How to make a cool video? Besides creativities, you may also need a video editing software which allows you to add some cool video effects. Actually it's much simpler than you might expect if you use cool video editor like Wondershare Filmora, which enables you to easily trim videos, add voice narration or a music sound track from your personal collection and add cool effects and give your plain old home videos the extra touch that makes them more special. In this article, we will introduce some cool video effects that you can use in Filmora as well as the step-by-step guide about how to add cool effects to videos for making a cool edit.
Part 1: Introducing 5 cool effects that you may be interested in:
1. Mask: Filmora allows you add various image masks and shape mask to the image and video in the timeline, which will create a special effect. You can always add Mask effect to media when creating PIP videos.
2. Green Screen Effect: Green screen or chroma keying feature is used to key out colors from a subject of a photo or video and composite two images or videos together based on color chroma range.
3. Transition Effect: Transition video effect is used to be more visual and obvious when playing back one scene to another. Namely, it is what the scene showing between two clips. Filmora provides more than 200 transition effects, including the basic fade, bar, ripple & dissolve, 3D and slideshow transitions, you can also find the transition effects for special events such as birthday and wedding.
4. Overlays: A video overlay refers to an image or an animated video that appears over the background video. Filmora provides more than 110 overlays including frame overlay, bokeh blurs overlay, lens flares, old film, damaged film, TV static, and view finder overlays.
5. Filters: Filmora has a great collection of video filter effects and there are about 150 filters in it, including camera shake, distortion, Lomography, background blur, faux film and Instagram-like filters.
Besides these common cool video effects, Filmora Effects Store offers more possibilities. There are packs, sets and bundles covering gaming, media, beauty and fashion, action cam, education, lifestyle, VFX and special event. Check the blockbuster video effects video below to check how it works.
Part 2: How to Add Cool Effects to Videos in Filmora [Tutorial]
With Filmora, you can also add some cool effects conveniently to improve your video with ease. After several clicks, your video will turn out to be a stunning masterpiece which is really fantastic to share with your family and friends on YouTube or Facebook. Now follow this step-by-step guide on how to edit videos with this cool software.
1 Import your videos
Install and launch Wondershare Filmora. Click New Project and then click the “Import” button to load your media files through its navigation import panel or directly drag and drop your files to the media library.
2 Add cool effects to your video
Now it's time to add cool effects to your video. Just drop the video and audio files from the media library to the corresponding timelines. Then click the “Effect” button in the toolbar to switch to the “Effect” tab. Here you will see filters and overlays effects for you to choose.
To add transitions between two clips, or add an overlay or filter video effect to video, just go to the corresponding tab and drag and drop the target video effects to videos.
You can also right click your favorite effect and select apply. You will see the “Effect” Timeline appear below the video track. If you want to increase the effect duration, just mouse over the edge of the effect in timeline, and when the "double arrow" cursor appears, drag it to any length you want.
For steps of compositing a green screen video, check this video tutorial below:
Besides that, you can add more cool effects provided by Video Editor. Just highlight the target media file, then go to Effects Tab. Yu can select and apply more cool effects like Tilt-Shift, Mosaic, and Face Off under Utitliy filters. These effects will help you turn your video clip into a work of art.
3 Export your videos
You can preview and watch your video by clicking the “Play” button before you export it. Go back and make some necessary adjustments. Then you can save and export the video to your computer in the “Format” tab. If you want to play video on mobile devices, go to the “Devices” tab and choose a device from the list. Of course, you can also directly burn it to DVD or post on YouTube or Vimeo.
Filmora features more than 300 video effects, elements and motion effects and 100+ text and title styles to choose. Besides adding cool video effects to video clips, you can also reverse, speed up or slow down the video to make a cool effect. You can also choose music sound from the built in music library and do some audio editing with the Audio Mixer or Audio Equalizer tool.
As one of the best and easiest video editing software which comes with cool effects, Filmora can empower your imagination. Download this cool video editor with various effects and try it yourself!
Liza Brown is a writer and a lover of all things video.
Follow @Liza Brown
Thank you for your comment. We will review it within few days.