People these days are spending much time of action camera shooting as it can provide impressive footage. But the sad part is that audio signal suffers with distortion when mics are connected through protective cases. Moreover, waterproof cases never even allow access to mic ports directly. In such cases, we need to buy additional protective cases or frames that can allow easy connectivity with audio ports. As latest designs of GoPro does not possess audio jack so in that case you need microphone adapter to capture sound without distortion. Below are few details about some of the best microphones that can be used with Action Cameras to achieve improvement over sound quality.
External Microphones for Action Camera:
Section 1: Category of Microphones
typically, there are two types of microphones, one is the lavalier mic, and the other is shotgun mic. Lavalier mics often come in cardioid and omni-directional configuration, and are suitable for wide variety of applications. They are small in size and can be easily attached to clothing while keeping hands free. These mics are also called as tie-clip mics or lapel mics. Lavalier mics are most suitable for voice that is in close proximity whereas they cannot be used for ambient music.
On the other side, shotgun mics are developed to serve medium angle shots with impressive results. They assists in better focusing while avoiding the off axis noise and improve performance with its tight polar pattern. These mics can be easily used for outdoor shooting needs as they can resist against wind.
Section 2: Best External Microphones for Action Camera:
Shotgun Microphones for GoPro:
1. Rode VideoMic Pro Compact VMP Shotgun Microphone:
This is a high-end, lightweight and easy to use shotgun microphone model. This 9V mic can provides services up to 70 hours with stunning audio quality. A 3 way control switch assists in selection for ambient noise reduction with settings leading to +20dB, 0dB and -10dB. It can be used in two modes: without any filter and with hi pass filter that can cut frequency less than 80Hz.
- Price: $229
- Power: 9V Battery
- Best uses: Interviews, Sporting Events and Dialogue to Camera.
- Included accessories: Windshield.
2. Sennheiser MKE 400 Shotgun Microphone:
Here is an amazing first person head mount for POVs that can be worn with double or single strap option. It can be perfectly placed in helmets with portable and light weight design. This product is waterproof and slip proof making it stay fit for all adverse conditions.
- Price: $199.00
- Power: 1.5V AAA Battery
- Best uses: Interviews and Sporting Events.
- Included accessories: Windshield.
3. Rode Video Mic GoShotgun Microphone:
This is a lightweight and compact design that can deliver directional audio signals with crisp and clear details. It can avoid the surrounding noise and the integrated Rycote Lyre Shock mount assists in protection from vibrations and bumps.
- Price: $99.00
- Power: Supplied by Camera
- Best uses: Interview, Music, Ambient Audio, Sporting events and dialogue.
- Included accessories: Windshield, TRS patch cable
- Cable Length: 3.5mm
4. Removu RM-M1+A1 Wireless Microphone for GoPro:
This mic can cover the maximum distance of 40 yards with crisp details. It makes use of latest Bluetooth technology that assists in long distance recording with finer results. The integrated waterproof housing provides better protection under water. The model consists of a receiver and a microphone where separate batteries are required for both ends.
- Price: $84.99
- Power: Lithium Ion battery with 6 hours backup.
- Best uses: Sporting events and other long distance recording application.
- Included accessories: Waterproof housing and Mini USB connector.
- Compatibility: GoPro Hero4, Hero3 and Hero3+.
5. Opteka VM- 100Shotgun Microphone:
This shotgun mic is designed to fix perfectly on hotshoe DSLR that can capture sound perfectly even from noisy places but the sharp pop noise can leave little disturbance in signal. Opteka shotgun mics are designed with Noise Reducing advanced Suspension System and have directional properties.
- Price: $55.95
- Power: 9V Lithium or Alkaline that can serve up to 100 hours.
- Best uses: Sporting events, dialogues at camera.
- Included accessories: Indoor and outdoor windscreen, shock mountone year warranty, extra suspension bands and user guide.
- Compatibility: Camcorders and Digital SLR cameras.
6. Polar Pro For GoPro Hero Cameras Promic Kit:
It is a great choice for beginners that doesn’t even require batteries and can be directly plugged in to camera. The wind noise is effectively removed with its specially designed wind screen and right angle adapter. Polar pro is better option for windy areas with its small price tag and efficient recording system.
- Price: $29.99
- Power: Not required.
- Best uses: Concerts, Motorsports and Interviews.
- Included accessories: Windscreen, Mini USB adapter and right angle adapter.
- Compatibility: GoPro Hero3+, Hero3, Hero4 and Hero2.
Lavalier Microphones for GoPro:
7. Edutige Uni-Directional Microphone ETM-008:
ETM-008 is a specially designed unidirectional electret condenser type microphone that can provide S/N ratio of 69dB. This product is perfect for recording audio in windy conditions.
- Price: $67.00
- Power: Batteries not required, possess plug-in power capability.
- Best uses: Outdoors, Independent Film, inside car and Interviews.
- Included accessories: Cable, lapel clip, 3 pin connector, foam windscreen and 3.5mm jack plug.
- Cable Length: 1.3 meter or 4.3 foot.
- Compatibility: GoPro Hero3, Hero3, laptops, PCs (Skype calls), DSLR cameras, Camcorders, Digital Voice recorders and MP3 players.
8. Vidpro XM-G10 Professional Lavalier Omni-Directional Condenser Microphone:
This advanced Omni directional condenser mic can be directly plugged in to GoPro device without any additional adapter. The foam windscreen assists in wind noise and ambient noise elimination.
- Price: $26.94
- Power: LR-44 Button battery that can serve up to 700 hours.
- Best uses: Interviews or voice recording.
- Included accessories: Compatible USB adapter, LR-44 Button battery, foam windscreen and lapel clip.
- Cable Length: 20 foot long cable.
- Compatibility: GoPro HD Hero, Hero4 Black, Hero4 Silver, Hero Plus, Hero3.
9. Sony ECMCS3 Clip Style Omni Directional Stereo Microphone:
This mic rotates in flexible fashion while providing perfect results for louder and richer vocals. Clip can be used for better placement and it is also suggested for mounting on helmets. There are no batteries for replacement.
- Price: $17.63
- Best uses: Recording VO, Lectures, MotoVlogging, Vlogging and indoor close proximity usage.
- Cable Length: 1 meter.
10. Movo GM100 Lavalier Clip-on Omni directional Microphone:
This product offers utility and mobility with impressive audio quality. The windscreen helps to avoid external noise in perfect manner whereas initial setup is very simple for this device. It helps to synchronise video and audio in much better manner as compared to competitors.
- Price: $14.95
- Power: Not Required
- Best uses: Dictations, Podcasts and Interviews.
- Included accessories: Wind Muff, Mini USB connector and Wind Screen.
- Cable Length: 1.2m
- Compatibility: GoPro Hero3, Hero4 and Hero3+ black, silver and white editions.
There is no doubt to say that you can find huge varieties of microphones in market for GoPro devices. But your selection must be fare and careful. A good quality microphone offers decent functionality with impressive audio quality. Some of these products allow Bluetooth connectivity so that audio signals can be recorded from distance places whereas others are connected through wires. You can easily pick any design out of all discussed above as per your budget and needs. All these products can be ordered from Amazon at decent price range.
If you find there is some noise in your video, we recommend you to try Wondershare Filmora to denoise. It is very simple to denoise in Fimora, just click the Audio Denoise and Filmora will do the rest for you. Watch the video below to check what Filmora can do for you.