- • How-to tips for advanced video editing
- 1. Add elements
- See more
- 2. Split screen
- 2.1How to Make a Multi Screen Video
- 2.2Top 5 Free Video Splitters
- 2.3How to Easily Slice Your Video Files
- 2.4 How to put video side by side
- 2.5 How to make a split screen video
- 2.6 How to split video with auto scene detection
- 2.7 How to make PIP effects
- 2.8 How to shoot green screen video
- 2.9 How to duplicate an actor in video
- 2.10 How to clone yourself
- 3. Frame and stabilization
- See more
How to Put Two Videos Side by Side [Split Screen Video]
We might want to put two videos side by side for a number of reasons. Sometimes it is because we might want to look at the same thing, but from two different perspectives to grasp a better idea of it. At others, it's simply because we want to draw comparisons in two different plots at the same time that we want to look at them playing side by side. Sometimes you might want to compare the quality of two different videos for which you would want to play them at the same time to make a better judgement. People who share content online on sites like YouTube might want to use this feature in order to create an interesting video.
In this article, we will show some of the best video editing software to play two videos side by side on Windows and Mac, also the step by step tutorial of how to make a split-screen video to put two or more videos side by side and how to use video overlay to put videos side by side in details.
- Part 1: Top 4 Best Software to Put Two Videos Side by Side [Windows & Mac]
- Part 2: How to put two video side by side with Wondershare Filmora9 Split Screen [Tutorial]
- Part 3: How to put two video side by side with Filmora9 Video Overlay [Tutorial]
Part 1: Top 4 Best Software That Can Help You Put Two Videos Side by Side
If you don't know how to put two videos side by side, you can use different software that can help you achieve what you want to do.
1. Wondershare Filmora9 – the best software to put two videos side by side for beginners
One of the best software that you can use to put two videos side by side is Wondershare Filmora9. You can use it on your Windows PC as well as the MacBook. There are a number of things which sets it apart from others in the market:
- You can pick any videos from your library and without any problems, you can trim and split videos and put them side by side.
- It supports multiple video formats like AVI, MPEG, WAV, DAT, EVO and many others
- Besides that, it allows you to add audio files from your library as well to add to your videos, and you can use several formats for audio as well like AC3, MP3, WMA, WAV, AU, AMR etc.
- Make good use of your music with Audio Mixer and Audio Equalizer
- Make your footage look like Hollywood film with color tuning tool
- Various filter and visual effects to touch up your video.
- It also lets you upload video to YouTube, Facebook and other social media which support videos. You can easily burn the video to DVD too.
Wondershare Filmora9 also provides other video effects through which you can add credits or other text to your videos. It lets you make transitions more attractive as well as allows you to add sound effects. You can easily add other effects as well to enhance your video colors. Besides the basic tools, it gives you advanced tools which lets you add a picture-on-picture, Mosaic, Face-off, tilt shift your videos etc. When you are done with editing, you can save it to your laptop in any video format of your choice.
2. Adobe Premiere Pro - best tool for putting two videos side by side for beginners for professionals [Windows & Mac]
Considered as one of the best applications which can help you put two different videos on the screen at the same time. It helps you add other effects to your video as well. If you are working with Master Clips, the app will automatically work more smoothly. However, there have been some issues detected when you are running this app on your MacBook. Another setback of this software is that you have to rent the tools that you are using which means that you have to pay for them.
3. Final Cut Pro - Best video editing software for Mac user to create side by side video
Another efficient software for splitting videos is Final Cut Pro X 10.2. In addition to splitting your screen to add two videos at the same time, you can use many other features as well to enhance your content. It also allows you to refine the colors of your video by providing different tools. However, if you are a new user, you have to pay more. Furthermore, there are no integrated tracking options for mask effects.
4. iMovie: Built-in video editor for Mac user to create videos side by side
As iMovie is coming with all new iPad and Mac computers, you can now directly use it to edit and make split-screen video without any further installation, which makes it a good choice to put two or more videos side by side.
The process of making a side by side video in iMovie is using the Video overlay settings, which means you put two videos on different tracks and make sure that one is just above another, and then adjust the position in the preview window to make it side by side. You can check the video tutorial below to make a side by side video in iMovie.
For the detailed step of making split screen video in iMovie, you can check How to use the split screen in iMovie for Mac.
Part 2: How to put two video side by side with Wondershare Filmora9
Filmora allows you to create professional split screen effects by placing 2 or more video clips next to each other. There are split-screen 20 styles built in it for you to choose from. You can start, play, stop and pause these videos at the same time.In order to create split videos on Wondershare Filmora, follow these steps:
Step 1: Import video files you want to use to the media library.
Step2: Click split screen button, pick the target preset you want to use for your video and drag it to the timeline.
Step3: Drag the video or image to the Drop Zone to create a split screen video. Adjust the slider at the bottom of the Drop Zone to change the starting point of each video clip.
Note: when you play back these side by side videos, you may hear all audios from these video. In this case that you just want to keep one of it, just click the Volume icon in the Drop Zone to mute others video audio. If you don’t want any audio from these videos, you can turn it off and then add your own audio file. You can also apply a Border to each sub video clip and change the border color to make the side by side video stand out.
Step4: Click Export and save the split video to different formats, upload to YouTube or burn to DVD.
Part 3: How to put two video side by side with Filmora9 Video Overlay
Besides putting videos side by side with the split screen feature in Filmora9, you can also make it by using the video overlay feature, or PIP feature if you prefer. Follow the steps below to check how to placing videos side by side.
Step 1. Import Media to Media Library
Follow the above mentioned importing steps to load the video in Media Library.
Step 2. Place Videos in Different Tracks
Drag and drop the videos to various tracks and make sure that they have the same duration.
Step 3. Positioning in Preview Window
Drag the yellow box in the preview window and adjust the positions and size of each video to make it looks good. Or you can double click the clip in the timeline and then change its position, direction and scale under the Transform option.
Step 4. Audio Adjustment
Mute one audio of the video or both of them, and use your own audio file or the audio effects from Filmora9's Audio Library. You can also caption the videos with some cool text effects.
Step 5. Save and Export
After the previewing, click the Export button to export the side by side video in different formats or upload to YouTube and Vimeo directly.
Wondershare Filmora9 is an efficient video editing software which can help you create videos with split screen and put 2 or more videos side by side. It is easy to use as well, which makes it even better. For more video editing features of Filmora9, you can watch the introduction video below:
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>