Did you know using a photographer’s stock images without consent can land you in legal trouble? However, you can avoid a date in court by getting cool background images for websites from Pexels. The website hosts millions of professional photos from global photographers under the Creative Commons and Pexels license. In addition, you do not need an account or acknowledge the photographer to download photos. Keep reading to find out how to search for cool photos on Pexels.com.
In this article
Part 1: Search for cool photos or wallpapers
Pexels.com is a free online resource for stock content. It contains millions of stock photos and videos from contributors globally. In addition, it works similarly to google search, meaning you can identify specific photos using keywords and tags. Below are the top keywords to get cool photos on Pexels.com.
Top keywords to get cool photos on Pexels.com
Vintage editing of stock photos is a popular choice for lifestyle websites and blog posts. In addition, you can apply the finish using most video and photo editing software, including Adobe Lightroom and Filmora. Here is an example of a cool stock photo from pexels.com with a vintage finish.
2. Negative Space
Another top keyword to get cool background images for websites on pexels.com is negative space. Using the keyword allows you access to various stock images featuring all subjects such as human faces, abstract photos, and nature.
Stock photos with negative space are popular because they offer the freedom to input your text messages without adding too much noise to the image.
3. Cultural diversity
How do you make your commercial messages more appealing? First, try using stock photos that represent diversity. For example, you can include blended families or images that show gender equality. In addition, cool photos on pexels.com that feature subjects from different races are the most popular.
Organizations that cater to multiple audiences are the main users of these images since they make the messaging more relatable.
4. Flat lay
Are you familiar with flat lay stock images? These are images where you shoot your subjects from a bird’s eye view. In addition, your subjects need to be in a systematic order to prevent any confusion in your target audience. For example, you can arrange your photography equipment on a table to show the diversity required to shoot photographs.
Typically, cool photos on pexels.com under the flat lay keyword feature inanimate subjects such as food and equipment. Furthermore, flat lay stock photos are the best choice for social media posts on Twitter and Instagram. This is because they do not require much editing if taken correctly.
Feeling nostalgic, you can also get some cool photos on pexels.com using the retro keyword. Typically, these stock photos feature green and orange as the lead colors, with patterns and hard lighting combined to enhance the imagery further.
Most retro stock photographs feature a 70 or 80s look, which best articulates the hard light and bold color schemes. In addition, you will find these images featured in ad campaigns depicting food, home décor, and fashion, where you need to focus more on the subject details.
Part 2: Search for collections
Using keywords to find cool background images for websites on pexels.com also gives you access to different collections. The platform uses bubble tabs to present you with related photos to your primary keyword. However, these are not ways to refine your results. Instead, they give you alternatives to other stock photos that you can use to spread your message. Here is more information on collections of cool photos on pexels.com.
1. What is a collection on Pexels.com?
A collection on pexels.com is a grouping of photos and videos based on your keyword, photography style, or inspiration. Typically, the platform’s search engine uses your primary keyword to identify other creative assets within its library that may be suitable to your taste. For example, typing vintage on the pexels.com search bar will bring you bubble tabs that can include vintage cars, vintage houses, and vintage videos.
In addition, collections are often attributed to a single verified user of pexels.com. Therefore, you need to register an account before accessing the photos. However, you can decide to make your collections private or share them with other users. Keep reading to discover how to search for cool photo collections on pexels.com.
2. How to search for a collection?
Here are the most common ways of searching for a cool photo collection on pexels.com.
a) Using Keyword Search
- Type pexels.com in your device browser and hit the Enter
- Then, enter the keyword you desire in the search box, followed by the word collection, and hit search.
- The results will include all photos, videos, and users who feature the keyword in their files. For example, typing vintage photo collections in the search box present you with over 53,000 vintage photos and videos from different users.
- Furthermore, you can identify more photo collections by clicking the Explorebutton from the search bar.
b) Access your custom collections
Alternatively, you can create your custom collections using different cool photos from the pexels.com library. Follow these steps to begin collecting photos.
- Navigate to the pexels.com website using your device’s web browser.
- Then, identify the photo you want from the search results based on your keyword input.
- Click on the + sign at the bottom right corner of the photo to begin adding it to your collection.
- Once done, a pop-up box will appear, where you will click the Create Collection option.
- Finalize the process by adding a title to your collection and selecting whether you want it private or public.
3. What’re the best cool collections on Pexels?
Pexels.com features a leaderboard for photographers with the most views of photos and videos in the last 30 days. In addition, accessing the Leaderboard allows you to download the photographer’s shareable photo collections. Currently, these are the top 5 cool collections on pexels.
- Anthony Trivet
Total views: 68.8 million.
Genre: Nature, wildlife, and urban landscapes.
- Anna Savelieva
Total views: 8.8 million.
Genre: urban landscapes, cool stock photo guy & girls, and nature.
- Stijn Dijkstra
Total views: 115.3 million.
Genre: Nature, abstract, and digital photography.
- Kassia Melo
Total views: 20 million.
Genre: Vintage, Retro, Negative space, and cool stock photo models.
- Jonathan Cooper
Total views: 40 million.
Genre: Landscapes, skateboarding, cultural diversity, nature, and flat lay photography.
Part 3: Bookmark Cool Photographers
Aside from offering a rich library of cool stock photos, pexels.com also allows you to bookmark cool photographers. Follow these steps to bookmark your favorite contributors. Kindly note you will need to register and verify your account to activate the function.
1. How to follow a photographer?
- Enter the pexels.com URL on your device’s web browser and press Enter.
- Use the search bar to identify cool background images for websites from the library. For example, you can type Flat Lay to view free stock images from pexels.com contributors.
- Then, click on your favorite photograph to access its metadata. Here, you will access different pexel.com functions such as free download, collect,and like. In addition, you will have access to the contributor’s profiles, including their follow and donate
- Tap the Followbutton to bookmark the photographer as one of your favorites. Then, you will be redirected to a page where you can select only to download the photo or become a pexels contributor.
- Select the function you require to proceed to the log-in page. You can enter your details on the sign-up form if you do not have an account. In addition, you can also use your Facebook credentials to create a new account.
- Repeat the process if you want to bookmark more cool photographers on pexels.com.
Bookmarking cool photographers on pexels gives you exclusive access to their portfolios, including personal collections. In addition, you also receive notifications when they upload new photographs and videos to the platform. As such, you can download unique images before everyone else to use for personal and commercial purposes.
2. What are the best photographers that upload cool photos?
So, what are the best photographers that upload cool photos on pexels.com? You can access them through the Leaderboard from the top menu or click the Explore button to discover the most popular searches. Below are some of the all-time best photographers that upload cool photos.
- Eberhard Grossgasteiger
Total views: 4 billion.
Genre: Landscapes, nature, night photography, and portraits.
Downloads: 21.3 million
Total views: 2.5 billion.
Genre: Foliage, landscapes, and flat lay photography.
Downloads: 22 million
- Engin Akyurt
Total views: 1.8 billion.
Genre: Abstract, landscapes, flat lay photography, and nature.
Downloads: 12.5 million
- Markus Spiske
Total views: 1.4 billion.
Genre: Casual and everyday imagery.
Downloads: 5.8 million
- Steve Johnson
Total views: 1.3 billion.
Genre: Abstract and digital effect images.
Downloads: 5.8 million
Are all cool photos on pexels.com free?
Yes. Stock photos on pexels.com are free to use for personal and commercial use. However, those under the pexels license require alterations to the original before using them.