How to Fix Black Screen in iMovie on Mac?
Mar 25, 2021• Proven solutions
iMovie is known to be one of the easiest to use and effective video editing tools for Mac users. But a majority of the users encounter issues and several problems while working on it and one such major issue that they face is a black screen. There have been several scenarios where users complain about this black screen problem. They say that they are unable to see the visual of the video before playing it or while playing it as the screen has nothing but a plain black wallpaper. On the other hand, many have been found frustrated as upon double-clicking the video to preview, and all they hear is the audio on a black screen.
According to experts, this happens due to faulty updates of the software, corrupted video, or poor connection of the hardware. However, many frequent iMovie users have also tried upgrading the version with the latest one, but nothing changed, they still get to see the black screen on the iMovie video player.
Understanding the importance of the black screen issue in the iMovie player by several users, we decided to write a few steps that users can take to fix the black screen issue while editing the videos in iMovie on Mac.
The Best Alternative to iMovie for Mac
All those frequent iMovie users who are already frustrated with the black screen issue should consider choosing one of the best, easy to use, and powerful alternative tools i.e. Wondershare Filmora. It is one of the most effective video tools and is also the best alternative for iMovie as it comes with several amazing features. Having a very simple and easy to use interface, Wondershare Filmora has all the video editing tools that one needs. It includes all the elements and features on the main screen which are available for Mac systems.
Those who are wondering about the incompatibility issues should know that this modern software does not have any. Offering more than 300 built-in video effects, the advance Wondershare Filmora video editing tool can include stunning effects and features to your videos with motion graphics, overlays, titles, and whatnot. It has almost similar features and effects to that of iMovie. Additionally, video editing in Filmora is also pretty easy due to its simple interface. Users who want to experience and edit the video can download the free trial version to give it a try.
Wondershare Filmora includes all the necessary tools to assist you in creating great-looking videos using impressive video effects, title templates, transitions and much more. Some advance video editing effects and features include the following:
- Simple to use for beginners while experienced users can handle it effortlessly.
- It has lightweight which is great for all kinds of Mac systems.
- It supports various kinds of input formats and has several export options including direct YouTube upload.
- It involves over 400 transition effects.
- It has impressive video editing features including overlays, filters, and other elements that can be easily applied using the drag and drop option.
- It comes with a built-in music and sound effect along with a stylish text title editor which is of both basic and advance level.
- It is modern and advanced in terms of audio editing, including audio ducking, and audio keyframes.
- It has a variety of presets such as video elements, effects, title templates, split-screen templates and much more.
- It includes built-in grading tools, possible to apply LUTs.
- It has an affordable lifetime license price and a fast video rendering speed.
Why Is There a Black Screen in iMovie on Mac?
Imagine editing your favorite videos using iMovie on Mac which you are about to finish and all of a sudden you find the screen that is all black, and you are only able to hear the audio and see nothing on the display. That can give you a mini heart attack because you are about to finish the editing process and this glitch in your iMovie can waste your hours of efforts.
Some of the common issues that cause a black screen to appear in iMovie on Mac include the following:
- Distorted video files due to incorrect importing procedure
- iMovie may not be working properly
- Glitch in iMovie when it was updated
- Corrupted iMovie library
- The issue with the Mac system
- Hardware related issue or memory may be full
- Unfortunate malware attacks can change the system files or structure of the videos
- The display adapter may have malfunctioned
- The external device may be causing trouble
- The video clip may not be downloaded properly
How to Fix Black Screen in iMovie on Mac?
There is nothing more annoying than editing the entire video using iMovie and finding a black screen on your Mac system in the end while you are previewing. But you need not worry there are steps to fix this issue.
- Step 1: Update the latest iMovie software in your system
- Step 2: Add any video into your project
- Step 3: Check your previews of the past video
- Step 4: Save the video when the display preview is in order
Some other ways to fix the black screen problem can be to restart your Mac system and delete some larger video files that take up a lot of your system's storage. You should delete such videos instantly otherwise this black screen issue will keep coming up while editing videos on iMovie.
Now that you know the reasons for the black screen and how to fix the issue, we hope you will be able to edit your videos effortlessly. If you still face issues and hurdles while editing videos on iMovie, you must consider downloading the free or premium version of Wondershare Filmora to edit your videos without any hassle. It is simple, easy to use even for beginners and contains all the best video editing features, giving a tough competition to iMovie. Avail the free trial offer today to seamlessly make extraordinary videos.