- • Complete MP4 video editing guide
- 1. MP4 video editing tools for Windows
- See more
- 2. MP4 video editing tools for Mac
- 2.1 MP4 cropper for Mac
- 2.2 MP4 splitter for Mac
- 2.3 MP4 joiner for Mac
- 2.4 MP4 trimmer for Mac
- 2.5 MP4 editor for Mac
- 2.6 MP4 to MP3 converter for Mac
- 3. MP4 video editing tips
- See more
MP4 Trimmer Mac: Best ways to trim MP4 videos on Mac
“Video trimming: What is the easiest and cheapest way to trim a few minutes from an MP4 film on Mac computer? I downloaded an MP4 video from the net but would like to cut a few scenes off. I’ve tried to use iMovie for this task but when I export the film it takes like eternity to get the result. I was wondering if it’s not just doing the simple trimming work but re-generating the whole MP4 video again. Can you please recommend any other free or low-budget tools on Mac OS X to do this quickly? “
As MP4 is a compressed video format, it usually takes extra time for iMovie to uncompress the video first and then transcode it to some format that is workable for iMovie. That’s the reason why it takes us much more time than we imagine getting a video trimmed. In this article, we are going to go over the best video trimming tool we can rely on to trim MP4 videos on Mac: Wondershare Filmroa for Mac(Originally Wondershare Filmroa for Mac(Originally Wondershare Video Editor for Mac)), which will take you the least amount of time and offers you pretty much all other basic functionalities you will need to finish your project.
Part 1 What is Wondershare Filmora for Mac and why it’s the best MP4 trimmer for Mac OS X
WUnlike Windows users, there aren’t many available choices left for Mac users to consider when it comes to choose a proper MP4 trimming application. Among all those available programs, some of them are high-end packages which are more for professional-level users. As average customers, we may not need all those hard-core editing features, but just some basic ones that can help complete our task with the least time and no extra budget or low budget. So it’s best to consider the following things before we start our search for the right tools:
- Free or paid: there are some small free MP4 trimmer software available, with just the trimming function or very few more extra functions. Cons are that free programs often rely on annoying ads or other ways to make profit from installations. So be careful not to let it change the default settings of your browser and system.
- Easy-to-use: Does the program require lots of investment of time to learn to use it? Generally, if you are a newbie, the easier to use, the best.
- Formats supported: each program may have a list of supported formats, free ones usually support 4 to 5 types of popular formats and paid programs often cover a vast range of video formats. If the video you are working on has a rare format, then you will have to pay special attention to this.
- Functions: Does your project only require trimming? Or besides a simple MP4 trimmer, you may also need tools to join the split scenes together, crop blanked areas, add some audio effects or voiceovers, adjust the video speed etc,. even want to apply some special effects such as a split screen, overlay or filter effect, transiton effect etc. to add a touch to your video? If your answer is yes to this one, then you’d better look for an all-in-one software than just a simple MP4 trimmer running on Mac.
Taking all these factors into consideration, Wondershare video Editor for mac is our most recommended software for this purpose. With an intuitive simple interface, affordable budget (free unlimited trial version is available for everyone to download), a multitude of supported video formats, and the ability to do both simple editing and advanced editing, Wondershare has long been an favorite in video editing. Check out the video below to get an overview of the cool features of this best film trimming tool for Mac:
Part 2 How to Trim MP4 videos using Wondershare Trimming package for Mac
Let’s take a look at how to trim films in .mp4 format using wondershare video editor for Mac.
Step1: Open the MP4 clip you would like to trim using Wondershare(Besides MP4, it also supports many other video formats such as .mov, .flv, .avi, .mkv and more, check out a full supported list here).
Step2: Drag the MP4 video to the video track on timeline for trimming. After that, move the slider to the beginning point and the end point of your video clip, when you see an icon like this: just drag your cursor to trim the video as you wanted. This will enable you to trim either the beginning part or the ending part.
If you want to remove a part from the middle, just use the split feature. Drag the split maker to the starting point of your unwanted scenes, and then click the scissor button to first separate your videos into two parts. When done, drag it to the end of the unnecessary part likewise. Click the scissor button again. Choose the middle part and click the delete icon.
Step3. Export and save.
Download a free trial version of Wondershare to trim unwanted areas from your MP4 video now:
Part 3: Recommended - Filmora Online Video Trimmer
If you want to have an online solution, Filmora video trimmer is a free online tool that can help you trim video instantly. You can upload your video from computer and video link with drag-and-drop. It is easy to use with the slider or just input specific start and end times for precise trim. It also supports various importing and exporting video format, including .mp4, .mov, .wemb, .mpeg, .flv. More importantly, the exported video is free of watermark. It is definitely worth a try!
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>