- Green Screen Tutorial
- 1.1 How to make and use a green screen
- 1.2 How to shoot a green screen video
- 1.3 Watch youtube green screen videos and inspire your own green screen ideas
- 1.4 Ressources for green screen effects
- 1.5 Best green screen editors
- 1.6 Which green screen software for mac to choose?
- 1.7 Ressources for green screen footage and green screen backgrounds
- 1.8 Top 5 Free Green Screen Software
Top 10 Free Green Screen Software You Need to Know
Nowadays various professional video editing tools which provide amazing effects and abilities like green screen are available on the market. But these video editing tools can be too expensive and not very user-friendly, and have a steep learning curves. For example, Adobe Premiere has the Chroma keying feature, but you have to pay $19.99/month if you billed annually and take some time to figure it out how to use a green screen overlay video.
If you just want to edit some home movies, those programs will not very helpful for you. In this case, we have picked up 10 free and simple video editing software which also have advanced editing features including chroma keying or green screen. In the end, we will also have a bonus video about how to make green screen video.
Recommended Green Screen Video Editor - Wondershare Filmora9
If you are looking for a more powerful green screen video editor, we recommend you to try Wondershare Filmora9 (Latest Filmora version 9). As one of the best video editor with Chroma key feature for beginners, making a video with green screen is easy. You can also combine green screen with free video effects to make your video more amazing. You can download Filmora9 green screen video editing software on both Windows and Mac computer.
How to make green screen easily
Import clips: You just need to import both the green screen background video or image and your main videos. Then place the videos on video timeline, and green screen video/image on the other timeline. Highlight the green screen clip, and then double click on the green screen clip in the timeline. Then video editing panel will appear at top.
Make green screen: Click Chroma Key. Use eyedropper tool to pick up your background color. Then you'll get what you want. You can also adjust offset, tolerance and edge feather to make it better.
It is easy to make green screen video with the steps above. Now download this software and try to make your own green screen video now!
Top 10 Free Green Screen Video Editing Software [Windows/Mac/Linux)
As we said in last part, Filmora9 video editor is a good choice for green screen video compositing. But if you still don’t believe the benefits of using Filmora9 to do that, we have made a video about best 3 free green screen software for windows and mac briefly. Watch it and let me know your opinion.
Debugmode Wax is a simple video editor for both commercial and personal use. It provides all-around special effects which enable users to produce dynamic pieces of video. These effects include chroma key composting and 3d effects. Another great feature is that Wax can either be used as a standalone green screen software or as a plugin to assist your main video editor software in applying effects.
Note: Wax can only works on Windows operating system (Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista).
- 2D and 3D Plugins to create green screen effects
- Suports popular video formats.
- Graphics acceleration is powerful
- You can draw shapes and masks in a keyframmable way
- Enables you to import 3d models
- Support 3D text to highlight your video
- Its interface is outdated
VSDC Free Video Editor is a capable green screen software with plenty of functionality like drawing and selection tools, plenty of color and lighting corrections, some useful filters, transitions, audio effects and more. It's also one of the very few freeware video editor programs that has green screen editing capability. Also, you can only use it in Windows computer to compositing a green screen video.
- It is a professional green screen editor
- You will have steep learning curve
- This program is small
- You can make green screen video by importing material
- Create shaped masks to make PIP video
- Advanced functions may let users feel confused
Virualdub is free and open source green screen editing software designed for fast processing and versatility. It’s not as powerful as professional video editing programs but helps you deal with the basic video editing like swap audio tracks, add filters, trim clips and adjust audio. It also includes a basic green screen option, although it is not as powerful as many other software titles.
- You can add plug in to make green screen video
- It is stable to use
- Its compatibility is excellent for users
- Support various formats to make green screen video
- This green screen editor is too simple for pros
iMovie comes with every new Mac which helps bring your moving images together into one professional looking production. Besides the basic video editing functions like crop, rotate, trim, split, ect, it also provides a simplistic timeline, built-in sound and animations and various easy-to-use effects including green screen effect. Here is a detailed guide on how to apply green screen effect.
- It is a popular green screen editor in Mac
- You can use it on iPhone, which means your work is cross platform
- It is easy to use as a green screen software
- Make animated titles and credits from iMovie
- It demands high version of OS
ZS4 Video Editor is the new incarnation of Zwei-Stein green screen editor. It’s an advanced video editing and compositing tool with over 150 built-in video effects including excellent color and chroma key. You can also customize the width and height of the output video, add unlimited tracks and sub-composites, slave effects, compose controls to audio wave forms and more.
