- • How-to tips for basic video editing
- 1.1 How to join video files
- 1.2 How to edit video frame
- 1.3 How to rotate video
- 1.4 How to crop video
- 1.5 How to trim video
- 1.6 How to reduce video size
- 1.7 How to compress video
- 1.8 How to improve video resolution
- 1.9 How to change aspect ratio
- 1.10 How to reverse your video
- 1.11 How to resize videos
How to Rotate or Flip Your Video on Windows (with 2 Methods)
Have you ever captured video with a cell phone or compact camera only to find it's vertically oriented and you can't view it properly? Before you go straining your neck or flipping your monitor in order to watch your video, we'll show you a few easier methods.
If simply want to rotate the video while you watch it, you can simply accomplish that within your media player like VLC. If you want to rotate the video permanently, try Wondershare Filmora. It enables you to rotate video files in almost any video format including MOV, MP4, WMV, MKV, MTS, FLV, 3GP and more. Here you can download this software and learn how to rotate your video in any direction: you can rotate your video in 90 or 180 degrees clockwise or anticlockwise- whatever you need to correct the orientation. Let's check the tutorial first.
You may also like: How to rotate your upside down/sideway photos on iPhone >>
Part 1: How to Rotate a Video with Filmora
1.Import video files for rotation
2.Separate the fragment to be rotated (optional)
3.Rotate or flip your video
Double click the video on the timeline to bring up the editing panel. The Rotation options are located on top, including 4 buttons:
- Rotate video 90 degrees clockwise and continuously so that you can also rotate video 180 degrees, 270 degrees and rotate back to the original position.
- Rotate video 90 degrees anticlockwise and continuously, similar to Rotate 90 degrees clockwise but in anti-direction.
- Flip video horizontally, upside down.
- Flip video vertical, left to right, like looking at yourself in a mirror.
Click the button to rotate or flip your video and check the result in the preview window. When you get satisfied with the orientation of your video, hit "Return" and your clip will be rotated in the chosen way. Now you can turn to saving your video or continue editing.
4.Export the rotated or flipped video
Tips: What's the differences between "Rotate" and "Flip"?
Rotating a video is to spin around on its axis, while Flipping is to turn the object over. The rotation doesn't change the shape of the video, but will change the position. Flip do change the shape and the side which originally faced upwards will face down, like reflection.
Why choose Wondershare Filmora to Rotate/Flip Video?
Using Wondershare Filmora, you can easily achieve the following editing features:
- Easily rotate or flip your video files in just one click.
- Edit video/audio/photos with go-to features like trim, split, crop, etc.
- Make a picture-in-picture video,change the voice for fun with animated titles.
- Control the action with speed up and slow down effects.
- Share your video anywhere: TV, YouTube, Facebook, iPhone, PSP, etc.
If you are looking for some more tools to rotate and flip your video clips, you can check the list Top 5 Free Tools to Rotate or Flip Videos .
Part 2: How to Rotate a Video with VLC
VLC is a totally free to use software. Normally, people tend to think it is a media player, but if you look into deeper, VLC is also a video editor. Also, it can run on almost all platforms like Windows/Linux/Mac/iOS/Android as an open source player. More importanly, you can use it to rotate or flip video easily. Below are the steps on how to rotate a video easily.
Step 1: Open VLC and the video that you want to rotate.
Step 2: Click Effects and Filters under Tools. Then select Video Effects tab where you can rotate video.
Step 3: Then go to Geometry under the subtab Video Effects. Check Transform to select a dirction that you want to rotate. You can rotate by 180/90/270 degrees. Here, you can also flip your video. Besides, you can also rotate video by a certain angle.
Note: When you open up a new video, this settings are still saved, so remember to uncheck the rotation.
Above are the solutions that you can use. You can use VLC to rotate video. However, if you want to have more video editing options and have a better editing experience, we strongly recommend Filmora. Download to have a try!
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>