- Creative Video Editing
- 1. Advanced Editing Tips+
- • Extract Frames from Video
- • Compress Videos
- • Remove Black Bars from Video
- • Freeze Frame in a Video Easily
- • Clone Yourself In a Video
- • Make Split-Screen Videos [30+ Creative Presets Available]
- • Sync Multiple Music Files with Video
- • Zoom Videos
- • Easily Slice Your Video Files
- • Mix Multiple Videos
- • Change Video Resolution Easily
- 2. Creative Ideas +
- • Create a Funny Video in Minutes
- • Edit and Personalize Videos
- • Cool Video Reversal Ideas
- • Duplicate an Actor Using Split Screen or Green Screen
- • Top Video Uploading Sites
- • Top Free Luts Download Sites
- • Easy Steps to Create a Meme
- 3. Improve Your Videos+
- • Improve Low Resolution Videos
- • Change Video Orientation
- • Improve Video Quality Quickly
- • 12 Steps to Get Better Video Editing
- 4. Edit Videos with Different Devices+
- • Edit Video in Windows Media Player
- • Edit a Webcam Video
- • Edit Videos Shot by Sony Digital Camcorder
- • Transfer Videos from Camcorder
- • Create Home DVDs
- • Edit Videos from Sony Camcorder
- 5. Software Reviews+
How To Extract Frames From Video With High Quality and Save to Images
While there are many screenshot tools that help you extract frames from video, most screenshot tools don't offer good quality. What's more, you will have a problem finding the perfect frame because they require you to use the video player of your choice, and that tool on its own doesn't offer frame-by-frame support.
This article will learn how to extract frames from video with our video editing software Filmora and save the edges into high resolution PNG images. So that you can use the video snapshots to create a meme or gif or create a new video with these fun moments frames.
Using Wondershare Filmora
Filmora 11 is one of the best video editors you can use to make your own content. So you can focus on your stories!
It is very easy to use especially for beginners as well as for professionals. Within 10 minutes you will be able to handle all the features offered by the video editor. It is available for both Windows and macOS.
How to Extract Frames from a Video and Save to High-Quality Images/Videos [One-Click]
Combined with the fact that exporting to a specific format can be either cumbersome or just unavailable, then you will fully understand why it's important to use a video editor just like Wondershare Filmora to extract those frames safely and with no quality loss in the end.
You can extract images from video in Filmora with just one click with an intuitive interface. Most importantly, you will get precise frames, no annoying lags. All you need to do is install the software and follow instructions to start extracting. Download Filmora to have a try!
Step 1: Import your video clip to Filmora
Import the media file first either by using the app or via drag and drop on the media library window. Videos will show as thumbnails in the library, so you can choose the one you need without a problem.
If you want to extract the frame and get the same resolution as the original, click the video thumbnail in the Media Library and then click the Play button in the Preview Window. Click the Camera icon to extract the frame in Filmora, and the extracted frames will be saved automatically to the media library.
Step 2: Extract frames from video Frame by Frame
In some cases, you may need to preview the video frame by frame and extract the perfect action in the video. In this case, you need to drag the video from the media library to the timeline panel.
Press the blank bar in the keyboard to start the preview. Take a screenshot when the video is playing simply by pressing the Snapshot icon or pressing CTRL+ALT+S.
You can use the Left or Right arrow button on the keyboard to playback the video frame by frame and save the frame in image format.
Where to find the extracted images in Filmora?
To find frames taken from the video, right-click the screenshot in the media library and then select Reveal in Explorer to check the saved image. Filmora video frame extractor is totally free to use when extracting frame images from videos, there'll be no watermark in the extracted images.
New to Filmora video editor? Check the secrets for enhancing video editing performance in Filmora.
Edit Extracted Frame Image
Since the extracted image frames will be displayed in the media library, you can add these photos to videos, or make a YouTube thumbnail, or make a Picture-in-Picture video.
