All You Need to Know About Upgrading to macOS 11 Big Sur
Sep 23, 2021• Proven solutions
“Is it wise to upgrade to macOS Big Sur?”
With surplus app enhancements like Memojis, Airpods switching, and a lot more, Apple has rolled out macOS 11 Big Sur with the most notable design change the market hasn’t seen for almost 20 years that you shouldn’t miss on. If you have decided on the macOS Big Sur upgrade and your Mac device has fulfilled the system & hardware requirements, you are all set, and we are as well. Yes, in our today’s article, here are complete details related to the Big Sur upgrade.
Part 1: Should You Upgrade Your Mac to macOS 11 Big Sur?
What would your answer be? Is it a yes or no? It is a yes from our side as that updating macOS Big Sur on your Mac makes sense and lets you open to a wide range of features. As the first point, the macOS Big Sur update will allow you to switch to a Mac with Apple’s ARM-based chip shortly. Also, you get the ability to run iOS apps on Mac that is the first time in Apple history.
Here are the reasons to find why a Big Sur upgrade worth trying for:
- Rendered desktop look: Customizable widgets, notifications management, control center, and redesigned visual complexity to provide more focus on the content.
- Memojis messaging mode: Get yourself introduced to this new Mac messaging trend with Memojis after upgrading to macOS Big Sur.
- Maps and messages: Try out the new Map version with the guides and cycling directions. With all-embracing searches and inline replies from group chats, messages get a new upgrade.
- Safari personalization: The Safari upgrade of Big Sur is pretty impressive with web page translation, extension store, and customizable start page. Importantly, it is 50% faster than chrome with the privacy report of website trackers.
Part 2: How to Upgrade to macOS 11 Big Sur?
Isn’t the macOS Big Sur upgrade extraordinary? Without a doubt, it is. Now that you are ready to upgrade to Big Sur, here is a step-by-step manual to be followed.
Note: Before starting the Big Sur upgrade, ensure you have checked the device compatibility or system/hardware requirements and provide stable internet connectivity. Make a backup of all the files as well to avoid data loss.
Step 1: Download macOS Big Sur
If your Mac device runs on Mojave or Catalina, go to the Apple icon > System Preferences > Software Update.
You can also click here to get it from the App Store.
Step 2: Install the update
After the download, the installer will open automatically, whereby clicking the “Continue” option, follow the onscreen instructions.
Note: Avoid actions like putting your Mac to sleep mode or closing the lid until the installation gets complete. Never get panicked as the system might restart, and the blank screen will appear several times.
Congrats, you have now successfully updated to macOS Big Sur and ready-to-go.
Part 3: Tips on Upgrading to macOS 11 Big Sur
Before or after an upgrade to Big Sur, you need to follow certain tips or tricks and this session is exclusively for it.
- Make a macOS Big Sur update automatically: Yes, suppose you are using OS X EI Captain v10.11.5 or later. The software update preference is set to the automatic new update; the new macOS Big Sur will download in the background and install conveniently with the notification.
- Stay up-to-date: Downloading or installing the macOS Big Sur upgradeisn’t a great deal, but being up-to-date is mandatory. Checking the system preferences or notifications regarding macOS Big Sure can help you.
- Learn about app compatibility: Apart from system or hardware compatibility, learning about 32-bit app compatibility is mandatory when the installer shows a list of apps not optimized for your Mac. Based on it, you can proceed to the installation process.
Bonus Tip: The Best Video Editor for macOS 11 Big Sur
Imagine or put yourself in a situation where you have accomplished the macOS Big Sur update on your Mac. The next complication you would face would be to choose the best apps that offer good compatibility to Big Sur. So, as a bonus tip, we are here with Wondershare Filmora as the best video editor that works well on macOS Big Sur.
The importance of a reliable video editor rises in different circumstances like videos on YouTube, or social media, presentations for your college project, and business-oriented works. Filmora is the all-in-one free-to-use video editor tool to carry out all your video-related processes. From essential tools like trim, merge, crop, rotate to advanced ones like keyframing, split cuts, and audio ducking, Filmora is loaded with uncountable features.
- Perform all audio-related actions like noise removal, background audio removal, adjustments, audio dunking, and split edits (L & J-cuts) in an easier way.
- Get clean intuitive interface with the easy-to-use timeline with the simple drag-and-drop actions, and the preview screen.
- Filmora has in-built filters, and 20+ effects including crazy ones like wings, love, and so on.
- Now match shots or photos taken from different cameras to blend them perfectly with the simplified color match feature.
- Toggle or switch to dark/light background in one-click with Filmora X.
Thus, with no ado, upgrade to macOS Big Sur following the tips and steps discussed here. However, if you are unsure about the new Big Sur update, you still have to reconsider your decision as you are about to miss a unique Mac history experience. Additionally, we have also discussed in short Wondershare Filmora as a one-stop solution to all your video needs!