowered teas or Abalone dishes.
2. For Coworker:
If you consider CNY gifts for colleagues, the rules are less rigid. You can give your colleagues gifts like chocolates, nuts or candy. Other popular Chinese New Year gifts for coworkers are sparkling wines or chocolate liqueurs.
Part 5. Chinese New Year Gifts for Teacher
To show your appreciation for your teacher's efforts, you can get them thoughtful gifts. These are ideas for Chinese New Year gifts for adults.
You can get your teacher something your home town is known for. If they're slightly cheaper, get them in multiples. Remember to avoid sets of four when gifting. A festive red gift wrapper is important if you want to make a good impression.
Books that your teacher enjoys or recommends in class are a good idea. Make it special by getting hardcover or illustrated editions.
Paintings of classical art are also a good idea for gifts. You don't have to limit yourself to Chinese history. Go global for ideas.
Hobby Related Gifts:
If you know their interests or hobbies, you can get them gifts related to them.
Part 6. Gift Taboo for Chinese New Year
There are some gifts you should avoid when giving gifts. These gifts are taboo because of their associations with misfortune or parting. Let's get into it with this list.
- Wallets: This is seen as you giving away all your money. It should be avoided to help you evade financial misfortune. Wallets are an acceptable gift in your own family, as you share finances.
- Handkerchief: Handkerchiefs are used in funerals, symbolizing saying goodbye forever.
- Dolls: Cloth dolls are believed to attract malicious spirits, so they're not an acceptable gift
- Umbrellas: The word for umbrella sounds like the word for the break-up. If you gift an umbrella, it might signify the end of the relationship.
- Hats: Hats are worn at funerals by mourning children when their parent passes away. So this is an unacceptable gift.
- Black or White: These colors are associated with funerals. It's bad luck to present gifts in either black or white. You can always pick gifts in red, as it's the color of fortune.
- Sharp Objects: They signify the severing of the relationship
- Pears: This fruit represents parting, as the letters for the word pear sounds like the word for goodbye.
- Mirrors: They're said to attract malevolent ghosts, so avoid gifting them.
- Shoes: Shoes sound similar to a word that means ill-luck, so avoid them. Especially avoid gifting your girlfriend shoes, as it's said it means she can walk away from you.
- Cut Flowers: Cut flowers are used as funeral offerings and should be avoided.
Part 7. Tips for Chinese New Year
Here's what we are learning through our Chinese New Year gift ideas 2021. More than the gift itself, the etiquette around gift-giving is important. Follow these rules if you're looking for Chinese New Year gift ideas for neighbors, inlaws, or friends.
- Gifts should be in red, gold or yellow. They're said to be fortunate colors.
- Avoid unlucky meanings from the gift taboo lists above.
- Always buy gifts in even numbers. Even in even numbers, avoid sets of four, as it can represent 'death' in Chinese culture. Eight is a lucky number.
- Another thing to do is to get rid of the price tag. Leaving it on shows that you expect a gift of similar value in return.
- Give your gifts with both hands to be respectful.
- If you're giving money, avoid old notes and give crisp bills.
- Start gift-giving from the eldest member.
- Don't open the gift in front of the gift giver.
This was an extensive list of gift ideas for the important people in your life. These Chinese New Year gifts are perfect for your friends, family, or coworkers. Celebrating Chinese New Year with your loved ones makes it more meaningful. Finding the right gift can seem like a challenge. We've made it easy for you to find the right gift with the article above.
Remember to consider how close you are to the person you're gifting. This can help you make thoughtful lunar new year gifts. We hope this article helped you find the right gift for the year of the tiger.