You can choose to mask it, add in specific effects, and deliver some motion to make it more appealing. There are many customization options to choose from, and it all comes down to you.
After you are satisfied with the results, you will be able to export your video content. Click Export to start the export process, then choose the desired output format. You can easily customize the output file resolution and other settings depending on the format you choose.
In conclusion, using Wondershare Filmora to extract frames from video is not only very simple, it also offers an amazing set of opportunities. We recommend you try out the app immediately and you will surely have no problem extracting the desired frames.
Below is the video tutorial about how to Extract Frames From Video With High Quality and Save to Images in Filmora
Advantages of Using Wondershare Filmora to Extract High Quality Frames:
- Extract the frames from any format file and remain the same quality as the original video.
With Filmora video editor, you don't have a problem to extra frames from video. It has a wide support for various video formats. What's more, it supports 4K resolution. Thus, you can extract the same 4K frame and save it in 4K image. It offers great attention to detail, focusing on the exact moment you want to extract from it. At the same time, you can also access features like Flash and Hold and Snapshot that make the experience more refined and interesting.
- Edit the extract frames directly.
Filmora allows you to edit the extracted frames directly, which will make the entire process of extracting frames from videos simpler. You know the result and Filmora video editor offers you all the tools you need to perform a perfect extraction and video editing.
Check The Ultimate Guide for Beginners About How to Edit Videos in Filmora >>
- Export and share widely.
After extracting frames from the video or editing it in Filmora, you will need to export your files online or backup media. Wondershare Filmora helps you export to mobile, DVD, or Blu-Ray. It even allows you to publish your work on Vimeo or YouTube if you want, it all comes down to you, and the results will be great because of that.
Using VLC Media Player as an Alternative Method.
VLC is a popular open-source media player that can save sequences of images from a video having any format. VLC allows you to set the image format which allows you to get high-resolution images more than other free tools.
Let us get started;
• Install VLC Media Player into your system.
• Open VLC Media Player.
• Go to Tools and click on preferences .
• Click All under the show settings option.
• Expand the video and click on Filters.
• Now take the Scene Video Filter Box.
• Expand Filters and select the Scene Filter.
• Here, you need to set the Image Format, specify the Directory path, and provide the Recording Ratio.
• Leave the Image width and Image height at value -1. With this value, VLC will create an image of the same size and resolution as the video file.
• Choose an Image name Prefix and add a directory path where you want to save the images.
• The Recording ratio decides what proportional difference you want to export. For example; if you want to export 1 in every 10 frames, type 10 in the Recording ratio box. In such a case if your video is 30 fps, it will extract 3 images per second.
30/10 = 3 images / second
• Similarly if your video is five seconds long, it will extract 15 images per second.
3*5 = 15 images
• Click Save to apply the changes.
• Now close VLC Player and reopen it again.
• You can play any video you want.
The VLC Media Player will extract the frames and automatically saves the images into the specified folder. If you stop, pause, or skip the video, the Frame extraction will also stop and when you continue the video, the Frame extraction will also resume.
Once you are done, the options need to be turned off again because if you forget to do this VLC will keep extracting the frames from every single video you play.
I have explained both video editors in detail, how to extract frames from the video with high quality. If you are least concerned with the quality of the image extracted and you have a good internet connection, you can go for online editors as well. But if you are a professional video editor and you need to extract the frames in high quality, I would recommend you to use Filmora 11 which is a very powerful video editor. It would give you a very professional and high-quality result. Moreover, it is also compatible with Windows and Mac. It’s processing speed is faster than other free video editors.
For Mac users, there are quite a few solutions for video frame capture. Let us explore the top five video frame capture software for Mac.
by Liza Brown May 16, 2023 19:14 PM
Though there are many screen capture tools for Linux available on the market, we have picked up the 8 best tools that are excellent when it comes to user-friendliness.
by Liza Brown May 16, 2023 19:14 PM
Learn how to capture a screenshot or record your Mac screen with the best screen capture tools
by Liza Brown May 16, 2023 18:51 PM