To show the interactions and exchanges of things between the characters are widely seen in movies. It seems they are close to each other, but they aren't.
In this article, we will go with the video editor, Wondershare Filmora, to make split-screen videos instantly. Let's move forward to check what you need to make these videos!
In this article
Part 1. Prerequisites To Make Split Screen Video To Interact
There is no need to make complex videos. Because nowadays, only short videos get viral and are more trending. The interaction videos should be as simple as passing props or playing with someone!
Split-screen videos are widely used in movies and films because it is a visual way to describe any story. The actions will be based on real-time interactions between the characters. The essential things you are required to make these videos are described as follows:
First of all, you have to create a story with your friends and family, with whomever you want to create a video. For this, follow the below steps:
- Make a script of a story by coordination, such as writing all dialogues and actions so that there will be no difficulty during a performance on screen.
- Practice those actions again and again to get a professional look.
- The storyboard should be based on the split screen templates available on Wondershare Filmora, or you can create your customized too.
2. Characters on the screen
The friends with whom you are interacting should be on the screen and have assets to record a video wherever they are. It will be one person on one split screen or two persons on one. It all depends upon your story and script.
3. Prop to interact
A prop will be any particular thing used to show interaction and should be present in the homes of both characters.
4. A helper at home
There will be one person at home during video shooting to pretend a friend's or family's hand reaching to the other character from off-camera.
For example, while performing a high-five action, insert the hand of any member with whom you are living in the scene, showing as the character adjacent to you. After setting up everything in a row, it's time to record scenes for the video.
5. Record different takes
To give a professional look to the video, you have to record different takes for each person from different angles. After recording, everyone has to send footage to only one person to edit on Filmora.
After getting things and recording, it's time to edit it on Wondershare Filmora. For this, follow the lines below!
Part 2. Steps To Edit Split Screen Video in Filmora
Split-screen video editing is as simple as throwing a prop toward someone. Wondershare Filmora with a premium domain will get your back!
Filmora is a more creative and instant platform to edit any video or to give birth to new ideas. One of the prominent features is having ready-to-use templates for editing split-screen video. Meanwhile, you can also do a manual setup for editing. Follow the steps mentioned below to edit a video by using split-screen effects.
Split Screen Effect With Templates
Step1Import footage to Filmora
After picking up the best footage of every character, download the Wondershare Filmora (if you have not already). Then to import the clips, perform the following steps:
- First, click on the "Click here to Import Media" button, as shown below.
- Then, select the clips you want to edit from your PC, and then they'll be shown in the media section of Filmora.
Step2Add split screen effect to the timeline
Before adding the clips to the timeline, add the split screen effect to the timeline by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Click on the two-headed arrow at the upper tab.
- Then the drop-down list of two options will pop up, as shown below.
- Click on the Split Screen option, and it will show many split screen effects.
- Select the effect, whatever suits you, and download it then.
- After downloading, drag and drop the effect on the timeline section.
Step3Add clips to the effect
After adding the effect to the timeline, it's time to implement it on the clips or footage. For this, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Drag and drop the clips based on your storyboard in the required section.
- Then import the takes wherever and however you want, according to the storyboard.
If you don't want any templates to be used in your video, then you can manually make a screen split layout. To do this, check the below section.
Manual Split Screen Layout
If the storyboard is organized in such a way that you can't find out any of the templates suitable, then you can easily create a customized one for your video. In a customized split screen, you can set the duration and adjust the frame rate according to your choice.
Step1Import the clips
First, you must create a timeline to edit your split-screen video. To do this, take a look at the below steps!
- Click on the Import icon in the main preview when you open Wondershare Filmora.
- Then, import all the clips or footage you want to edit.
Step2Add all footages to the timeline
After importing all the clips of interaction videos into Filmora, our next step is to add our videos to the timeline.
- Simply click on the imported clips present in the project media section.
- Then drag it to the timeline below and drop it in the required track of videos.
Do the above-mentioned steps with all the clips present in the project media block.
Doing so will create a working timeline you can view and edit as you go along the editing process.
Step3Adjust the frame rate of all clips
It is all set that your storyboard is customized, for this you have to resize all the clips manually. To arrange clips according to the size, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First, double-click on the clip you want to edit in the timeline.
- The Basic settings of the video will open in which you have a lot of options to edit.
- Click on the Transform option, and its setting will pop up on the top left side.
- Find out the Scale option from the settings and check out its range.
Adjust the scale rate according to your choice by sliding from its section.
Step4Adjust the timing of clips
After adjusting the frame, you now have to adjust the timing of the clips. To perform this action, follow the below steps:
- Arrange and move around the clips on the timeline so that the timing of the scene lines up between each shot.
- Drag the edge of the clip to the right side if you want to increase the timing and duration.
- While dragging the edge of the clip to the left side, if you want to decrease the timing of the clip.
What to do if there is any lag in the preview?
If you're experiencing lag during the preview, click on the "render" button on the top right of the timeline. It will help to render for a smooth preview.
Step5Splitting the clips
If the timing in your scene starts to fall out of sync, then do the following steps:
- First, try splitting all of the clips.
- Ensure to split before they start to fall out of sync.
After splitting the clips according to adjustments and storyboard, you can now make one of the characters' videos in full screen. For this, follow the below steps:
- First, make another cut in the clips before the next hand-crossing action.
- Take one of the characters' videos from clips in-between moment and make them full screen.
You're now free to re-adjust your clips in the next part back into sync. If you still want to make any adjustments in duration or cutting or sizing, you can do it easily. Because it's a customizable effect. Give a pat on your Back! You did a great job and accomplish the results!
An instant way to make split screen video and edit it is hidden in Wondershare Filmora. You can unwrap it by following the above-mentioned steps and giving a new life to your interaction videos.
Enjoy new and creative ideas with your family and friends and make your video trendy by Filmora. If you are an influencer, you can interact with other bloggers and influencers and make split-screen videos. It will be a great treat for you and your social media followers!