Many people use MKV files as it's an open-source format and does not require licenses. This file format functions as a multimedia file container that can help you in storing audio and video tracks. However, there are some key disadvantages of using MKV files, as this format is not supported by various platforms or devices. So, the most suitable video file formats that you can use are FLV and MP4. These two formats offer high-quality results and are supported by multiple platforms.
If you still want to use MKV files and want to add subtitles, this article can assist you. By reading this article, you can learn how to add subtitles to MKV with different methods.
In this article
Part 1: How to Add Subtitles to MKV on Windows?
Are you a Windows user and want to add subtitles to MKV? Read this section to find out compatible tools that can add subtitles to your MKV videos efficiently.
Wondershare Filmora is a popular tool that provides you with multiple options to edit video files. If you are interested in adding subtitles to your MKV files, you can navigate to its "Speech-to-Text" feature. This feature automatically transcribes the voice used in the video into subtitles. It supports 16 different languages for creating subtitles through this feature.
This feature can also enhance your editing efficiency as you don't have to write the subtitles on your own. Moreover, the STT feature utilizes advanced algorithms that help the tool create subtitles with high precision. Furthermore, you can also manually add the subtitles to your MKV file using this MKV subtitle editor.
- Filmora offers various effects, such as a green screen that can help you to change your background dramatically.
- If you want to resize your videos efficiently, this tool provides the Auto Reframe feature.
- Filmora also offers various preset templates that can help you to craft captivating videos easily.
Step-by-Step Guide to Add Subtitles Using Filmora
Step1 Create a New Filmora Project.
Download and install Filmora on your PC and click "Create Project." Afterward, import the MKV video from your PC to this tool by clicking on the "Arrow" icon.
Step2 Go to Titles Tab.
After importing the video, drag it to the timeline. Once done, click on the "Titles" section given on top. Afterward, click on "Subtitles" from the left section. Now you will be able to see different types of subtitles on your screen. Select your favorite style of subtitles and tap on its "Download" icon.
Step3 Choose the Preferred Subtitle Style.
After that, tap on the "Plus" icon to add your selected subtitle style to the timeline. Double-click on the added subtitles, which will open the settings. You can manually add the subtitles on the "Input Text" box easily. Moreover, you can easily change the text font, color, opacity, and alignment.
Step4 Export and Save Video.
Once you have created subtitles for your imported video, click the "Export" button on top. Using this option, you can save the video file to your device or share it on other platforms.
Cisdem is an efficient tool that can be used by content creators for various purposes. Along with editing the videos, this tool can help you add subtitles to your video files in any format. It supports various formats for adding subtitles, such as MKV, MP4, AVI, etc. This tool also offers a built-in editor to modify the MKV videos flawlessly. Hence, it's a basic tool that generates quality results instantly.
- Cisdem can function as a video converter that supports more than 300 file formats. You can convert to and from MKV files using this platform easily.
- Through this software, you can professionally add watermarks to your MKV files. It provides various options to add a customized watermark to your desired video files.
- It offers a built-in media player that allows you to play and watch MKV files without interruption.
Steps to Add Subtitles to MKV Using Cisdem Video Converter
Step1 Launch the Cisdem tool on your system and navigate to its "Converter". Afterward, import the MKV file instantly. Now tap on the "Pencil" icon given on top to open the editing window.
Step2 From the editing window, go to "Subtitle and Audio" and click on "No subtitles." From the drop-down box, click on "Load Subtitles" to upload your SRT or ASS subtitle file from your system.
Step3 Now press the "Save" button to proceed. As the default output format in this tool is MP4, navigate to the "General Video" section to change it. From this option, select "MKV Video" as the output format. Afterward, hit the "Convert" button to embed the added subtitles easily.
The VLC Media Player is a commonly used platform that offers various functions. It can be easily accessed and shows compatibility with tons of platforms. It has a simple interface that allows you to operate it easily. Through this tool, you can also add subtitles to MKV proficiently. This MKV subtitle editor supports various caption formats such as VobSub, SubRip, SubViewer, etc.
- While watching a video on the VLC media player, you can take instant snapshots of your favorite moments in high resolution.
- This tool offers a screen recorder through which you can capture your activities on a desktop. You can also choose the frame rate and output format for your screen recording.
- You can enhance your video files by adding effects from this tool. Along with applying attractive video effects, you can also change the brightness and hue of your video.
Step-by-Step Guide to Add Subtitles Using VLC
Step1 Open your VLC media player and click on the "Media" tab given on top. From there, tap on the "Convert/Save" option.
Step2 A new dialogue box will open regarding "Open Media." Now you can instantly upload your MKV file on this tool. By staying on the same window, check the box saying, "Use a subtitle file." Afterward, browse the SRT file from your computer.
Step3 Now tap on the "Convert/Save" arrowhead and choose the "Convert" option from the drop-down menu. A new window will open from where you have to tap on the "Wretch" icon. On the "Encapsulation" section, select "MKV."
Step4 By going to the "Audio codec" and "Video codec" sections, check the box "keep original video or audio track." Now go to the "Subtitle" section and enable the option of "Overlay subtitles on the video." Once done, hit the "Create" button.
Part 2: How to Add Subtitles to MKV on Mac?
