- • How-to tips for basic video editing
- 1.1 How to join video files
- 1.2 How to edit video frame
- 1.3 How to rotate video
- 1.4 How to crop video
- 1.5 How to trim video
- 1.6 How to reduce video size
- 1.7 How to compress video
- 1.8 How to improve video resolution
- 1.9 How to change aspect ratio
- 1.10 How to reverse your video
- 1.11 How to resize videos
How to Rotate or Flip Your Video on Windows/Mac [3 Methods]
Have you ever captured video with a cell phone or compact camera only to find it's vertically oriented and you can't view it properly? Before you go straining your neck or flipping your monitor in order to watch your video, we'll show you a few easier methods by rotating videos.
If simply want to rotate the video while you watch it, you can simply accomplish that within your media player like VLC. If you want to rotate the video permanently when making a video, try Wondershare Filmora9, which allows you to rotate a video and save it on Windows and Mac. It enables you to rotate video files in almost any video format including MOV, MP4, WMV, MKV, MTS, FLV, 3GP and more and rotate it at any angle. Here you can download this software and learn how to rotate your YouTube video in any direction on Windows and Mac. : you can rotate your video in 90 or 180 degrees clockwise or anticlockwise- whatever you need to correct the orientation.
- Part1: How to Rotate a Video with Filmora9 [Windows/Mac]
- Part2: How to Rotate a Video with VLC Media Player for Free
- Part3: Rotate Videos on Windows for Free
You may also like: How to rotate your upside down/sideway photos on iPhone >>
Part 1: How to Rotate a Video with Filmora9
Filmora9 is PC-Mac Cross platform compatible, in the tutorial below, we will show you how to rotate a video in Windows 7/8/10 with Filmora9 step by step. You can now rotate the upside down video and rotate left to side. Let’s go on.
1.Import video files for rotation
2. Separate the fragment to be rotated (optional)
3.Rotate or flip your video
Double click the video on the timeline to bring up the editing panel. The Rotation options are located on top under Transform tab, including 4 options:
- Rotate: Rotate video upside down, rotate left, rotate right, or 90 degrees clockwise, rotate video 180 degrees, 270 degrees and rotate back to the original position. Rotate video 90 degrees anticlockwise and continuously, similar to Rotate 90 degrees clockwise but in anti-direction. You can move the Rotate Slider or enter the rotate value directly.
- Flip: You can flip the video clip horizontally left to right or vertically upside down, just like looking at yourself in a mirror.
- Scale: Adjust the size of the rotated videos from 0 to 4X.
- Position: Adjust the position of the rotated video clip to anywhere you like in the video footage.
Select any of the Transform effects you like to rotate left or right or flip your video and check the result in the preview window. When you get satisfied with the orientation of your video, hit "OK" and your clip will be rotated in the chosen way. Now you can turn to saving your video or continue editing.
4.Export the rotated or flipped video
Why choose Wondershare Filmora to Rotate/Flip Video?
Using Wondershare Filmora, you can easily achieve the following editing features:
- Easily rotate or flip your video files in just one click.
- Edit video/audio/photos with go-to features like trim, split, crop, etc.
- Make a picture-in-picture video,change the voice for fun with animated titles.
- Control the action with speed up and slow down effects.
- Share your video anywhere: TV, YouTube, Facebook, iPhone, PSP, etc.
If you are looking for some more tools to rotate and flip your video clips, you can check the list Top 5 Free Tools to Rotate or Flip Videos .
Part 2: How to Rotate a Video with VLC
VLC Media Player is a totally free to use software. Normally, people tend to think it is a media player, but if you look into deeper, VLC is also a video editor. Also, it can run on almost all platforms like Windows/Linux/Mac/iOS/Android as an open source player. More importanly, you can use it to rotate or flip videos easily. Below are the steps on how to rotate a video with VLC Media Player easily.
Step 1: Open VLC media player and load the video that you want to rotate.
Step 2: Click Effects and Filters under Tools. Then select Video Effects tab where you can rotate video.
Step 3: Then go to Geometry under the subtab Video Effects. Check Transform to select a dirction that you want to rotate. You can rotate by 180/90/270 degrees. Here, you can also flip your video. Besides, you can also rotate video by a certain angle.
Note: When you open up a new video, this settings are still saved, so remember to uncheck the rotation.
Part 3: Rotating Videos with Windows Movie Maker For Free
If you are using Windows7 and having Windows Movie Maker installed on your PC, you can rotate video clips on Windows for free. Here is a brief tutorial about how to rotate a video on Windows with WMM.
Note: Windows Movie Maker has been discontinued and can’t downloaded from Microsoft official website. If you want to download a copy of WMM from third party website, please make sure the website is trustable.
The steps of rotating videos on Windows with Movie Maker is similar to that in Filmora9: Importing video clips to Windows Movie Maker, preview the video clip and then apply Rotate feature to rotate videos left or right.
Tips: What's the differences between "Rotate" and "Flip"?
Rotating a video is to spin around on its axis, while Flipping is to turn the object over. The rotation doesn't change the shape of the video, but will change the position. Flip do change the shape and the side which originally faced upwards will face down, like reflection.
Above are the solutions that you can use. You can use VLC to rotate video. However, if you want to have more video editing options and have a better editing experience, we strongly recommend Filmora. Download to have a try!
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>