- It is an advanced video editing software
- Its interface is friendly to use
- It has more than 150 video effects
- Powerful effects and compositing controls
- It doesn't support Quicktime formats
Lightworks is a free green screen editor. It is a renowned editor for 25 years. This chroma key software will let you create green screen video with advanced features. If you have some experince in video editing, then Lightworks is a not bad choice. You can use audio & video FX to maker your green screen video more attractive. More than green screen, you can use proxy workflows for 4K.
- It is a professional and powerful green screen editor
- It is an awarded editor
- It is designed for filmmakers
- Directly upload video to YouTube, even 4K video
- Easy to use timeline editing
- It is not friendly for beginners
OpenShot is a free and open source chroma key/green screen software. It supports FreeBSD, Linux, Mac and Windows, and it is cross platform. You can quickly and easily make green screen video with it. You can can combine 3D animation with chroma key effects, which makes your video more stunning. As for the interface, you don't need to worry as its interface is intuitive. It is a great free green screen editor for us to have a try.
- It is cross platform to use
- Video effects are rich
- It is simple and powerful to use
- It supports slow motion and time effects
- It is not friendly for beginners
Support: It will crash sometimes while editing
8. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is a free green screen editor. It supports Linux, Mac and Windows system, and it is an open source video recorder. Many people think it is just a video recorder, but you can use it to do many things, like making green screen video. After recording or directly import video to it, start doing chroma key effects. Its UI allows you to customize the interface, so it is very handy!
- It is free to use in all platforms
- You also can use to record screen
- You can make multiple scenes
- Various configuration options to use
- It is most powerful to record video
HitFilm is a free green screen editor. You can use green screen feature to make many creative videos in HitFilm easily. If you are a beginner and want to learn how to make green screen video, Hitfilm will also provide online course for you. You can make chroma key video with millions of users all around the world. If you want to use preset, it has more than 140 effects for you.
- 2D and 3D compositing for you to easily make green screen video
- Unlimited tracks and transitions to make your video more attractive as you will have more controls to your video
- You can make various green screen video
- As a green video software, HitFilm has international filmmaking community
- It needs some time to learn
It is a powerful editor for making green screen video. You can create chroma key video by advanced options, which will create the best composite. Besides, you can add keyframes in the timeline. Various transitions and effects are for you to use if you want to touch up your video. You also can add metadata to mark your frame.
- Powerful keying to use, including Delta keyer, Ultra, Chroma, Luma
- You also can make 2D and 3D titles to animate your video
- Support multi camera editing
- Stabilization makes green screen effects amazing
- It is for pro editor
Below is a comparison table about the 10 best green screen software.
|Filmora9||Freemium||Windows & Mac||Compositing Opacity, Tolerance, Thickness adjustment, Alpha Channel||Various video formats supported; Easy to use to make green screen video|
|Wax||Free||Windows||Can add plug-in for pros||Various video formats supported; Enable graphics acceleration|
|VSDC Free Video Editor||Free||Windows||Small program is easy to install||Drawing and selection tools are available; Easily to make green screen video|
|VirtualDub||Free||Windows||It is suitable for beginners||Stable to use; Easy to learn|
|iMovie||Free||Mac||It is popular on Mac||You also can use it on iPhone to make green screen video|
|ZS4 Video Editor||Free||Mac/Windows||User friendly||An advanced video editing software; Unlimited tracks; Custom speed|
|Lightworks||Free||Mac/Windows/Linux||An awarded editor||Proxy workflows for 4K; Powerful green screen editor|
|OpenShot||Free||Mac/Windows/Linux||Open source chroma key software||Support 3D animation; Various video effects|
|OBS Studio||Free||Mac/Windows/Linux||It is more than a recorder||customized UI interface|
|HitFilm Express||Free||Mac/Windows||Rich learning courses online||Unlimited tracks and transitions to make green screen video|
|DaVinci Resolve 15||Free||Mac/Windows/Linux||Chroma key to edit video||2D and 3D titles; Add keyframes|
Above are some of the best free green screen software that you can use on the market, and you can see most of them have a limited video editing feature and the interface is not so intuitive and modern. As you may have heard about it: free is always the most expensive. These Free chroma keying software may satisfy your basic video editing needs, but if you need more advanced features, it's best to turn to a professional green screen software. In fact, we have composed another article based on that view about best green screen video editors in case that you are looking for it.
For those who are looking for a powerful enough but do not want to cost a fortune, we recommend you to try Wondershare Filmora9 (Latest Filmora version 9). Filmora9 is available on Windows and Mac platforms. Just watch the video below and check out how to easily make green screen video with Filmora9.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>