Are you looking for MKV subtitle editors that are compatible with Mac? In this section, you can learn how to add subtitles to MKV on your Mac devices easily.
This tool is highly compatible with Mac users and provides tons of advanced features. Besides being a great video editor, this tool can help you add subtitles to your MKV video files. It supports popular subtitle formats such as ASS, SSA, and SRT. If you want to embed hardcode subtitles into your MKV files, this is the most compatible tool.
- If you want to decrease the video file size without harming its high quality, you can use this platform. This tool offers a video compressor through which you can reduce file sizes effectively.
- To combine your various video chunks or clips, this software offers a reliable video merger.
- If you are facing audio problems in your video, this tool can permanently adjust the volume according to your preference.
Step-by-Step Guide to Add Subtitles Using HD Video Converter Deluxe
Step1 Start by launching HD Video Converter Deluxe on your MacBook. Afterward, tap on the "+Video" button to import your MKV file.
Step2 On the Output Profile window, choose "MKV" as your output format. Click on the "OK" button to proceed. Now navigate to the "Edit" tab and select "Subtitle." From there, check "Enable Subtitle." Also, check "Extra" and then click on the "Add" button. Now you can import the subtitle file to this tool.
Step3 Click the "Done" button and then hit the "RUN" button to embed the subtitles.
UniConverter is one of the famous tools that many people prefer due to its high reliability. Among its various advanced features, you can use its "Subtitle Editor" to add subtitles to MKV videos. You can create subtitles manually in your preferred font. Moreover, it provides an auto generator to create subtitles by extracting audio from the video file. This feature supports more than 100 languages to offer more diversity.
- The MKV subtitle editor of UniConverter is also capable of converting text into subtitle lines through its TXT to SRT feature.
- You can remove backgrounds from your video and add a new one with a few clicks. This can make your video more captivating.
- It offers a vocal remover that can separate instrumental sounds and vocals from an audio or video file easily.
Step-by-Step Guide to Use the Subtitle Editor of UniConverter
Step1 Run UniConverter on your PC and click on "Subtitle Editor" from its homepage. A new window will open in which you have to import the MKV video file.
Step2 You can click on the "Manual Subtitles" button to add your subtitles with respect to the time duration. Or, you can tap on 'Import Subtitles' to upload the subtitles file from your MacBook. Other options are also available such as Text to Subtitles and Auto Subtitles.
Step3 You can edit the added subtitles by going to the "Styles" section. Here, you can change the font, color, and style of your subtitles. Once done, click on the "Save" button.
Part 3: How to Add Subtitles to MKV Online?
If you want to use online platforms to merge subtitles with MKV, here are the top two online tools.
Veed is an easy-to-use online tool that allows you to edit your video clips with high accuracy. Through this online tool, you can add subtitles to your MKV files in 3 different ways. You can upload subtitle files in formats like VVT, TXT, SSA, SRT, and ASS. Otherwise, you can enter the subtitles manually by selecting their color, font, size, and time duration. Moreover, you can use its voice recognition software to auto-create subtitles instantly.
- To make your video clips funny and engaging, this tool enables you to add various emojis and stickers to your video files.
- You can explain the content in your video by adding annotations such as text boxes using this tool.
- To remove unwanted objects from your video, you can use the crop feature of Veed.
Step-by-Step Guide to Add Subtitles Using Veed
Step1 Access the official website of Veed and click on "Add Subtitles To video" from its tools. Afterward, click the "Choose Files" button and import your MKV file.
Step2 Once done with uploading, click on "Upload Subtitle File." You can upload any of its supported subtitle files. Also, choose the language from the given box.
Step3 After importing the subtitles, you can modify them by altering their text color, color effect, style, and alignment. Once done, hit the "Export" button.
Do you want an interesting tool to create subtitles? Flixier is an efficient online tool that can edit your video and audio files. Without making a user account, you can use this tool to add subtitles to MKV video files. You can upload MKV files from different platforms, such as your device, Google Drive, Zoom, Dropbox, etc. This tool also provides different ways to flawlessly create subtitles for your video files.
- The subtitle editor of this tool offers more than 1000 fonts. Thus, you can make your subtitles look stylish by choosing a preferred font.
- To edit your videos, this tool allows you to collaborate with your friends in real-time.
- It offers more than 50 transitions that you can apply to your videos easily.
Step-by-Step Guide to Add Subtitles Using Flixier
Step1 Visit the website of Flixier and click on "Add subtitles to your videos" from its tools. Afterward, tap on "Get Started" to proceed. The tool will ask you to upload your video file.
Step2 Once you have uploaded the MKV video, click on "Text" given on the left side. Afterward, tap "Add Subtitle" to create subtitles for your video. You can add text to the given space to create subtitles. You can also tap on the "Import Subtitle" button to upload the subtitle file. To change the properties of your subtitles, you can edit them from the provided options on your screen.
Step3 Once done with creating and adjusting subtitles, click on the "Export" button.
Subtitles are shown at the bottom of a video and help make the video content comprehensive. If you are dealing with MKV files and want to add subtitles in an instant way, this article has provided all the details. By reading this guide, you can learn how to add subtitles to MKV files on different platforms.
To attain the best results and utilize advanced features, we will highly recommend you use Wondershare Filmora. This tool creates a comfortable environment and gives an intuitive interface to create subtitles.