Want to add selective blur to make everything look smaller? Don't have any idea how to focus on specific mini-things? Then don't worry! In this article, you'll get a step-by-step process to add miniature effects to your video. At the end of the process, you'll have cinematic shots. Then start with us now! Scroll more to get pro tips!
What Is a Miniature Effect?
But first, let's learn the logic of making the miniature effect. As many video editing pros present on Tiktok, the miniature effect is a fun way to brighten up your photography or video shots. For example, when taking a video or a time-lapse of a landscape, we always have a bigger depth of field, so most objects in the frame are in focus.
However, when we film a miniature model, the depth of field is shallow. So, we only see some objects in focus, and the rest is blurry. This visual trick makes our brain believe that the big landscape we're seeing is actually a tiny model.
To create a miniature look, we can use specific effects to fake a shallow depth of field, and then the landscape view will look like a tiny model. While some keys to notice before making the miniature effect are:
- It utilizes selective blur to make things appear like small
- The miniature effect works best for footage filmed from a high angle.
- The tiny effect is usually used in drone footage, time lapses, or landscape photography.
Are you all set to add miniature effects to your video and make film-like shots? Then scroll more and get the step-by-step process.
How to Make a Miniature effect?
You are excited to add a miniature effect, and enjoy the rest! Without any further delay, follow the below instructions and get results!
Step1 Download the Wondershare Filmora
- First of all, you have to download the Wondershare Filmora.
- It's packed with new features and effects plugins that make editing more filmy and fun!
Step2 Choose any stock footage
If you don't have good-quality footage, but want to boost your video, here is how. You can get the miniature effect without a big format view camera or specialized lens.
- Open Filmora and select any stock footage in Wondershare Filmora.
Move to the stock media folder on the above bar in the Wondershare Filmora. Or you can look towards the left window, where you will see the sample videos tab.
- Click on the sample videos tab, and a new window will appear on the library screen.
Here you will see almost more than 20 videos. So, instead of using the actual recorded footage, we'll make do with what we have by default. After selecting and adding the stock footage of your choice. Then you have to follow the below process:
- First, hold the Stock Footage as shown in the folder section.
- Then Drag and Drop it to the timeline section for further editing.
Who will get Stock Media?
Want to get stock media? You can only have access to the stock media library if you already buy the license of Wondershare Filmora.
- The latest version has an unlimited stock library.
- After purchasing any plan, you can access Stock Media (Unsplash, Giphy, Pixabay, Pixel).
Step3 Head to the effect panel
As we are working on miniature effects, what do we need first? First, we ensure that we have a Blur effect on the video.
To add a blur effect from the panel, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First of all, move toward the above tabs.
- Then click on the 5th section, which is Effect
- After selecting the effect tab, a new window will pop up.
- In this section, we have 500+ different effects.
- Then, click on the search bar.
- Search for the Blur effect.
- After that, click on the Blur 2
- Then Download this effect if you haven't done this already.
Step4 Add the blur effect to the video
After selecting and downloading the blur effect, it's time to add it to the video. Again, see how precise it turned out. To add effect, follow below steps:
- First, drag and Drop the effect toward the timeline.
- Then, make sure to release the effect on the video to give it a lens blur appearance.
Step5 Add the effect multiple times
Want to get an ideal blur level? If you need more blur level in your video and make it more cinematic, then follow the below steps:
- First, ensure that the opacity of the blur effect is 100%.
- Then, if you still want more blurriness, add Blur 2 effect multiple times on the video.
- Finally, add effect by just the Drag and Drop
Step6 Drop the same video clip
- Add the same video clip 2nd time on the timeline.
- Add it by just the Drag and Drop
- Make sure you add it to 2nd video track in the timeline above the first one.
Step7 Add masks on the Video
Now, it's time to select a specific video portion and add a mask. Due to this, we will have a selective blur portion. For this, follow the below guidelines:
- Double-click on the video present in 2nd track.
- The settings tab will be open in the top left section.
- Then find the Mask section and click on it.
- After this, click on the Double-line.
- Set the mask on video according to your style and choice.
Watch the rotating and adjusting actions as shown below!
For example, when we add a mask in the below time-lapse video, follow the above mask adjustments. Unfortunately, we can't get good results. Therefore, we will apply another way to add a mask by changing shape and position. Follow the instructions for modifications:
- Make a building or any object Blurry near the camera because it is not present within the depth of field.
- While the object is far from the camera, it is focused because it is in the depth of the field.
- Then adjust the mask, as per your choice.
Want to change the shape of the mask? Then follow the below steps:
- Double-click on the video present in 2nd video track.
- Settings will activate on the top left side.
- Then click on the Mask tab to open it.
- Select the Rectangular mask from the list and apply it.
Now, it's time to mask the whole object, which is far, but we want to make it in focus! For this, follow these steps:
- Add the same stock video clip a third time on the third video track of the timeline.
- Then add a mask in a Rectangle shape on the building.
- Don't blur the edge of this mask.
Step8 Final Look
You are excited now to see the final look of your miniature effect! Finally, it's in front of you! Just modify it more if you want to make it more precise.
Have you tried to add a miniature effect before? If yes, then share your experience with us! Try with more mask shapes and add more blur effects. Make sure that you are using Wondershare Filmora to make more filmy shots. Feel free to try out different effects and enjoy the following results!